Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Humour: I have a right to offend

NGONGE   

Aha! I see that my thread inspired plenty of thoughtful and incisive replies on the subject of humour. Good, good, that’s the spirit. :D

First of all, let me deal with the easy ones. FF & Nifty, thanks for “explaining†the not too subtle joke, though the explanation of a gag, I feel, dents its beauty and cheapens the author’s overall status.

Dawaco, I sincerely hoped it wouldn’t be you who would fall for that obvious “set-upâ€. I suppose, as you already agreed, we indeed do have something in common. I was going to add that though we’re both tiresome and tedious, I at least could hide behind my humour. But I then saw your comments about holocaust survivors and it got my mind racing. I imagined the survivor listening to you solemnly and then recounting a tale full of the horrors of the gas champers and his deep hurt and sorrow for his fallen comrades. The thought saddened me and I almost repented! But, I then saw the face of this survivor of yours break into a smile and telling you that he’s overjoyed that he survived. I could almost see him make a weak joke about how he almost became a shish kebab!

Brown-Brotha, your case is significantly more critical than Dawaco’s so I’m going to tread carefully here and extend you my sincerest and heartfelt apologies for any offence my words, letters or just the fact that my name is on your screen, might have caused you. I also have to show my appreciation and total admiration for your coolness and composure under these severe circumstances. Here you are, with all this pain and all these scars, still trying to keep the tears back and cheering us all up with YOUR jokes about bread, cappuccino and, yet again, toasted bread! When I grow up, I want to be like you, saaxib. One in a million!

Juxa, I’m going to be nice and serious with you. I wouldn’t know what my first thought would be if someone had killed my family in front of me. I probably can imagine it but I’m sure that I’d still fall way short. I might even laugh out of madness. But, like I said, since it’s something I didn’t experience and wouldn’t want to experience, it’s also something I can’t fully reply to. If this is something you’ve witnessed then I’m sorry to hear it, accept my bleated condolences. I shall not attempt to reason with you on this subject and beg that you try to avoid it altogether. Again, my condolences, walaal.

Back to the subject of humour and whether it should be censored! Ahem, be serious now and give your opinions.

^^^Of course NGONGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Allah, Islam, Prophets, angels, dead people, somebody's mother ( :mad: )...sex?--etc. shouldn't be joked about.

On a sidenote: I heard jokes were haram because it was based on lies! :confused:

Edited: oops.......havent read your earlier post! :D

Well depends if humour is used to humiliate, hurt another person/people or if its used in a carefree/joking/fun manner.

Ex. I read this joke yesterday...my brother laughed hysterically over it and I didnt consider it funny.

A black woman has an abortion. The next day, she recieves a check in the mail for $500 from crimestoppers. icon_razz.gif

Juxa   

ngonge you are right! there is no point in reasoning with you. obviously you have not witnessed therefore you can not relate nor sympathise with yr fellow somalis.

so what is the point? when prince harry wore that swatsika arm-band, atleast he apologised to the jews. here we have a brother, admittedly saying he does not know what he is talking about, yet finding humour on others pain.

keep your condelances and patronising words, i am sure you will need it for the next nomad you offend with your callous, unthoughful, unwitty, shameful indulgences.

by the way, next time maybe you could vote for the European parliment, probably make suggestion to add "right to offend" in the ECHR. i hear they gonna amend it soon.

Oh... I c the emotional baggage from the other thread has poured onto this one. Wonderful. :D

And here I was thinking this was an objective discussion on "humour". ha! Objective and Somalis - what an oxymoron! heh.

FF

sex?--etc. shouldn't be joked about.

No? :eek:

dawoco   

Let's look at this objectively :D

Now honestly, who is carrying the emotional baggages? Death becomes all of us(intii dhimatay allah u naxariisto, but how abt the silac ku noolayaasha?!)

Allah helped those who still wake up sweating and screaming just thinking themselves back bare-feeted, at the back of a lorry, in a 90 degree heat going south, somewhere called kismaayo.

to the lolly-sucking and nintendo-playing>>>I'll be back for you.

Blessed   

^^ Excuse me for being insensitive walaalo.

I really don't understand why the brothers self-debasing piece offends you guys so much. I’ve read it as a joke on Ngonge not the people who were suffering back home. Is he blame-worthy for being such a wotless youth?

Was he supposed to xawaashee his take on the matter and lie to the nomads, pretend he was torn apart, hurt and that he cried all day long?

<---Was looking forward to having a laugh on Ngonge but he is still smiling redface.gif . This is BORING.

AYOUB   

Ngonge it all depends on timing and the individuals you share with or subject your humour to. :D

Originally posted by dawoco:

(intii dhimatay allah u naxariisto, but how abt the silac ku noolayaasha?!)

yeah how abou us? :(

Juxa   

Ameenah, no walaalo, we did not mean to ruin the joke for ya! we wont dream of it (when i say we, i refer to the obvious).

however we just did not agree. surely differences in opinions are allowed and it does not warrant for other pple's protection or speaking on ngonge's behalf.

as he has proven more than one occassion, he is quite capable of doing it all by himself!

ps: should i expect more supporters or like-wise thinkers giving their take? i wonder, how many more are blessed with the sense of humour that we are lacking.

dont hold it. let it out. wixi uurka kujira, afka baa soo xada eh!

From one side of your mouth:

keep your condelances and patronising words, i am sure you will need it for the next nomad you offend with your callous, unthoughful, unwitty, shameful indulgences.

then the other:

however we just did not agree. surely differences in opinions are allowed

Make up your mind, wont you? :rolleyes:

------

ps: should i expect more supporters or like-wise thinkers giving their take? i wonder, how many more are blessed with the sense of humour that we are lacking.

Why are you making it about you?

Oi! Oi!

Let me respond to the comment about the easy ones: FF and Nifty. I finally got where your 'Humus' Was aimed @!! . Pure hearted clean teethed damsels. Moving along........ :D

Lets start this from the bottom up, You said when you grow up you wanted to be like me eh?, eh eh. How much more growing do you have to do?

No seriously by the time you grow up, hell will freeze over. icon_razz.gif

About the content of the entire piece, one thing caught my eye.

the fact that my name is on your screen, might have caused you.

What? , Your name?, no no sir.Your name is actually not the problem

The content of what you said was what i had an issue with. Be it bread or cuppacino or more bread as you put it and or toast. either ways. No i dont have a problem with your name.

if you want an opinion about the name, we can open an entire thread about it.

let me know!~

dawoco   

And the plot thickens ladies and gentlemen.

Femme, sister, though it appears quiet obvious, lemme ask you this maxaa ku gubaayo aa la yiri

The "you2 you were so fond to put in bold emposes more individual than your pretty mind can comprehend. For your info,juxa's mind is crystal clear and she isn't hiding behind smoke screens.

Now i really dnt see why you should be getting involved, as you fail to grasp the issues at hand. But let me indulge you for a bit.

Jokes abt blondes and politicians=good.

Jokes abt people trapped in a war not of their making=bad, very very veeery bad.

Now if that concept doesnb't register in the minds of the deffenders, pls let me know as i will be obliged to expressed in a more laymans term, tho i am fully confident in your deducting capabilities.

Jokes abt people trapped in a war not of their making=bad, very very veeery bad.

This conversation is a waste of time...because I see that neither of you have even read what he said. You are just assuming and jumping to conclusions. I fail to see why any of you should really care that much. What is it to you? How do you know that he hasn't any family that suffered there?

Qeelada naga dhaaya yaqeey.

P.S. Dont patronize me. I thought we were talking adult to adult...but it seems that some people are reverting back to high school days. And I, for one, am not interested in going that route.

maxaa ku gubaayo aa la yiri

A better question is what is bothering you? You are getting too worked up and emotional over this. Its not normal. Really.

Blessed   

Juxa

Walaalo, I simply think his / others posts have been taken out of context.

Now the topic here is, in light of the other thread, should humour be censored?

In my view no, not when it's taken out of context.

Also, those who are attacking poster have all made brash comments about the intellectual capacity of qurbawi kids; this is where I come in :D

Perhaps, we lack the sensitivity you guys have developed through your first hand experience of the war.

But you know what, for many qurbawi kids it simply didn't register at the time. It was like any other day. That's a fact that we shouldn’t have to apologise for. Esp. in a discussion that specifically asks what we did and where we were on that day...it's a fact that will surface.

As you've beautifully put it...."wax la qariya, qurun aa ku jira!" ...

So why do you and co demand that others sugar coat reality..? We hadn't a clue what war in Somalia was like.

Baashi   

I read the other thread so I can at least understand what the fuss is all about. Where were you when the civil war broke out and what were you doing was the question and most of the nomads shared their experience in that faithful day. Some were lucky enough to be having good time in the safety of their homes with all their loved ones safe and sound, and around. Others were not so lucky and it so happened that they were fleeing for their life, lost loved ones along the way or perhaps were starving, some got raped, handicapped by bullets, and still others never made it to their destination. Who said life is fair!

Now, come to this thread and I’m not so sure if I got where Ngonge is going with this one. It looks like our great comedian is onto something today. I usually like to read between the lines to cover all the basis and see if I can understand all the conceivable intentions of the author. The tone too is important. I’m not sure but the tone of this post is serious one. This is what I come up with:

1. Humor is good when the intention is not to offend people.

2. Humor has no place to poke fun at Allah, tragedy, etc.

Okay! On the other hand;

1. Humor that offends people (even though unintentional) is admirable because humorless folks deserve to be offended.

2. If Ngonge’s humor offends you the nomads, well you better have crocodile skin.

Finally, he wants to know if that kind of humor should be censored.

Awesome :D I like Ngonge...he is one of a kind.

Note: FF and others just get a life and let the man socialize with his fellow nomads without being so protective of him. Even though he is "casiir" this one is tough cookie I tell ya. You guys are doin too much of tailgating lately...even I noticed.

**War bal haye...ha la is qasho oo la ha is diriro, ha la is xagxagto. Barbarkeey ka baxdaa waa bakeyle galeen!**