Sign in to follow this  
Jamster

Rant on SOL

Jamster   

Salamu Alaikum,

What become of Somaliaonline?

In its inception, SOL was the beacon of Somali Cyber world; a place where the freethinking young nomads sought refuge from the wide speared garbage infested sites; the likes of Somalinet. Attracting the fresh minds of the age, men and women that like a honey pot congregated this place was numerous to mention their names. Ideas were exchanged, thoughts provoked and dogma was challenged. The place that was once bustling with inspirational, thought provoking not to mention edgy threads has slowly metamorphed into what many would call “run of the mill” forums. Topics that once would have been ridiculed are now taking over the threads—I hear many hissing with rage; how outrageous; Fahiye is being snob!!!. I assure you, I am just frustrated with the many garbage topics posted as though these were issues facing us everyday; for the love of god; write your emotional rubish in the dear dairy website!!!. Folks, SOL is not the the emotional laundry of the Somali diaspora.

I appeal to the likes of; Xiin, Baashe, Mutakalim, Salyci et all (and the many others who had contributed to SOL's enlightened years)to re-ignite the invigorating discussions we once enjoyed.

Or is it a case of SOL being lost cause as it became an open to all unlike the olden days where we felt as though we were a "family"?

Post Script

This is not meant to be patronising piece of writing. It is written out of frustration with the current deterioration of our beloved nomad virtual house. It should not be seen a piece of snobbery piffle. Thank you.

Nehanda   

A better solution to your dilemma would be to start that lively challenging debate you are ranting about.

Anyhow there is nothing wrong with light-hearted topics especially after a long day at work some us have no desire to engage in cumbersome debate which are likely to turn into lenghty tit-for-tat arguments.

Ms DD   

Fahiya

Start a lively discussion and the rest will contribute if they find it interesting enough. Besides I agree with you when it comes to the politics section. That place is a foul.

Besides Ramadan is on its way. So see you in the Islam section :D

Let's have fun people ,,, who needs a deep-routed discussion about a serious discussion horta ? :D

Well, i don't mind that sometimes but let's just have fun.

and don't start anything plz Dr. Fahiye .....

Jamster   

Nehanda--- This is a creating a lively discussion! I suspect there are some people who would disagree the what I have stipulated in my first post!!!.

MS D&S sis, Insha Allah, see you in Islam.

JB: The ever so crowd pleaser; we like you all par when you are the politics section.

Fahiye

PS: I have been a silent reader; what prompted me to write this is I am missing my daily dose of somali wisdom ;d

Paragon   

^^People are only too eager to discuss certain serious topics at a certain age of their lives. After a while, detailed and seriously thought-out discussions become a bore. You would expect younger aged debators to replace the huggered old fire-brands. In SOL's case, seems that isn't the case. The old are expected to repeat themselves while the young re-introduce previously discussed topics. Elders shouldn't be subjected to the crime of repeating themselves- that should be a capital crime.

PS: Maybe pedigree horses (or women) would make such an interesting and serious topics smile.gif . I am being light-hearted here ;) .

Nephissa   

Well now, isn't this interesting?

This thread, which asks a legitimate question about dumbing down the forums has 8 posts (ok, 9 with mine) and the thread about "1st impressions" which was started as a joke is in its 10th page.

Fahiye, I think your point has just been proven.

N.O.R.F   

^^thats not fair. Give this thread at least a week,,,,,,,and it will be way back on page 3 of the general section :D

Jokes aside, what is there to discuss? Should the poster not post something to discuss?

who is this person Fahiye! i never heard of him before... must be an undercover agent. I demand a through investigation of this person or i will do strike on sol...!

chop chop libaax! do you thang, touch his nose and id him.

Ibtisam   

This finger pointing is getting boring to say the least, if not annoying.

The old bunch of SOL (with the exception of very few people) silently browse the forum, huffing and puffing about the trash posted, down-grade of the forum, lack of intellectual stimulation and umpteen other complaints, Yet I don't see anyone posting any such threads or leading by example, What a bunch of followers :D Here is a suggestion stop moaning and post some of these discussions you speak of, clearly we (who are flooding the site) do not grasp what you mean by this. It is almost like you guys are waiting for something to happen lurking in the corners and PM’ing.

p.s. and if I might add another suggestion, check the last two pages of the general section and women ( I just did) I do not see any stimulating discussions. I just saw the some teenage vomits, few catfights and heaps of threads about love and marriage valentines day and if you can kiss your boy friend in public :rolleyes: so your theory of the deterioration of SOL is not proven. If anything people have become more tolerant and open minded.

p.s.s. Hopefully my post on this high class thread has made it trashy enough for others to reply to rather than sinking to page three as predicted by north.

N.O.R.F   

If anything people have become more tolerant and open minded.

Hmm, that’s interesting. Since joining SOL I have been exposed to the mind set of many a nomad but this doesnt mean tolerating their views. But most of the time I just be bothered!

But why can’t I be bothered? What is interesting and to whom? Long posts I don’t bother with most of the time. Does that make me lazy?