Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Ngonge I remember the 286's kkkkkkkkkkk

The first one i ever used was the 186 sx IBM kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.Boy was it slow and do you remember those horrible Dot matrix Printers?.You could hear them chirping away a mile off kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

1991 waxaan joogey Bangkok. It was right after this.

I was introduced to the Internet somewhere in 1999. My cousin was always talking about the ‘information superhighway’ and he would show me sites and specially Somali sites that I had a keen interest in. Being the only Somali family in the town my parents were stationed then, made me fantasise about Somalis and how wonderful they are (reality hit me a few years ago and I feel otherwise icon_razz.gif .. joking!) . I begged my dad to get us an Internet connection somewhere in late 99 and I instantly become a fanatic surfer and was reading away in every teen site, chatting with teens in isolated little american towns and making e-mail friends (I remember meeting this girl, who still sent me e-mails years later telling me what she was upto). Back then, it was dial-up and the internet was charged per-min, and one had to be very judicious with the time spent online. Infact, my dad set a time limit of 15hrs a month for all of us (Him, my sister and I) and I was bound to cross it every month and get screamed at. I used to buy magazines that would direct me to good and informative sites. Later I discovered mIRC thru the same cousin and was chatting away with Somalis. I never imagined that it was possible to make friends or meet people from the Internet, so I was mainly there for mischief and to taunt the same cousin! (who I flirted with endlessly one nite and never let him live it down since! :D ).

mIRC opened my eyes to the world of Somalis and the internet…. smile.gif .

Gediid,

If I remember correctly when I first started using it there was only a handful of people but within a year hundreds were logging into #Somalia which was owned by a guy with the nick of Haxpert.

You'd be surprised to know The Kahuna is a member of this very site. :D

Castro   

Originally posted by 7 0f Nine:

[QB]mIRC opened my eyes to the world of Somalis and the internet….
smile.gif

I will speak not of mIRC unless and until all statutes of limitations have expired on certain misdemeanors and at least one high crime. :D

PPS

I realise this makes me sound older than a comodore 64 but I assure all worried parties that I’m considerably younger than comrade Castro. [Cool]

So Castro is the fossil around here? Isn't that nice? For you, Ngonge, I am Pharoah.

Tuujiye   

Waraa Maskiin Ciyaal Hodan in aa aheed maxaa mar hore iigu sheegi weysay maraxaa tahay dhawee!!!

Waraa 1991 galab axad ah oo qado aan u fadhiyo uu dagaalka bilowday..lol..

I went from Hodan to madina, then afgooyo to mareeree, then to jilib iyo jamaame then to kismaayo..stayed till siyad bare came and brought some bullets with him..then left kismaayo to qooqaani and stayed at libooye somalia for like 4 days..then waxaan ku dhexdhuumanay the border to libooye kenya..stayed their for a while then to Utango.lol. and the neeroobi kabacdina Canada.....The best time of my life was them years..believe it or not..I gained so much experience in a young age that it still helps me today and it will help me for my intire life iinsha allah...

I know I'm not alone on that!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

I started using the internet back in 97, and i didn’t know much about it, nor do i know much about it today. I bought my first computer in 2002 believe it or not – so call me a newbie.

Tuujiyee I went through the same route as you, came from Xamar to Kismayo, left Kismayo when it got invaded, i was at Utango for couple of months or a year too – I would agree with you that it was the best experience I ever had, you learn some grimey life skills techniques over there --- remember when the camp used catch fire and everyone would run towards Mombassa --- remember the urban legend at the camp, I don’t know if it was true, that there was a lady with a bread

Johnny B   

mIRC or as the protocol is really KNOWN (IRC ---> internet relay chat) oppened our eyes :D , even paltalk is based on that protocol icon_razz.gif

the'm' in the mIRC comes from Mardem´s client.

Through IRC netwroks undernet,Dalnet,ircnet.Fnet etc etc ,FNET beeing the popular by then till Dalnet introduced the chanserv / nickserv service has changed my online life for good.

I remember that guy HAXPERT.

It must be an honor having him as a member in SOL :D

I´d the oportunity to talk to him on the phone once , and he told me that 7 of 9 was the youngest of the ONLY two Somali girls on the net . .

as Jumatatu was the youngest among the guyz :D

The funniest thing he remembers was the day he´d to ban every domain name with *.q8.com

for accessive flooding , as that meant banning WARFAA who happens to be OG_GIRL´s grand pa :D

My heart goes for all you who´d went through the hell of the civil war, i´d the previlege of flying with mom , dad an rest of family from Mogadishu Airport as a kid well before it went off.

To be Frank , it really is an honor to meet you mIRC gurus here.

P/S .. i was in college when i registered that channel "Somalia with chanserv on Dalnet, so the time one starts using the NET and the actual age of that person are not proportionl to tell the real age of that person.

If that was the case .. 7 of 9 had be older than me :D

I

Nephissa   
1991 I was spotted covered with sweat, and oblivious to my surroundings, near the Canadian border @ Lacolle, Quebec. Carrying belongings on my head.

Well I am impressed. We do seem to have real cyber pioneers in here. I was a late bloomer. I discovered the internet in 97/98 during my last year of college, but I only used it for study purposes till I was in my second year of Uni when I discovered Somalinet Forum...(I needed to vent about the American invasion of Afghanistan), but before I had the opportunity to post anything, I got invited to the recently set-up Somaliaonline and I have never looked back.

Where was I in 91? Dunno...prolly Nairobi. 88-92 are a big blur for me. Must have blocked it all out.

Oh God 1991 I was in cairo eating Fuul Mudamis!!, Started with the Internet umh lemme see something like 1997/98..

JB!!! waryaa you are Haxpert a.k.a. Error holla @ Thug'Luv, KaY0s, I remmber mIRC a whole lotta Banning used to happen up there and major drama's in channel #Somalia & #Somaliya!!

Castro   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

1991? I wonder what sort of PC he used in 91! Back then, one would imagine, a
was state of the art.

In 1991 I had a 486 DX 33 MHz with a math coprocessor and a whopping 4MB of RAM and 80MB of hard drive running Windows 3.1. That was the state of the art at the time. Fourteen years later, I have an Apple Powerbook G4 with 1.67 GHz clock speed and 1GB of RAM, running MAC OS X (Panther). I use my Dell laptop and SWBell phonebooks as a stand for my Mac. You know what they say, once you go Mac, there's no turning back ;)

Ariadne   

ah 1991...sigh- the weirdness of the 80s was replaced by a feeling in nroth america of isoalation of fear and of course of angst... this is when grunge was born.... it was the year.. a lot of somalis beamce refugees... the gulf war was on full scale in the states and Canada was in a recession.... and most improtantly to me it was the year my sister was born.......

the early years of fluroescent coloured clothes and parachte pants... and oddly enough everyone loved MC hammer.... I think itwas also around this time... when the old USSR crahsed and burned... and symbolified the fall of "communism' in europe and the end of the cold war....

busy and a confusing year... there was a colourful swirl of events spinning in front of our faces and we were afraid to look away in case we might miss something... but at the same time... it was giving us blurred visons of confusion

Johnny B ,

7 of 9 was the youngest of the ONLY two Somali girls on the net . .

LoooL. U bet I was. No1 used to chat with me when I told them my age. Some older and wiser guys would say to me, 'Little girl, isnt it past ur bedtime?' whenever I started trouble. Good times. I have the fondest memories of mIRC before the invasion of every Somali guy in India and Pakistan. Then it was downhill from there... :D:D

][C]on[]s[piracy][ ,

holla @ Thug'Luv, KaY0s, I remmber mIRC

Thug'luv, Haxpert and Wiilka are the only nicks I remember from there.. and funnily enough..years later..all of us are on this site. How friggin small was the world of 'Cyber Somalis' eh? :D

@Kewl Mr Barre.I have met a few somalis who worked for IBM since the late 80s.

In 1991 Where was i?, I think i was in Baadiye or some tuulo. Cant quite remember very well.

Internet iska dhaaf,i was amused to see a VCR,TV & or Radio. I Have not even Heard of INTERNET let alone the computer. I heard of internet in or around 1995,perhaps even later. To be Quite Honest, it wasnt until 1997 that i got to use a COMPUTER! :D

mIrc;Man that place was total chaos.

I have never SEEN such a high concetration of european somalis writing in big and complicated somali in one place.The place was infested with older male somalis;or so it seemed. Come to think of it,Most online 'Idle forumers' are mainly european somalis.

Actually thats when i first discovered internet, Thru This Guy named Nuur,he showed me and guided me thru the entire place(somalinet,mirc,paltalk you name it).

He was meeting girls left right and center,the cute ones.Man was he cool!.He even set up my Email account(i still have it).

He was older than me..and i figured hey let me get into this thing. Thats when i met Heblayo,actually thru him.She told me she was 25, According to Nuur,I had to be at least 27 or so for me to be 'a credible man(whatever that meant). So off we went to a certain famous Mall somewhere. My freind's "date" was hot & Young.They all were hot. Each and every girl this dude met online,was hot and i have seen over 12 of em.

Laakin as for me,The story was different.Lets just say she was not 25!. To Say she was a Liar,is an understatement!

*The single Most horifying 'date' in my life;Details Later,stay tuned*

Baashi   

^this dude is obsessed with age :D

'91 where was I? Hmmm! let me see I was fleeing with family members from Mogadishu to Kismayo and around May I made to Nairobi where I joined the Jokore crowd in search of way out. After what seemed to be eternity in hell I made to San Jose, CA.

As to the internet, never got access to it until early '95 (through school terminals). Never chatted or joined the discussion groups. Believe it or not SOL is the first site I spent considerable time unrelated to work or schooling.

There u have it MMA. I'm a novice redface.gif

In the Gulf wondering just how far a scud could travel. Hoping one would meander up Bush senior's red-neck ar*e.

The Internet..I think we met in 94/95. I'm still in love.