Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Somali man, '112', weds girl, 17

Originally posted by Khayr:

quote:Originally posted by Femme:

Wow.

That's all I can say.

Wow.

I'm 25 and the idea of marrying a 40 year old man is horrifying to me.

Wow.

and you edging to 'senior citizen' status when you hit 30. Yet another xalimoo aging in the qurbo.

I'm OK with my 'senior' status. Don't get all worked up over it for my sake ;)

N.O.R.F   

Mr Dore told the BBC he was born in Dhusamareeb in central Somalia in 1897 - and has a traditional birth certificate, written on goat skin by his father.

Our correspondent says he has an interesting history - in 1941 he joined the British colonial forces as a soldier for 10 years and then served as a police officer after Somalia won independence in 1960.

Altogether, Mr Dore has 114 children and grandchildren. His oldest son is 80 years old and three of his wives have died.

He says he hopes his new bride will give him more children.

"
It is a blessing to have someone you love to take care of you,"
he said.

All together now,,,aaaaawwwwwww :D

Aaliyyah   

Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as having said: "A woman without a husband (or divorced or a widow) must not be married until she is consulted, and a virgin must not be married until her permission is sought. They asked the Prophet of Allah (may peace be upon him): How her (virgin's) consent can be solicited? He (the Holy Prophet) said: That she keeps silence. (Translation of Sahih Muslim, The Book of Marriage (Kitab Al-Nikah), Book 008, Number 3303)"

There is no way that a 17 yrs old young girl can be happy about marrying 112 years old man? no way? maskaxda ma galaso ilaahay ka baqa..ilaahay somali ha cafiyo...am sure one of these days ilaahay will send his anger on them for ruining the lives of young girls. I have a sister the same age, and I know hell will have to freeze over before I will give consent to such thing.

inan kasta walaasha, edada, habaryarta iyo gabadhaasa kasoo qaad....walasha 112 years old ma uu qudhaaan? uma malaynayo???

May Allah swt guide somalis....ameeen!

salaam

NGONGE   

^^ I've seen a fifteen year old who told me she was happy to marry a fifty year old. She didn't in the end, but she wanted to. :D

(no silly quips at the back).

ElPunto   

^I dislike it when folks try to tell other folks what they should or shouldn't do. This girl has a voice - she's not mentally infirm according to reports - thus she could have refused this marriage. Don't infanitilize this girl and her choice.

Hasn't this ridiculous story been played out now?

Aaliyyah   

Originally posted by Femme:

Wow.

That's all I can say.

Wow.

I'm 25 and the idea of marrying a 40 year old man is horrifying to me.

Wow.

lol femme tell me about it. sadly some people in here want to pretend this girl chose to, they simply do not understand how things roll back home. Girls dont have a choice....i guess thats hard to comprehend since we live in a side of the world where we do as we please..

salaam

ElPunto   

^Girls back home are not inanimate robots controlled by men. Stop this nonsense. We CAN'T definitively know whether she chose this or not. So how can one say she was forced? There is just no basis.

Aaliyyah   

he is not 30 or 40 at least then I would have gave her the benefit of the doubt. But, in this case the man is 112 years old :eek:

You don't need anymore hints to come to the conclusion that this marriage is against her will.

and no am not saying every single family in somalia mistreats their daughters n forces them to marriage. But, some do and its is not unheard of.

I rest my case!!

ElPunto   

I think you need to realize that others may make choices that may seem outlandish, ridiculous, disgusting and unfair. And you can say those things. But you really can't say in this case she was forced - there is no basis to make that argument. That is the sole point I'm arguing about.

Cara.   

^There's every kind of basis actually, and it's far more reasonable to assume she was forced than that she made the choice of her own free will.

1)She is really young

but even if she wasn't

2) He is really old

but even if he wasn't

3) The age difference is 90+ years! He has great-grandchildren older than her.

But what clinches it is social context. Knowing that girls back home are routinely forced into marriage, especially to married older men, and especially at that age, do you really find it more plausible that a 17 year old made this choice?

^Evidence must be more than the two doted lines you are trying to connect dear, it has been like this... or as it were before, and that one is this much and that the other is thee and the range is so and so, masoconayso

We're all so very lucky.

He married her so he doesn't have to pay for a nurse. And what fine benefits does he get too.

***Edit***