Sign in to follow this  
Juxa

Gobanimo June 1-----July 1

History of the flag

In 1949, the assembly of the United Nations decided that Somalia would be under the former Italian colonial power as a trusteeship territory for ten years. There were three other governments who were member of united nations commission that was sent to Somalia and were sent as advisory council of the trusteeship administration of Somalia. They were Egypt, the Philippines and Columbia. In April, 1950 the Italian trusteeship administration took over power of Somalia,and the British military administration left Somali During the early months of 1954, the legislative council had been formed by the Italian trusteeship administration and advisory council of the United Mations. The members of the legislative council were composed Somalis, Italians. Arabs and Indians. They had to prepare all laws and legislation concerning the country the ten years of trusteeship territory of the United Nations. The members were not elected,but each political party, foreign community or any other recognized organizations had to select members who were representative the above mentioned organizations.

Mr. Mohammed Awale Liban had been selected by the Somali labor trade union. Then members suggested the the Somalia national flag must be adapted by the legislative council in order that the somalia people get to know their National Flag before independence. So the program of the legislative council agenda reached to be discussed the Somali National Flag. Mr. Liban had proposed that only the somali members should discuss the issue of their own Flag. According to the legislative councils constitution each new proposal had to be voted on by the Legislative council members. Mr liban succeeded his suggestion.while members of legislative councils which now only Somalis. They choose the chairman for Mr. Sheik Omar. Then the temporary new chairman said that the agenda will debate the next day. Therefore Mr. liban went home and started to design the Flag. Of course he had chosen a blue color and the middle was a white star representing freedom.however, each point of the white star would represent the five Somalia regions, which were divided by the colonial powers.

The next morning the session started around 10:30. However, when the chairman had opened the session Mr. Liban had requested to the chairman to give him a chance to speak, the chairman allowed him. He stood up in front of legislative council members and stretched out on his chest the blue Flag with a white star in the middle. therefore as he kept on stretching on his chest, then one of the Somali members applauded and cheered while clapping for five minutes. The Somalia temporary chairman had made short speech in which he mentioned the greatness and ability of Mr. Liban whose talent had produced such a beautiful Flag less then 24 hours.

Ps: Allaaaheey janadii fardowsa ha ka warabsho Maxamed cawaale liibaan.

asxantu

Aamiin.

Cawaale, was a legend whose contribution to his country is everlasting (certainly hope so) and a genius whose design captures the agony of colonial divisions of his homeland and represents the innate longing for unity. I heard he went on to serve as the first chief of staff in President Aden’s government. I admire this man’s ingenuity, I really do and I will appreciate if any one gives us his biography.

ADNAAN   

On the 26th of june 1960, it was abwaan C/laahi Suldaan Timacadde who recited the poem KANA SIIB KANA SAAR in Beerta Xuriyada Hargeisa.(

Timacade4.gif

"May Allah Rest His Soul In peace"

Listen to him

Read here

In sidayda tihiin iyo

In kalaanan saxaynine

Soomaloo calan taagta

Saakay noogu horraysa oo

Saddex wiig iyo maalmo

Haddaan Soor cuni waayo

Safrad laygama yaaboo

Sarina mayso naftayda e

Saaxirkii kala guurraye

Sarreeyow ma-nusqaamow

An siduu yahay eegno e

Kaana siib kanna saar

Sallaankii istiqaalkow

Sedadu kay ku xidhnaydow

Sayruukhii Afrikaadow

Saaxirkii kala guurraye

Sarreeyow ma-nusqaamow

An siduu yahay eegno e

Kaana siib kanna saar

Soomaloo iscunaysa oo

Saqda qaylo dhawaaqdiyo

Sulub laysu cabbaystiyo

Hadba soof la xabbaadhiyo

Saraayaa dami weydey

Kii laydhiisu na saaqdayow

Kii sadqeeyey qabaa'ile

Isu saaray gacmaa ee

Saf walaala ka yeelayow

Saaxirkii kala guurraye

Sarreeyow ma-nusqaamow

An siduu yahay eegno e

Kaana siib kanna saar

Sawjarkaa hubka qaataye

Intuu soodhka ku taagey

U diyaara salaantiyo

Saraakiisha amraysaay

Sifihii isticmaarka

Ka siyaadiya maanta oo

Sibilkiinnan ag joogow

Sibirtiisa istaaga oo

Nin walbaan sigib beeloo

Sarow taaga gacmaa oo

Sacabkaysku garaaca oo

Nin walbow saddex goor

Subxaanow waa mahaddaa dheh

Subxaanow waa mahadaa

Subxaanow waa mahadaa

Subxaanow waa mahadaa!

Sky   

here is a picture of the man behind the somali flag, maxamed cawaale liibaan (alle haa uu naxariisto) standing between the two men shaking each others hand; president cabdirashiid cali shermaarke at the right and his prime minister maxamed ibraahim cigaal at the left.

syl_3.jpg

maxamed cawaale liibaan waa halyeygii calanka soomaaliyeed. he is originally from the ethiopian occupied area of somalia (though born in gaalkacyo), which has driven him to make a flag where the somalis outside the new republic are not forgotten and will be reunited in the future no matter what!

THE SYL LEGACY

syl_1.jpg

Paragon   

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY ...SOOMAALIYA HA NOOLAATO!

Allow me to count all the four weeks as as one day.

PS: can you hear the embeded sound? That national anthem smile.gif ...not exactly similar but close :D .

nuune   

jamaal, thanks sxb, I can hear that very well, good job.

Soomaaliya ha midowdo, ha noolaato, ha is raacdo, ha jirto, qaranimada soomaaliya ha waarto, qabiil diid qaran dhis

Saabir   

qoute Nuune: Soomaalida ha is raacdo, soomaaliya ha noolaato ha waarto, midnimada soomaaliya ha jirto, qabiil diid qaran dhis

War nuune ubaxa kacaanka miyaad ku jiri jirtay sxb smile.gif .

ADNAAN   

Originally posted by nuune:

Soomaaliya
ha midowdo, ha noolaato,
ha is raacdo
, ha jirto, qaranimada soomaaliya ha waarto, qabiil diid qaran dhis

Its just like saing,"ilmaha yar ee dhashey ha ordo intaau guur guuran"...so hold your horses my friend oo horta bal ha yar tukubisee u kaaddi.

nuune   

posted by Adnaan

Its just like saing,"ilma yr ee dhashey ha ordo intaau guur guuran"...

waad khaldantahay my friend, ha iska indha tirin waxaan qorey, simply say midnimada soomaaliya ma doonayo!

ADNAAN   

posyed by
Adnaan

quote:

Its just like saing,"ilma yr ee dhashey ha ordo intaau guur guuran"...

waad khaldantahay my friend, ha iska indha tirin waxaan qorey, simply say
midnimada soomaaliya ma doonayo!
Did I in any way hint I was pro union...Da answer is a BIG NO, I was merely saying to you "first things first"

nuune farta waaweyn ayey kuugu baxdaa malaha!! ;)

nuune   

adnaan, sxb halkani dabbaal dag aad u ballaadhan ayaa inooga socda ee kasoo qeeb gal haddii kale dee May 18 waa la soo dhaafayee ee bal leerta na yara sii aan bishanoo dhan dabbaal dagnee oon iska baashaalnee smile.gif

ADNAAN   

^^^Nuune i wasn't expecting dat from you. :( ..indeed u have disappointed me ;)

Besides who said landers can't celebrate too?...i can't wait 4 ur answer.

nuune   

waryaa Adnaan, markaad timacade gabaygiisa soo qortey baaban iska ogaa inaad ka qeeb gashey dabbaal daggee ee xoogaa anaa kugu sii abuurayey qiiro ama in yaroo wadaninimo ah oo guubaabin ah si uu jirku kuu dhaqdhaqaaqo :cool:

ADNAAN   

waryaa Adnaan, markaad timacade gabaygiisa soo qortey baaban iska ogaa inaad ka qeeb gashey dabbaal daggee ee xoogaa anaa kugu sii abuurayey qiiro ama in yaroo wadaninimo ah oo guubaabin ah si uu jirku kuu dhaqdhaqaaqo :cool:

Its all good bro...i can handle it smile.gif