Sign in to follow this  
money

Beautiful and Colorful Somali Family!

Miriam1   

citizenship vs ethnic identity...the earlier is acquired through official means...a nation state bestows upon its peoples the right to belong

and the latter through supposed lineage, and is unprovable.

So we have two contexts under which we can discuss what is "Somali" if you are want to think of it in terms of citizenship and belonging...then we are seriously out of luck, since there is no functioning nation state to pass any legislation to tell us if the Bantus are Somalis or not, and on which basis we can discriminate and prove one's somaliness.

So anyone can claim Somali ethnicity even my Sikh neighbor! how can you disprove it? Language does not count, religion is changeable, history can be studied, the way they look? ... doesn't matter now adays

What is left than is simple affiliation and shared history and association with culture and land, in this case the Somali Bantu's are more Somali than any of us born in the diaspora.

Cara.   

:rolleyes:

Nephthys in all fairness the guy also posted a picture of a young Somali girl about the same time. I don't think he had any sinister motives.

Nephissa   

Anigu waxaan u arkaa in dadkan in lagu maadaysto kaliya meshan uu u keenay. Sababtoo ah, haddii runta loo hadlaayo oo Ilaah laga baqaayo, wax 'beautiful' la yiraa anigu meesha ma arko. redface.gif .

money   

Cara Mia ...come sei carissima! you are so dear coming to my defense! You are very generous for doing it even though I didn't need it. For nephthys, I thought S/he (sorry not yet sure of your gender and remember I am new to this forum and don't know everyone's whatever) was kind sophisticated but I am proven wrong.

Hayam, u got it sis! very intelligent conclusion there! well said and well argued ...same goes to Faarax-Brown!

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I see beautiful Somali people and that is what counts. As if being Somali is ethnic nor not that is another case. I thought we Somalis are of the black race from ancient Egypt and that genetic genealogy and the DNA genome project placed us in the same group as Bantus and other East African people.

but whatever it is, the ladies in that picture are beautiful Somalis who are proud of being Somalis and no one can take that Somali-ness from them in real world or in the cyber one.

Anigu waxaan u arkaa in dadkan in lagu maadaysto kaliya meshan uu u keenay. Sababtoo ah, haddii runta loo hadlaayo oo Ilaah laga baqaayo, wax 'beautiful' la yiraa anigu meesha ma arko. .

Nephys, you might think they are not beatiful but they are beatiful in their own way.

Skipper   

Originally posted by The Zack:

^Well said Skipper! So if bantus were from Tanzania ethnically, living or being born in Somali doesn't change the fact they are still Tanzanians, right?

Zack congratulations sxb you have conneced the dots. But still i sence that what i am trying to say has not been understood fully. Let me put it another way: If you throw a goat in an ocean it will allways remain a goat amoungst fish, but it will never be be a fish.

and the latter through supposed lineage, and is unprovable.

In the case of the Bantus,there is enough documentation to prove otherwise. They are descendants of the Bantu tribes from the congo forest(Where most Bantus come frrom)

Bantus are not ethnic Somalis,so calling them Somalis,needs asterick sign on it. I am not saying being somali is special or anything,but we need to get the facts right,at least.

In Kenya for instance,the're Indians,Omanis & British natives who have become Kenyan Nationals. They came there during colonialism...that doesnt make them a Nilote or cushite. They are still caucacians ya know? The same applies for Bantu Somalis, they are Somali nationals,but they still remain ethnically Bantus.

If i were a Bantu,i would stay true to my identity,Bantus are very industrious and really inteligent people.-- I would say more than Somalis.

Miriam1   

I am curious, what sort of documentation can prove the identity of an individual bantu-somalis as being such?

I do understand that there could have been some sort of continuous migration across borders at some point in time, that has been documented historically.

Yea I agree with you on the Omanis and Indians who came to Kenya during Colonialism are not *natives* of the land when they arrived.

But today over half century later, what are they? For instance, I have friend of mine, she's light skinned from Kenya, Muslim and claims Kenyan ethnicity and nationality,

when questioned about her family, one of her grandfathers is partially Somali and one grandmother is partially Indian, her father is more of an native Kenyan, her cousin more of an Omani etc etc...but she sees herself without quotations marks, simply Kenyan

Point being, people inter-marry, adopt new cultures, religions etc. There is no fixed proof, something that is unchangeable or inarguably.

Beauty of migration !

So all I am saying is that ethnicity, is not as fixed as we would like to believe it is, you cannot put an astrick mark on anyone with confidence.

Fabregas   

Bantu is not really an ethnicity-per se. It's just a magac- assembled together to describe people who speak similary related languages.

In the case of "Somali Bantus", they are Somalis, same way an African-America, or a Italian-AMerican, is considered an "American". They have integrated to the Somali Language and culture, but the bantu prefix acknowledges their past. I hear one of their kinsmen was one of the founding father of SYL. Thus Somali they are, for sure, nagadaya xinka, @SOmalians!

Originally posted by Castro:

Bantu Somalis are head and shoulders above "ethnic" (god damn) Somalis in every way.

I know,matter of fact,every other African species is better than Somalis,Except Habashis. smile.gif

Seriously,if i were a Bantu,i would proudly refuse to be associated with Somalis. Bantus,are really industrious people, Half of the Africans are Bantus & they are really better off than us.

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

^ I was under the impression you were a Bantu.

Actually NO. I am American. Since i now live in America,i will no longer call myself Bantu...because i am American smile.gif