Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Unique Somali names

Baluug   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

quote:Originally posted by Cadaan:

LOL MMA you nit-picker, the thing is, yes those names are derived from names or words from other languages, but as far as I know, only Somali people use these names. For example, the name "Cabdi" comes from "Abdul", just that Somali people have taken it as their own. I don't know anyone that has the name "million" in english, and I've heard of a few Arabs who have the name "Shukria" and "Naima" obviously it's a common name, but I've never heard of Arabs using "Shukri" or "Nimco".

Yes, they are Soomaalinized. That was my point. Aadan Seylac, the thread initiator, did, however, only asked "unique Soomaali names," which I assume he meant only authentic Soomaali names that has Soomaali roots as well. Those you listed and others, though Soomaalinized, do not happen to be Soomaali in origin.

By the way, the name you chose, Liibaan, is a beautiful Soomaali name with a deep meaning. What is ironic is that you, as a non-Soomaali revert, chose an original Soomaali name, and those who claim to be Soomaalis hold their thumbs at the beautiful Soomaali names, naming their children in the process some so obscure Carab names that even Carabs do not name their children.

The world is upside down, my friend.
:D

P.S. -- Did you give your children Soomaali names as well? Or the Mrs. chose a typical, unpronounceable Carabi names as it is the fad in these days?
LOL yeah, my kids have the most generic, common Arab names ever, Layla and Amina. But I chose them. My ex said a long time ago that if we had another girl, she wanted to name her Nasteexo, and I said absolutely not, kids at school will be calling her "nasty ho" :D

I saw this other girl her mother named her RIDA (as pleasant in Arabic) but when returned home ppl call her RIDA (as the goat) ,,, :D

She had to change the name anyway .........

Blessed   

Originally posted by Cadaan:

quote:Originally posted by *Blessed:

Liibaan - Blessed

Why, yes I am, thank you for pointing that out.

Actually, I thought Liibaan meant "bless
ing
" like "barakah". Isn't it?
You're welcome. :D

That was a lose interpretation. Libaan is actually an invocation for blessings and can be used as such. For example, you can even say 'Libaan, walaal' to someone as a form of thank you / dua.

Cabdow   

I saw this other girl her mother named her RIDA (as pleasant in Arabic) but when returned home ppl call her RIDA (as the goat)

^ :D

What about them girls called 'sh**n' I wonder how they react to it, or is that just normal name up-north?

Faheema.   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

L0L@
Qabooja
. Naa bal maxay qaboojini oo baas?

LoL bal kan waydii :D

MMA nickNames such as.... Naageeye, Macaane and Qanciye are 'authentic'? Who validated them I wonder. smile.gif

Malika   

Horiiyo

Fakhiir

Yuruub

Ruun

[These ladies are from the same family,they were the most beautiful somali women I have ever seen..Mashaallah]

Libaan does not mean blessed it means "win" or a winner. when the Somalis say "Liibaan"...as in be a winner (guuleyso)also in some areas of Somalia they say "Libinta" as in "Guusha or you hear them say "Libta Hel" . I am not sure but I think It is originated from an arabic word of "Lib" as in winning. i think the arabic literiture experts in here can confirm it for us.

Cheers

Hunguri   

Qawdhan (a tall man)

Qablan ( almost the same, but more taller)

Jaanbad ( Kani waa coon, a very short man)

Jucuf ( more worsening, waa very short)

Jicir ( a fair colour man, Somalida cas cas)

Hiinbool ( Xoogan,gaaban, strong short man)

Huuniye ( Dont know the meaning, but I tell you this is one of Unique Maakhirian names smile.gif

Qamaan ( We will ask Nepathy :D )

Shuuriye ( Xam Xam, 24/7 muffling in silence)

Foore ( Mmmm a type of windy,humid in Berbera,Laasoray and the Red sea )

Goodir (A handsome man )

Bile ( Hangariisi kan kuma sheegi karo)

Gurduf ( Mmmmm more tougher smile.gif )

Badmaax ( Sea man smile.gif , Northner type lol )

Xawar ( very light,fair colour man )

In conclusion, there is a friend of mine, whose name is as below.

Faarax Wiish Ararsame Ashkir Cageeye :D:D

Akas Kiyuusmii, I am not good at women names. No hard feelings ( ladies ) I only know!

Qaafo

!!!!!!

Blessed   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

Libaan does not mean blessed it means "win" or a winner. when the Somalis say "Liibaan"...as in be a winner (guuleyso)also in some areas of Somalia they say
"Libinta"
as in
"Guusha
or you hear them say
"Libta Hel"
. I am not sure but I think It is originated from an arabic word of "Lib" as in winning. i think the arabic literiture experts in here can confirm it for us.

Cheers

Hmmm, I think I'll research that but I'm sure the word Libinta has something to do with milk. :D