Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

The Status of Khat

ailamos   

It's been scientifically proven that khat has adverse affects on:

Driving Ability: http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/88/3/09-067512/en/index.html

Dental Health: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20391274

Reproduction: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12953742

and...

Psychology: http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/reprint/9/6/456.pdf

Didn't Prophet Muhammad state, according to Muslim, in chapter 7 of Kitab Al Ashriba (The Book of Drinks), that "Every intoxicant is Khamr, and every Khamr is haram.".

As there are also obvious proofs in the Quran about the avoidance of intoxicants, so why is khat tolerated in certain Muslim countries? Up to the point that some Muslim groups have imposed a tax on the product.

nuune   

Allaahu Akbar, Ailamos is on board, Ilaah ha kuu siyaadiyo hanuunka sxb, and keep up the research smile.gif

nuune   

Ibti :D there is some kind of syain dat goes along like this: qofkuu Ilaah rabo inuu hanuuniyo, meel aadan filaneenin ayuu hanuunka ka helaa smile.gif

But not sure if many people will give up giza, dabamusbaar, dhajis, hareeri, quti iyo dharmajaq, there are 20 names for khat alone, one can only give up one type but can't all of them

Ibtisam   

Nunne hanuun works in strange ways, sometimes those who you think need it least need it the most. But as long as we all get a share eh.

ailamos   

it just sounds quite hypocritical to ban certain intoxicants and allow others for the sake of reasons that, to me, are incoherent.

Ibtisam   

^^^Where/ which country is Khat allowed and other intoxicants banned? Somalia and Yemen think it is barris and nothing else is banned there.

I never thought Khad was a drug until I took a Chemical Dependancy class back in college and had to double check to make sure I wasnt mistaken,LOL! I'm against all balwad including that dreadful Shiisha that's become so hip now even grandmothers smoke it.

Originally posted by ailamos:

it just sounds quite hypocritical to ban certain intoxicants and allow others for the sake of reasons that, to me, are incoherent.

I agree with you that Western countries to allow the consumption alcohol and banned substance such as Khat, Cocaine, Hashis/Marijuana, and Opium. What a hypocrite they are. :D

Seriously though, you can't compare Khat to Alcohol, they are not in the same league.

I agree with you on this.

anything that can be classified as a 'maan-dooriye' should be banned.

Khat should be banned, but the same brand of hypocrsy is practiced everywhere

e.g weed vs Alchohol

they ban weed but they are ok with the much more destructive alchohol.

ailamos   

^^ I see your points Gs but why not compare khat to alcohol? they both are intoxicants... if one is to follow the rules as they are laid down then one must abstain from both, isn't it how it's supposed to be? or can people pick and choose?

^Are you suggesting that Khat has the same affects of alcohol on people? How does Khat intoxicate people? And the by way if you are looking at religious point of view, alcohol is prohibited and mentioned in the holly book, that can't be said on Khat or can we?

Don't repeat "but it's intoxicant" please :D