Sign in to follow this  
Fiqikhayre

A bridge that will link up two continents!

A new proposal is underway to link up the two continents of Africa and Asia together with a bridge!

The Yemeni government is in discussion with a firm from the United Arab Emirates called Middle East Development company! The project will cost around 1.000.000.000,00 US-currency and will start from the Bab Al-Mandib all the way to Djibouti inshallah! The bridge will be 14 km's long inshallah!

It is hoped that this project will increase the trade between the two continents in future inshallah and the project is persued by the Yemeni government vigorously and it is also welcomed on the other hand by the state of Djibouti!

yemen.gif

-Lily-   

Ridicules, trade has always been ok between the 2 places. Why not use the money to further development inside Yemen?

Development is good sister! Yemen has to put somewhere its money from oil revenues and the project should be welcomed! It would bring more prestige, tourism and trade to the area!

Yemenis in general are unruly bunch of people just like the Somalis are, they happy with their current situation and lack of development as it is! Yemenis don't want to change and they happy with their homegrown qat!

They're the poorest country in the Arabian peninsula because of that reason! Projects in the infrastructe like this will bring a new pride into the region and much needed capital!

I say bring a under water tunnel as well just like the Euro tunnel! Do you think the Euro tunnel was a bad idea? I don't think so.

Euro tunnel is great so will be this bridge inshallah! Anything that makes it easy for people to break down anykind of barriers is great and welcomed by me!

If other countries and regions can do it, why not us then? It's time that the region wakes up and developes inshallah!

Horn of Africa together with Yemen is heading for the right direction!

Also know that with the new political organisation such as the Sana'a forum in which Sudan, Ethiopia, Yemen and Somalia are members of will further increase the progress, development and regional co-operation in this region inshallah!

Can't you see where we're heading towards? Sudan, Ethiopia, Yemen and Somalia are from now on working close together and cooperating with each other like the predecessor of the EU was! Soon everything will be coming together inshallah like the rest of the world but it will take time, maybe another twenty to fourt years but not now, however this is the beginning inshallah!

Horn of Africa nations and the new Sana'a Forum will help the region to co-operate as much as they can in order to achieve political, economical and social development and progress inshallah and that is the way to go!

It's likley to happpen cos UAE already have an investment interests in both yemen and Djabouti ports. the Dubai Ports Company rented out Aden port of yemen and Djabouti port. possible they extend that projects further.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Begs the question who will pay for it?

Is that 1 billion? or just 1 dollar?

:D

14 km though? That would be quite a feat. Just think, two of the poorest countries in the world building such an amazing bridge (and almost most of it in deep waters).

Now that’s what I call a $1 story.

The Yemeni government is paying for the project as it is pursued by them!

Yes quite rightly that is one billion, that's the US way of representing one billion and also in the UK (by law) and many other English speaking countries!

However my natural inclination as a European would to spell a billion in the format of a one followed by twelve zeros.

Like this:

^A billion in European terms! A one followed by 12 zeros.***

But as we speak English and use the English way of representing a 'billion', a billion would have to be represented as I've done above in my first post i.e.:

$1.000.000.000,00

^A billion in the English speaking world including the UK. A one followed by 9 zero's.

p.s. ***the last two zeros should not be counted as they don't count (in case some dumb and uneducated fool tries to give it another meaning by saying that the 'English billion' has 11 zeros and the 'European billion' 14)!

I see it is to complicated for some in here so I won't try to bore it with you any longer. However my explanation should help to those uneducated folks out there that are a little bit confused and do not know how to really interpret/represent numbers!

^How so, tell me?

Adeer I'm real and knowledgable as well in the things I say, they're not just something uttered randomly, understand?

^That's a 'billion' in the US, UK and many English speaking countries or that have English as their second language.

Where as the below:

means 'One billion' as well in many other countries e.g. majority of Europe!

Now argue with that if you can? But I doubt it that you will, as you don't have any knowledge into such matters.

^That's outdated Cambarro, the new way of representing a billion in the UK and by law is 1,000,000,000.00 or if I use the american way of representing figures 1.000.000.000,00 which means a billion only having nine zero's!

However in European countries a billion has 12 zero's like the below!

$1.000.000.000.000,00 or as you have wrote it (UK style of using commas instead of dots)!

Educate yourself sister as I cannot do that always for you.

However I would agree that caution should be exercised because the UK used to represent a billion just like our sister Cambarro did but I guess she's somehow still stuck in the past because the UK way of representing a billion is out-dated and frankly not anymore in use!

You are an old soul Cambarro as the new generation here in Britain are now more leaning to the US way and style of representing a billion!

$1.000.000.000,00 or the way you have spelled it is a billion nowadays in the UK!

Where's 1.000.000.000.000,00 with twelve zero's is indeed a billion in many European countries and formerly in the UK as well but not any longer.

P.s. before you shout, there are indeed twelve zero's in the 'European billion' and not 14 because the last two figure's should not be counted, so get that in your head.

Taliban   
14 km isn't that long; there are some people who swam across the English Channel, a distance of 34 km (the narrowest part of the channel).

Baluug   

Originally posted by Shucayb:

14km..that is it.

That's what I was thinking. Is that it? Only 14 clicks between Africa and the Middle East?

MC Xamar here is the report in full in English, read it inshallah as it's the 'official source' by Reuters.

Yemen in talks for Africa bridge

Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Sanaa

Yemen is in talks with a Dubai-based company to build a 14-km bridge across the Red Sea to the Horn of Africa country of Djibouti, a Yemeni official said.

A UAE newspaper said the project, estimated to cost $1 billion, could be launched within two months, though it was not immediately clear when it would be completed.

'The company and the government are still in negotiations,' a senior Yemeni government official said.

'This project, if implemented, will be a main gate between Africa and Asia. It is crucial for trade and tourism.'

UAE newspaper Al Bayan cited unnamed officials as saying that Dubai-based Middle East Development company was discussing the bridge project with both Djibouti and Yemen, an Arab country on the southwestern edge of the Arabian peninsula.

It said the project would span Yemen's Red Sea island of Perim across the strait of Bab Al Mandib to Djibouti.

As well as a motorway to carry cars and trucks, the bridge will include a railway track which will be used to transport goods imported from Russia, India and China to Africa, it said.Reuters