Sign in to follow this  
JUSTICE

LEARNING TO DRIVE

JUSTICE   

This might sound silly,but I need answers.

I want to apply for driving license in the UK, but I don't know if I can apply for automatic or manual. Someone told me that automatic is for disabled only, is it true? I don't want to do the manual one cause that will take ages. So answers , i want answers please. And thanks for your efforts.

nuune   

The manual is not that hard as it may sound to you, you can learn an easy way and take a short cut, if you have the car now , why not give it a try and do these steps:

Assuming you have a normal car.

Go to this link and do the steps, it will help you understand the overall picture of driving your first manual car:

How to drive a car with manual transmission

Hope you like it, also if you have friends who got cars, why not ask them to give you short drives and some practices

Baluug   

Thank God you live in the UK. I don't wanna have to look in my rear-view mirror every 10 seconds in case some crazy xaliimo is tearing up the road behind me!!

Urban   

lol^

nuune that's a great link mate.

Justice, i have another tip for you. Make sure the handbrake is down, now, pressing the clutch, put the car in first gear. Here's fun part, press the gas pedal about 80% down and immediatly let go of the clutch, real fast. You'll love the result trust me. :D

^ Thats terrible Urban, dont mislead the girl!

Dont try that Justice. Its dangerous. You're supposed to slowly balance the clutch up and the gas pedal down until the car starts to move.

You should try and learn to drive a manual and preferably pass ur test in it... that way you can drive manual or automatic later. If you get an automatic license, you wont be able to drive manual cars.

Foxy   

^ before you start getting ideas on what type(Manual/Auto) on or what have you to drive on, it would be a pleasant suggestion to get your theory part of the licence sorted,....just a suggestion! unfortunaelty alot of our folks drive with out licences,

cheers

N.O.R.F   

Justice, you will get a 'Provisional' Licence for learning. This allows you to drive manual or automatic. Its up to you. You will need to sort that out with your instructor. An automatic is easier.

When you are doing your lesson, do the theory test at the same time. This requires you to learn the 'art' of driving.

ps when you get your license dont forget to indicate when turning !!!!

I've been trying to take the learner's test on and off for seven years now. I never pass chapter 6. Last year, I gave up and went to the testing office without finishing the book and waited more than half an hour in a hot, stuffy, crowded waiting room for m y turn with the computer. When my number was called the lady asked me for two I.D.s. I blankly looked at her and said 'I didn't bring any'. She smiled sweetly and replied 'Then I guess you haven't been to the end of the book have you'. I shook my head no, embarassed.

I snuck out of there and haven't been back yet.

The point of this rambling is - I love public transportation. The car and air pollution can wait. icon_razz.gif

Saalixa   

Someone told me that automatic is for disabled only, is it true?

Excuse me???????

I drive auto and that makes me disabled? that is just mere insulting.

That is just a ****** thinking somali ppl because in somalia back in the days they only drove and new manual and auto was never tranported to or made in somalia. get it? when they vame to alien space diaspora they discovered there is auto but they never credit it because you know when you know one thing you still stick to it like glue.

manual is better is because when you get a manual licence you do not need to resit another test to drive an auto.

but if you get an auto licence you would need to resit another test. thats how it is in Oz.

But then in my part of the world ..auto cars are good and reliable if you buy a decent car that is(you would have alot of problems with a bomb :D )

And manual cars are alot cheaper...more reliable with thier body parts(see i dont know even the language of the car or it parts iam so bad i shouldnt even drive).

so there are just alot more advantages with getting a manual licence and i would advice to get one.

good luck

Cara.   

In the States you just take the test with an auto and you can still drive a manual without needing to take another test. Or at least you can TRY to drive it smile.gif

Where I am from at 15 you can learn to drive and at 16 you can get a full licence. Believe it not. At 15 driving was the hottest I could do( I know that sounds bizzare but not to a 15 year old).

Manual isn't as hard as everyone makes it sound, the most embrassing thing you can do is what we call 'bunny hoping' . I hated those moments. I use to loose complete control of the car.

A guy freind of mine recently told me he cant drive a manual car and I thought that was odd and kinda embrassing. He assured me he was not alone. Driving an automatic car is boring.! Besides manual cars are cheaper if you decide to purchase a car for the long run and they are also less costly.

Originally posted by Endeavour:

Besides manual cars are cheaper if you decide to purchase a car for the long run and they are also less costly.

That's true. Here in Ontario Canada, since most foreign cars come out of the factory with manual transmission... to get auto version you gotta pay extra $1000. Hefty sum if you ask in the light of all the ridiculous fees -- like car key fees! -- one must pay.

Hands down, manual cars give you better bang for the buck. Not only are they cheaper but they use less gas and you get more control of the car.

But there's competition in sight. CV transmission (Continuously variable transmission or CVT). Gives the perks and feel of manual transmission without manual transmission. Nifty idea. It's new so you'll find it on high-end and hybrid cars for now.