Sign in to follow this  
Fiqikhayre

A bridge that will link up two continents!

N.O.R.F   

^^The bulk of the costs would not be in Labour but rather engineering and commercial. How high does the bridge have to be? How wide the spans? Will the construction effect the ships? How long for? How will the foundations be done? Insurance? etc

Very early stages but i just dont see it happening. Too must risk. Any risk managers in the house?

^ Yes indeed there are many risks invovled. However labour is what pushes western construction threw the roof. A bridge in Burco which cost 500k roughly would cost 5+ million in Canada. It is threw western beauracracy that such projects cost too much. But with the UAE factor that is nullified.

The fact that it could provide millions in toll revenue Yearly to both countries is one reason finances should not be a problem. Surely too functioning countries could take a loan from the IMF( However foolish it seems to borrow from THE IMF). A project of this magnitude is financially feasible and worthwhile to both parties, since it will not only benefit the two countries, but, also neighbouring counties in the Horn and throughout Africa and also throughout the Asia.

Secondly, as for the spans, depth etc they surely aren't foolish enough to ignore the international guidelines and necessary protocol for such a project.

N.O.R.F   

^^Thats the thing saxib. I dont recall a bridge across a sea. Maybe a river, a bay, a lake etc but this is the sea. There is no other project to learn from. Throw in the hundres of ships who pass through everyday and stiff oposition from the said organisations.

If the UAE will not want the money back then by all means go ahead with it. But i just dont see it happening.

Shucayb

The Golden Gate is a lot smaller project. This is very different.

Northerner

The UAE is seemingly the first for everything. They take on projects most wouldn't and attempt to supersize everything as you probably know intimately from daily life in the UAE.

The feasiblity is possibile. I doubt the project would cost a mere 1 billion on second thought. But a formula where Djibouti, Yemen, and the UAE share revenues could quell any financial worries for all parties.

RedSea   

^^Well I have no knowledge of such...but isn't this only 14KM?

I know that it needs to be strengthen to top level, so how huge of project are we looking here?

^ The golden gate bridge is only a couple of KM. This is 4-5 times larger then anything ever proposed.

However if anybody can do it. It is those pesky Emiraties.

Cara.   

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^Thats the thing saxib. I dont recall a bridge across a sea.

atlanticbridge2.jpg

Believe it or not, but that bridge spans the Atlantic Ocean.

N.O.R.F   

:D

I cant see an oil tanker passing through that one :confused:

1.jpg

Tallest bridge (look at the number of pillars required)

Som@li   

A bridge from Arabia to Africa

February 21, 2007

Yemen is in talks with a Dubai-based company to build a 14-km (8.7 miles) bridge across the Red Sea to the Horn of Africa country of Djibouti, a Yemeni official said on Tuesday.

A UAE newspaper said the project, estimated to cost $1 billion, could be launched within two months, though it was not immediately clear when it would be completed.

"The company and the government are still in negotiations," a senior Yemeni government official told Reuters.

"This project, if implemented, will be a main gate between Africa and Asia. It is crucial for trade and tourism."

UAE newspaper al-Bayan cited unnamed officials on Tuesday as saying that Dubai-based Middle East Development company was discussing the bridge project with both Djibouti and Yemen, an Arab country on the southwestern edge of the Arabian peninsula.

It said the project would span Yemen's Red Sea island of Perim across the strait of Bab al-Mandib to Djibouti.

As well as a motorway to carry cars and trucks, the bridge will include a railway track which will be used to transport goods imported from Russia, India and China to Africa, it said.

Reuters

Som@li   

Great news for the poor Djiboutians/Yemenis. Good hope for those pple, and i belive it is quite possible to build this kinda bridge, and regarding the right to build, they are fools even to consider this,if they dont know what they doing!

Cara.   

^Looks like a conceptual drawing, looking north from the island of Perim towards mainland Yemen.

Northerner, maybe a few ducks and some canoes, but no big rigs I think.

Oresund.jpg

The bridge that links between Malmo [iswiidhan] and Copenhagen [Denmark]. Its span is eight kilometres [8km], excluding another eight kilometres that goes above the ground.

It was built late '90s and inaugurated 2000. Its total cost more than 5 billion US dollars.

Many Soomaalis use this bridge, to and from Copenhagen or Malmo.

Yeman can dream, but I don't think they are currently capable, both financially and politically, iskaba dhaaf duruufaadka kale jiro.

Marooko and Spain were in talks as well, which would link Afrika and Yurub. I believe that will happen sometime in the next two decades. Both Marooko and Spain are financially capable; I am not, however, sure about political will.