Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Male-free Zone.

Faheema.   

Surprisingly, our body absorbs UV rays and will cause skin problems just like white people (maybe less visible and severe). Also too much exposure to uv rays makes your skin look old even before your time smile.gif

Cara.   

Lily, if the intent is to sun-bathe (for tanning or to put highlights in your hair), then you don't need to put sunscreen, and it would actually be counter-productive as far as tanning goes. Just make sure not to get a skin-burn. Aside from that, exposure to moderate sunlight is good for you mentally and physically. The skin cancer outbreaks of the last couple of decades has given sunlight an unnecessarily bad rap. Although Cawo is right about skin aging, I'd rather be wrinkly with healthy bones and teeth than baby-faced but bed-ridden :D

-Lily-   

Cara, the point is to get a good dose of vitD to see me through the year, taking into account I live in a country that is grey/cool/wet for 10 months of the year. I don’t think a week or two will give me life-long wrinkles.

Cawo, thanks, maybe I’ll put some lightly on my face :D

Beautiful day out!

Cara.   

In that case, my understanding is that about 15-30 minutes per day, exposing the arms and face to direct sunlight (preferably between 10 am and 4 pm, when UVB rays best penetrate the atmosphere) will have you all set for the winter. Of course, these are recommendations for the melanin-impaired, might be insufficient for the rest of us.

Hi Lily, I'm keeping a journal of sorts but I haven't typed anything up yet. So far fast internet has been difficult to come across and once I do, I spend the time emailing family, charging my iPod and uploading photos.

Faheema.   

^Hello & Welcome back.

I came across an internal email address today that made me laugh it was Aakhiro.something last name is spelled the Somali way also lol

I thought it was a joke, but it actually exists :D

^^^ LooL those things happen in every community (Somalis, Other black communities) and it is also possible for the male species as well like a dude will say "she is going to be my wife she just doesn't know it yet" :D

Cheers