Sign in to follow this  
umu zakaria

career

Hi,

I want to persue a different career but in the same feild. Confusingly i got 2 options but i cant decide which one to choose.

1. Medicine, always been my dream but for some reasons, pple keep discouraging me alot. it takes too long, you have a family and a kid to take care of and blah blah blah they say. While they may have a point, i strongly believe nothing beats a determined mind.

2. Midwife. I love kids, I like to help and nothing is more exciting to me than seeing a new little person who i will be like its first human contact! love it, so fullfiling

here is my problem, in this country, to be a doctor u need 6 yrs plus some more practical years under supervision before you can practice on your own and be licensed.

Midwivery on the hand is not any easier. You have to train as a nurse for 3 years, 2 years of working experiance and 2 years of midwivery training.

The journey is the same but end results are very different. what do you think?

Originally posted by umu zakaria:

1. Medicine, always been my dream but for some reasons, pple keep discouraging me alot. it takes too long, you have a family and a kid to take care of and blah blah blah they say. While they may have a point, i strongly believe nothing beats a determined mind.

Go for that and forget what ppl are saying ,,, i don't know why ppl discourage the person in this field. A while a go i've seen this guy who was confused coz some ppl were telling him he should change his subject and go for Business Administration instead of Medicine. I told him to be patient and continue with what he wants ,, last time i seen him he was enjoying the medicine and looking forward to graduate in 2 years Insha Allah.

Nothing can beat what you like and i would say to be a DOCTOR is better then a Midwife although the duration would be moreless the same. If you really want to be so then you will be no matter what.

I'm sure it will be difficult in the first time but if you are really patient and continue the struggle then you will one day reach the goal. 10 years are not very far, remember time running very fast these days so take the bus and begin the journey before you loose more time thinking.

NinBrown   

well, midwifery and medicine are both good choices. My advice based on my personal experience and the colleagues I work with.

Medicine is as you described it longer and more challenging to complete but the same time the rewards and the pay are greater.

With midwifery you get to combine an excellent career with good life style, and more suited to women who want a doog work life balance.

Overll go with medicine cos need more somlai doctors.

P.S if you relocate to the U.K, you can study midwifery in 3 yeras as an undergarduate and start work straigh away. Medicine takes as long in both countries.

Aaliyyah   

Umu Zak follow your dream sis. It doesn’t matter what others say, at the end it is your decision and your life.

Medical school takes longer no doubt than midwifery.However, medical school is more rewarding job at the end of the day.

Six years will pass either way right? So it is what you achieved after six years that matters. Go for it, if you are certain that career choice is right for you.

Medicine takes as long in both countries

NinBrown, Medical school is longer in North America compared to Europe. For instance, in Canada one must complete four years undergraduate, medical school, and then followed by residency. So it is a hassle bt worth it. On the other hand, I heard in Europe you can apply professional schools such as medical school straight from high school. Now, one would expect somalis in Europe to achieve much more than us North Americans.

------------------

"The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you"

Kool_Kat   

Yaa Ukhti UMU, the benefits of Medicine faaaar outweight the benefits of Midwifery...I wish I had the gutts to do it...Any science course was the worst for me when I was in school...But trust me if I liked it, that's what I would've gone for...

You don't want to go into something for 3,4,5,6 years and at the end regret it...Why not go for gynecologist rather than midwifery? I am sure the world can use more Muslim sisters in that field...

N'way, good luck in field you choose...

chubacka   

If its what you want an ur husband is happy wid it who else do you need to ask?!

As Alliyah sed, those years will pass anyway so why not make the most of them?

-Lily-   

Nothing worth having in life is easy, and there will always be difficulties so you might as well do it on your own terms. Time flies.

NGONGE   

The way you describe it, it looks like being a midwife will be harder in your situation. I have a feeling that the two years working experience and midwifery training will be done whilst you're still doing your course (or at least that is how it is done in the UK, I think).

For a young mother with child, I would expect the study of medicine to be more convenient in the short term. By the time you're done and are ready to work, your child will be old enough to go to school (if not already there). With midwifery on the other hand, you'll probably have to do some practical work within the first two years! Being a midwife (as with being a doctor) requires flexibility and working alternating night/day shifts. But, my guess is that you'll probably be faced with such work patterns much sooner if you were a midwife than if you were a student of medicine!

All depends on how many aunts, sisters, cousins, third cousins removed and helpful neighbours you have I suppose (not to mention a husband that works flexible hours himself).

That is how i look at it. by the time my son is starting grade 1, i will be in my final residence years IA. That will be wonderful. I also think it is way easier in scandinavia compared to Uk or Americas.

It is beneficial here. u can work while studying medicine. you are also paid to study! how fantastic!. I can also choose to take 1-2 years of my training in EUROPE, AUSTRALIA, CANADA and USA you know incase i want to relocate later. It is not strange am a nomad.

Anyway thanks for contribution. it is reassuring after all the hassle and debates i had with some family members and freinds as if it was their decision to make.

Blessed   

^Follow your dreams sweetheart. When you make it ayey kugu faani doonaan, oo ay dadka dhihi doonaan gabartayadu is a doctor. smile.gif Ilahay ha kuu sahlo. Ameen.

NinoB.

Are you still alive? Because, we wondred. ;)

Good luck with whatever you choose dear.

And people stop knocking midwifery. I plan on being one inshaAllah. You can just imagine the reaction it has on some of the somali people I told -- 'oo teer iyo maanta naag candateeda ba feersani? Agas!'. They say it jokingly but...

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.... :rolleyes:

P.S. Don't look at money and prestige too much...it takes time, dedication and yes money...you might as well do something that you love considering it's something you will be doing for the next 20+ years...you don't want to regret wasting the time and engery on something that is just a 'job'. And midwifery can be just as fullfulling as medicine...it all depends on what your interests, needs and lifestyle desires lay.

woow femme . At last. it is good to see some1 seeing midwivery as a great career.

some of woman joke with me too. some try scaring me by saying < indho beel baa kugu dhici! lool. as if it is not apart of a human body. It is infact the most prestigious and important part.

Anyway we mainly see time as neverending and an obstacle only when you want to accomplish something and when we are wasting it, it just flies by.

^ follow around a doctor and a midwife at work. Ask what's best, what's worst and what's in between. Go with your heart then engage your mind. Win Win. PM Ninbrown for more info. smile.gif