Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Unique Somali names

Blessed   

Asia / Asiya was the name of the wive of Fircawn. One of the most righteous Muslim women of all time.

Coiming back to Liban, I got mixed revies so I guess MMA nailed it.

Originally posted by Cadaan:

quote:Originally posted by Buuxo:

Filtar

Are you serious? Filter?
:D
I do think the sister meant Filsan, a bit typo, I assume. Buuxo, intee ka keentay 'Filtar'? Ebidkeey ma maqlin qof la dhaho Filtar.

Taloow qofka Soomaaliyeed magaca Buuxo la dhaho intuu buuxsamin maa Filtar la dhahaa? :D

Seriously, though, grammatically it is correct, oo 'fil' iyo tar' la isku daray, sida Samatar [which means doer of good deeds] or Cantar, so Filtar can be a male name as much as grammatical terminology of naming places/people/etc is concerned; so Filtar would possibly mean "doer of the expected [positive actions]." The Filsan's male counterpart name.

Buuxo   

^No typo ,i actually met a lady with that name- Filtar. Cadaan my reaction was exactly like yours i repeated 'filter' you mean 'shaqshaq' and of course not infront of her but my mum said yeah its filtar,don't know what it means though.

haye , MMA you can't believe anyone would be named Buuxo or Filtar.they both nice names,me thinks.You know Buuxo waay iska buuxda ,complete camal.Filtarna eee Filkeed eey wax tartaa ;)

Oh i thought of another somali name, Kowdiid :confused: - bal kaas ka warama..waa actual magac.

Buuxo maxaa ka buuxa horta ?? looooooooooool

I knew this girl in Muqdisho called Isniino ..... i wanted to call my doughter Khamiiso ,, :D

Speaking of names...

I've always wondered for those somalis with two names ex. Amina Zahra, Halimo Sacdia, or Ahmed Dahir...what becomes their middle name?

Let's say Amina Zahra Mohammed Ali

Does Zahra become the middle name or Mohammed (the dad) on legal papers?

And I don't think I've ever heard of Somali kids having two names beyond the three I've listed above --- have you? I know two names is pretty popular in western cutlure.

Som@li   

^Warsan waa magac gabdheed oo jira,Saxb, and nothing to do with Qabiil name, Markaa Qabiil maxaa meesha Keenay? :D