Sign in to follow this  
Salma

Hey Geek Squad Listen to Shehrazade

Salma   

To avoid hijacking the “Shopaholics†topic; I think its better to open a new topic for the “Avid Readers/Bookworms/Bookmaniacsâ€.

So Xoogsade/Shehrazade and others join this topic and enlight us with your knowledge and information. I prefered to put this topic in the Women section coz it’s somehow related to women.

First Part of the topic: Reading

Read what they’d said about reading/books:-

1-The book is a personal journey of a literary writer, insatiable reader, and history enthusiast. (Alberto Manguel, the Argentine-born Canadian). By the way, Alberto’s well-written & wonderfull book (A history of the Reading) is a very informative and usefull book. I do really recommend you nomads to read it.

2- Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill (Barbara Tuchman, American Author)

3- There is no frigate like a book, To take us lands away (Emily Dickinson)-

As I said earlier in the ‘Shopaholics†topic. Reading is not only by holding a book between your hands. There are many other ways to enjoy reading:-

1- You can buy the book in a form of “Audioble Book†which is a book on tape. You can listen to it in your room/kitchen/car/living room anywhere and anytime.

2- Or if you are an “Internet Lover†and have the ability to stay long times surfing the Net. Then, there is another way for reading. Open one of those hunderds websites which are providing the books as a e-Book (Electronic Book) and its not necessary to read the whole book in one day. Just read it slowly till you finish the book

3-Or you can listen to it as “Story†from a nother avid reader. Like the story telling Groups or from your friend/relative. Remember when we used to be children, I believe the second wonderful thing after playing was listening to the stories/fairy tales from mothers’/brothers’/sisters’ mouths, whether Western stories like: Cinderella, Snow White and the Red Rose, The Frog and the Princess, Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs, The princess and the Pea, The Lion and the Mouse, Robin Hood,,,,, Or Eastern like: Alaadin, Sindbad, Ali Baba and the 40 Theives, 1001 Nights (The Arabian Nights) or the Somali Sheeko Xariir : Dhag Dheer- Araweelo- Ceegal Shidaad- The Dawaco’s Stories- The Animals stores….etc

When I was child I was so fond of the pictured books specially the Encyclopedias. Of course I was not that good in reading, but I loved watching the pictures of the people,animals,plants, things.. and I used to pray deeply and ask god to learn Reading like the adults. Coz, was fid up with hearing only. Then in Grade 4 , we started to have a weekly class to the Library. The first book I read and loved was “Prisoner of Zenda†by Antony Hope. Before finishing it; the damned bell started ringing and the teacher asked us to return the books to their places. I returned to the home feeling sad and dissapointed and so angry at my teacher who gave me the chance of reading that wonderful book but wasn’t generous to let me complete reading it. Then my elder brother told me that its easy to get the book from the near bookshop and nothing deserve all the sadness I was going through. But he told me the most precious info in my whole life “You can borrow books from the libraryâ€.

Anyway, it was great to read that story. I bought another “Prisoner of Zenda†and Iam keeping it with my collection. Althout I read different books but nothing will make me forget my First Love "Prisoner of Zenda" LOOL.

When I’d reached to grade 7, I’d started to read for “Adham Sabri’s Storiesâ€, actually it’s arabic stories for the teenagers about an Egyptian Secret Agent who works with the Mossad (The Israeli Secret Police). I was impressed by his abilities (A-1 Agent) who knows all the Martial Arts, 7 languages bla bla bla. Then in grade 10 I started to read the Romantic stories. I must admit I learnd many Arabic words from them. In high school age, I was so attached to the Historic stories by Jerji Zidan (A lebanese Syrian Author, Former-christian) but unfortunately, later I knew that he was a member in the Free Masons groups and his stories were not authenticated. And he was adding wrong and bad information to spoil the image of the Islamic History. Now Iam reading different books written by different writers. But what I’am really missing is the Somali books. I have only four books: A Somali-English Dictionary, A book written by Axmad Barkhad Maax called “What’s happening in Somaliaâ€, a story called “Wind of Change" and the Somali Model Waris Dirii’s Biography “Desert Flowerâ€.

Iam participating in two Arabic Book Discussion groups and Iam the Captain/Facilitator in one of them. I’d called it “Shehrazade Book Groupâ€. Actually, Shehrazade as you may know is the name of the main character in the famous Persian book “One Thousand and One Nights-1001 Nights†in Arabic it’s called “Alfe Lailah we Lailahâ€. She was the wife of the King Shehreyar who was deceived by his beloved wife. And as a punishment for this unfaithful wife and all the women he killed her and decided to marry a virgin girl every night and get rid of her in the morning. Then, when the numbers of the girls started to decrease; King Shehrayar asked his best friend and minister to give him his daughter “Shehrezade†to marry her. The sad father wen to his daughter and told her about the king’s decision which will end her life in the morning. But the smart Shehrezade accepted the proposal and decided to end the King’s insane and un-just marriages. So from the first night she started to tell him tales from different countries,creatures & events. Althought The King was enjoying listening to the first story, he kept his decision as it was “To kill her in the morningâ€. But smart Shehrezade kept the stories going on till the 1001 nights were over and he found himself in deep love with her smile.gif

Dear Nomads: Reading will take you to places you’ve never been and to faces you’ve never seen.

The Second part : Shehrazde’s Intellegence

Shahrazade was an intelligent lady, someone who scarificed her life inorder to save her sisters from the cruel decision of the King Shehreyar. Although Shehrazade was a beautiful lady and the King admitted that to her. She didn’t use her beauty as a defence weapon but she depended on her mind and soul. She was so tactful and gentle. she captured his soul and heart with her words and stories. Anybody can say stories and tales, but the important thing is how/the way to SAY THEM. How to influence others in a way they like the words which are coming out from your mouth.

The Bottomline :-

The woman shouldn’t put in her mind that beauty & attraction are only in her body (Hair,eyes,mouth..etc), the the way she walks, the way she wears and do make-up. This is all not important, the woman should search the beauty in her attitude,personality,mind,soul and morals. Just like Shehrazde who depended on her mind to capture the king’s heart and stop him doing evil againt the innocent women.

As we see now in the Mass Media & the Market, women are NOT dealt with respect and apprecitiatin. They are not considered as a precious and important human being. Unfortunately they are shown as a commodity/pleasure: you can buy them and then get rid of them.

Islam taught us that : Women are the men's mothers, sisters, daughters, wives & colleagues. The woman is the half of the society, if this half is lost, then half of the society will be gone. So even if the society/environment around you is not encourging at all. Its only you girls who will decide whether to be missed/lost or to protect yourselves and the rest of your sex. Like Shehrazde did, she saved herself and the rest of the girls in the kingdom. Its in your hand to change the evil around you in your socities simply by not accepting it, to be against it and then change it. And guess what Shehrazade didn’t disobeyed her fahter or re-act badly. She didn’t commit a murder by killing the KING. All what she dead was a “Peacful & Intelligent Tactic"

So LADIES, don't be Active and Attractive ONLY but also educated, enlightened, knowledgeable and alerted. Protect yourselves and win your battles in a decent way :D

Thanks and hope you enjoyed your reading.

P.S. To Shehrazde (The Nomad in SOL) believe it or not, when I first wanted to join SOL. I registered myself as “Shehrazade†but it seems you were faster than me sis. Congrats and good for you smile.gif I will be more than Happy to be the Librarian in the Geek Squad. LOL

Salam

Classique: Perhaps you can initiate a book review session or a discussion group here on SOL. Someone can recommend a intriguing and worthwhile book (arabic or english) and the Nomads, after reading it, can discuss it. It is, needless to say, prudent to make a deadline as to when the discussion of the said book commences. A reading group on SOL, how refreshing. smile.gif

I recommend Omar the Great by Sheikh omar yaasin.

This is by far the best book i've read in a long time.It is the biography of Umar ibn Khataab the second Khalif of the Ummah.It gives you an insight into the thinking of the Muslim people and how they advanced mankind in their introduction of all the democratic values that seems to be shoved down our throats by the west this days.

For instance the first welfare system was introduced then.The first time a leader was actually elected by the people was Abubakar SaDIQ.The first time Courts were made independednt of the government was then.The first time a government was taken to court by a civilian and the government lost with the amir appearing at the court to be questioned was then.The first Animal rights law was passed then.The first time the majority ruled was then.The first time minority rights was enshrined into law was then.Yes this is a must read book.

OG_Girl   

P.S. To Shehrazde (The Nomad in SOL) believe it or not, when I first wanted to join SOL. I registered myself as “Shehrazade†but it seems you were faster than me sis. Congrats and good for you LOL.

Classique, you told me even before I know our Nomad "Sharazade" , I told you to change your nick now and you told me there is some one else have the name :D

Salam

Blessed   

Salaams

Delightful read, Thank you smile.gif

Reading will take you to places you’ve never seen and faces you’ve never seen.

So true, especially when you don't want to be where you are. smile.gif

I'de like to be a fly on the wall for your group if you don't mind. Not much of a teller me.

Hey Geek Squad Listen to Shehrazade

Yes, Geek Squad, listen to me..you're getting sleepy, your eyes are closing, you're at my command, you will cater to my every whim, what's yours is mine, you will be at my beck and call day and night, neither sleep nor fatigue will stand in the way of your serving me, you're mine I tell you, mine...buhahahaha..

and that was a party meglomaniac broadcast by the self-appointed Treasurer of the SOL Geek Squad.

Classique, you really are a book lover. I've never been part of a book discussion group; I have a small dislike of analysing books. That together with my bad memory means I'm only usually left with how a book made me feel or what thoughts it brought about. The contents of the book itself don't remain with me for long. This means I can read a book years later and be delighted all over again.

My girlhood was a marvellous book-reading escapade. If my head wasn't buried in a book it was in the clouds. My little black book was filled with lists and reviews of books I'd read. What dedication and love! I loved books so much, I'd smell them and my mother would catch me at it: do you how many people would have touched that book! Yes, yes, that's just it. How long had that book lived at that library, collecting dust and love, yellowing and waiting for me?

I hated turning over the corners of books as markers. It always made me whince when I saw that triangular flap. Why couldn't the lazy reader memorise the page number or use a bookmark? Another readers' habit that used to drive me insane was jumping to the last few pages of a book. I'd see a reader at the library skimming the last page of a book only just removed from the shelf and wonder what kind of person you would have to be to do that! The end determining whether or not the book is worth the read? What lunacy. Doesn't that rob one of most of the pleasure of a story?

Sorry I beat you to the name, Classique.

So we have the Treasurer and the Librarian. Who else wants to join? There is an initiation, mind! ;)

I'm going to love this.....

Salma   

Thanx dear Nomads.

They say "Smile" is contagious. I hope my Love for books is contagious too :D

Perhaps by showing a lil of my love, other's may love books too.

Mutakallim: Good Idea, thanx. With the help of all the nomads it will work for sure, inshallah.

ORGILAQE: Saydena Omar Bin Khattab (May Allah be Pleased with Him) has a special place in my heart and mind ever since I was a child. Thanx for ur recommendation.

Alle-ubaahne: True Indeed smile.gif

Bee & Ameena: Thanx sisters, And Ameena I believe if u joined the Geek Squad you will be more than a Fly on the wall.

Xoogsade & Shehrazade: Appreciate your comments.

Salam

Diamante   

nice topic Classique

i love reading books, i could stay in the library for hours on end...sometimes to annoyance of the librarians, like way past the closing time.

One book i love reading over and over again is "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou . She happens to be one of my favorite novelists.

Anyway, i think it would be cool to have a book group in SOL...soooo what's the first book u suggest Clas?

Originally posted by Mutakallim:

Classique: Perhaps you can initiate a book review session or a discussion group here on SOL. Someone can recommend a intriguing and worthwhile book (arabic or english) and the Nomads, after reading it, can discuss it. It is, needless to say, prudent to make a deadline as to when the discussion of the said book commences. A reading group on SOL, how refreshing.
smile.gif

I do agree with PK...because since this topic was initiated nothing has happened except the occasional "ooh wha a good idea"... I say lets move on to the second phase and start a reading group.

Salaamaat

Salma   

1- Admin: do we have to get an approval on this or something ? :D

2- Nomads... Do you agree to call the Group "Shehrazade" or "SOL Reading Group", Agree/Disagree, any other suggestions? Kindly Say

3- Shall we start with something for Paulo Coelho or you may give your suggestions and we can discuss them?

Waiting 4 ur comments/suggestions.

Salam

^^

1- Admin: do we have to get an approval on this or something

Why should the admin's care? :confused:

How about "SOL Book Club" or "Shaherazade Book Club" smile.gif I havent read a book in a long time...so I dont think Ill be contributing here. But I would love to hear the reveiws, suggestions, and recommends of Nomads.

Blessed   

1. Admin doesn't mind. This is his type of thing.

2. The Sheherazade Book Society ????

3. Why not list books and select the best?

<---seconds Diamente's choice:

"I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou

It's a book most nomads will relate to - trust me. smile.gif