Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Humour: I have a right to offend

^Oi.

The master hasnt spoken yet. You should at least wait till he responds and then.

I was wondering when you will finish making his tea anyways. or was it bread? eitherways why does it matter? we can laughoff dead ppl.

surely we can laugh about an amused damsel being amused by an older farax eh?

Dawaco, i dont know if you have realised but the 2 here(ngonge and his sick-retary!), have a tendency to argue for the sake of arguing.

:rolleyes:

Anyways, ff, wait for the boss to speak.(you know how he loong he takes to edit, proof edit, and then edit some more, then go to the dictionary and look for words...!) eitherwys, let him speak first!

:D

Assalamu Alaikum

Chill out people. icon_razz.gif

----------

Does anyone else see the irony in the thread "I have the right to offend"! :Dicon_razz.gif :rolleyes:

STOIC   

1. Humor that offends people (even though unintentional) is admirable because humorless folks deserve to be offended.

2. If Ngonge’s humor offends you the nomads, well you better to get a crocodile skin.

Baashi, looking at the way you set his argument we can ask ourselves is Ngonge using his humour as a tool to get his point across or as a weapon of mass destruction (WMD) to offend others?.If the intention(which is imposible to know) of the humour is to use as a tool to enlighten the offended then i think that is beneficial.The second question we have to ask ourselves will be is he using his humour to offend others so that he might get his point across?-If so then we shouldn't be falling for his specious humour!.

humour is all u got qoxooti! the world will chew u out, spit on u and then disgard like a basbaas caused diarahrea!

did u hear about the legged man who entered a butt kicking contest!! :D

get up shine like the sun, thank your Allah, and dont let no one stop yah!!

you cant go back to the past, forgive-n-forget, let Allah be the witness but u march full blast, and smile, laugh and be joyfull...

laughter and humour is the best medicine to kick the blues!! cel la via!! u got nothing to lose!!

amiin!

N.O.R.F   

Ngonge described his experience, this is what he said:

“I vividly remember that dark day in my life. Even now, almost fifteen years later, I still wake up in the middle of the night sweaty and disturbed by flashing dreams and disconcerting images.

I was an adolescent youngster, inexperienced and carefree. Life was great and easy back then. I had just purchased my new Nintendo console and was eager to play the Super Mario game that all my friends were raving about. The phone rang. I ignored it. It carried on ringing and ringing. In the meantime, Super Mario was crushing all those turtles. My mother walked into the room, slapped my head and muttered something then answered the phone. I carried on playing my game. Some time went by before I sensed that something was not right with the room! My mother was not on the phone anymore!

I turned round and looked at her (another turtle killed Mario). She was staring at me with an angry look! She waved the phone handle on my face and said, “It’s for YOUâ€. I panicked. Who could it be?

I took the phone of her hands and uttered a tentative HELLO! It was my friend (Cali Matag). He heard about my new computer game and was asking if he could come over and play. I told him that he could. He said that he’d drop by in an hour’s time. I hurriedly agreed and impatiently tried to end the conversation so as to get back to my game. I said BYE. He said BYE.

Just as I was about to put the phone down, I heard him say, “By the way, did you hear about the war in Somalia?â€

I hadn’t of course, but I quickly replied in the affirmative and hung up. Two weeks later, I was bored of my Super Mario game. The pointless guilt though, still remains.

PS

In reality of course I only found out about the war when the Somali guys I used to play football with used to discuss it and then turn to me and say “adna na xaggad ka qaxday?â€...for some reason “Carabta†was not a reply they appreciated!â€

The way he described what was going on around him and his emotions at the time can be construed as being offensive, especialy to someone who has experienced far greater hardhsip at the same time by simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I’m sure Ngonge lost family and loved ones also. He just happened to be in carabta/uk at the time hence his ‘lighter’ take on things.

AS for the question of making jokes out of attrocities, I tend to find that offensive. But is what Ngonge said making a mockery of the Civil war and hardship experienced???

Xoogsade   

NGONGE has done nothing wrong within his context and commenting on where he was and what he was doing. If there was minimalization of events on his part, I think he intended to lessen any emotionality resulting out of the subject at hand according to my understanding. But then again, waxaa la yiri, hadal ninna si u yiri, ninna si u qaadey.

NGONGE   

Heh. It’s a shame that what I thought would be a very good topic has descended into this charade of attempting to explain a joke (purists would even say that such comments as the ones I wrote could not be classified as a joke. It has no punch line, see)!

Juxa, I’m saddened and slightly perplexed (though not enough to ruin my day) to find out that you took my sincere condolences as an attempt to patronise! Those words were genuine and the intention was real. However, since you refused to take heed of my advice and continued on posting on and reading this thread, I see no reason why I should not be blunt too and say my piece (as you already know I cherish my right to offend).

I don’t know about your pain, didn’t ask to know about your pain and am not interested in your pain. This is your very private business. If you wish to share it with people then it’s your choice and you are free to do so. However, don’t shove your pain down my throat and demand that I feign fake sympathy. Events that happened in YOUR personal life do not concern me nor keep me awake at night. Events that happened to the Somalis in general do, at times. You need to wipe those tears away and see the distinction between the two.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but this reaction of yours (and others) is yet another example of how emotional people on this site are! There has to come a time when you people stop the wailing. When someone starts a topic about domestic violence a number of people get offended because they happen to be female and females are, usually, the ones at the receiving end of such a sick social disease. The issue becomes personalised and extremely absurd. Young, single women start tearfully hypothesising about being struck and recount their vengeful reactions to such an artificial scenario!

If the topic is religion, the only Mullah (and there are plenty of those) on the site finds something to offend him/her and starts spastically posting long (cut and paste) articles that are taken out of context just to prove and show how big his wound is! A wound, which, again, was inflicted by a hypothetical situation!

Now we come to politics, the hub of all that’s righteous and pious. Here, all are twitching and trembling. Their eyes are all stressed from the long and dedicated effort of Looking For Trouble. Where is the motive they say, where is the hidden agenda, is it about my people, my neighbours, someone I met in passing, anyone, anything or something related to ME?

Some people notice such absurdity but choose to have a quite life. Silence is golden being their motto. Others, like a spectator in a Sufi dance, get intoxicated by the enticing wailing and find themselves slowly becoming one with the weeping throng! To my shame, I confess that I often fell victim to such tendencies. Nonetheless, hysteria is not a personality trait I’d want to keep.

Topics and discussions should, in the most part, be free from pointless hysterics. Debates should not cater for the lowest common denominator and retorts should (even if they fail) endeavour to stand out and have some quality about them. When someone starts a trivial topic asking: Where were you when the attack on the Twin Towers took place? One is presented with three choices; either to ignore the pointless question; or to reply with a dull and descriptive reply detailing one’s dreary routine on that day. The third option is reply while making light of the question and the situation. All options are valid, though, subtly mocking the author and the topic (in the way he/she presented it) would be (in my opinion) the best course of action.

One should not attempt to run before one could walk. When reading a piece, one needs to comprehend it, understand it and analyse it (if need be). To go into a topic with preconceived ideas would only add to the confusion of someone with an already poor reading comprehension skill.

I feel like I should go on preaching but fear that my audience are starting to nod off, therefore, I’ll quicken my pace and end my piece by wishing that it hopefully satisfied its purpose and offended everyone in equal measure (I might be insensitive but I believe I’m fair).

Still, rather than look at specifics, I’m more interested in the proverbial big picture. Humour in general and when it should be applied or whether it should be censored. Be warned, I shall not deal with your pain anymore. You’re free to participate in the discussion should you wish though.

Baashi   

FF,

What else would you expect from qaat-chewing qaxooti but inuu ka soo boodo from nowhere. :D Remember I’m a nomad...a nomad who just don’t get it...I don'tunderstand this biz of offending people (any) that you (n others) find the need of defending. Btw, ever heard “af jooge looma adeego†there is some hikmah in there. I noticed a trend here darling :D

Ngonge,

Let’s discuss humor then. Humor is good when all participants can laugh the good laugh and called it a day when all is said and done. Saaxiib offending people (fickle ones included) is not (and should not) be admirable. Most folks would retract whatever they said that offended the other side and apologize as soon as it becomes apparent that their humor is not funny anymore. You don’t find many sensible and polite people asking a license to libel or insist that they reserve the right to offend others.

I don’t think you said anything wrong in the other thread even though your post could be construed as being indifferent. However, in this post you seem to be saying it’s admirable (the operative word is admirable) to offend the fickle and humorless folks. I don’t know if we’re supposed to find that statement humorous! :D

NGONGE   

Northerner,

Joking about computer games aside, why do you think making lighthearted quips about atrocities is wrong?

When making a joke about someone or something don’t we do it to laugh at the misfortune of such a person or situation? Do you find Mr Bean funny?

On a serious note, should censorship be applied to all forms of humour or only selective ones?

Let me give an example; in Joseph Heller’s famous novel Catch 22, he pokes fun at the American soldiers during world war two. The book is hilariously satirical and gives a completely different picture of the war. Remember, this was a war that involved, amongst other things, the attempt to completely exterminate an entire race (people can dissect the truthfulness of this point at their leisure). Heller, instead of talking about the Nazis as being the bad guys, the plight of the Jews in the concentration camps or even the heroism of American soldiers, decided to mock the whole war and the reasons for it. His book is all about the corruption, confusion, laughable sadness and unfairness of the war. He does not shirk from comically addressing death and humour found when one loses his mind in such circumstances! His book has been a best seller for decades. Now, since he’s discussing an atrocity (the biggest war man has ever known) should his words be censored for fear of making offence?

What say you about newspaper caricaturists? They too have to daily paint whimsical caricatures about certain events and situations. In most cases, their paintings are humorous despite the fact that they’re covering a topic such as the Iraq war or the Tsunami! Encouragingly enough, there are some Somali artists doing exactly the same thing about the state of Somalia. Their work too is humours and does not fail to raise a smile in spite of the topics they cover! Should they be banned?

Should people allow the thought police to decree what’s tasteful and what’s not? What other, offensive things should be banned?

NGONGE   

Baashi,

There is a difference between real life, written words and the media in general. In real life offensive humour should be avoided lest one get a black eye or, in the least, for purposes of social harmony. Diplomacy and compromise would be the only routes there. That’s because in real life one meets all kinds of people and one is forced to “fit inâ€.

In media (TV, radio, newspapers, discussion forums or novels) one is not as restricted by such consideration. You see, when one unintentionally offends, one would apologise and be polite in real life for the reasons of “keeping the peaceâ€. One does not do it because one was wrong, how could you be unintentionally offensive?

In all mediums other than real life, one is not obliged to toe the line and avoid stepping on soft eggshells (it’s impossible to do so)! If one even attempts it, he’ll either be forever apologising or, worse still, he’ll stop commenting on all things for fear of making offence. These outlets should be used for reasons of creativity, pushing of boundaries and challenging prevalent attitudes. If one is stopped from being “free†with his words, it becomes a form of oppression. You would be gagged, saaxib! The way I see it, upsetting and offending a few fickle souls is a small price to pay if what’s at stake is your freedom of thought (not speech). If one does not set out to particularly be offensive yet people get offended, one will only deserve admiration if these minor hiccups did not prevent him from following on with his chosen path rather than cowering and giving in to the fickle mob.

Of course, if a joke is dull it will just be ignored and die. But even dull jokes need to be aired.

I think there is fine line between putting something in a light hearted way in order to reduce the shock value or just poking fun at others misfortune. Political cartoons depict situations – sometimes exaggerated, other times just to point out the entire stup!dity of the situation. I can write about how !diotic and pointless the war in Somalia was and I doubt any sensible person will disagree. I can make fun of people who participated in it and poke fun at their lack of foresight. Laakin, I doubt any1 finds the victims of such circumstances jest-worthy. There is nothing remotely funny about death and destruction. One can describe how the tragedy came about in a comical way, even how the circumstances came to be, but definitely not poke fun at those who were unduly victimized in the process. It’s a thin line.

Should humour be censored? Well, personally, all things insensitive to the suffering, beliefs and misfortune of others – yes. I’m quite indifferent to race jokes laakiin :D . With regards to your Mr.Bean example…yes, its funny to see him fumble and struggle…but he doesn’t loose a limp or end up 6 feet under. That’s why it’s funny. A clear distinction.

NGONGE, you deserve your right to offend. But do tell me where the joke ends and where the being an insensitive jerk/jerkess begin? (Not that I think this thread is insensitive in the slightest). Just to clarity something for the easily bruised among us. :D

p.s. I find this thread funny. Specially the personalized, overly aggressive, melodramatic and subtlely sarcastic posts of some. ;)

Remember I’m a nomad...a nomad who just don’t get it

Dont be modest now Baashi. I happen to think your one of the few smartest here. smile.gif

Baashi   

Ngonge,

The books, political cartoons, and other works of art that address human tragedy in a humorous manner are not written to offend particular nationality, race, ethnicity, or individual. They often poke fun at the war itself, instrument of war, how the war was justified, policies, etc. That way they are intentional by design. Often these works of art convey a bigger issues in a lighter way, they address larger moral questions and if and when one finds the material offensive you don’t find the authors saying he reserves the right to offend people. They continue doing what they do but they do go out of their way to dispel the misunderstanding.

At issue is not whether we are free to express ourselves; at issue is whether we can do so creatively without offending anyone. Also at issue is where the admiration stems! What you seem to be saying first was it is admirable of offending fickle people and now you kind of saying what is admirable is not the act of offending in itself but the actors who feel free to express themselves without worrying about how their work is received in some circles. Very well I for one believe the market will censor when authors and other practitioners come across as arrogant and indifferent. It’s the way things are in this world and the beauty of it all is that folks find a way of creatively or as they say politically-corrected way of making their work humorous for all.

FF, for real...you just made my day...more shaah to seal this rare blessing :D