Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

100,000 Europeans flood into Angola

Peacenow   

I wonder if the 'butter wouldn't melt' Europeans would think if they were to read data like this. About 100,000 Europeans flee Europe for job prospects in Angola.

Angolan Riches Lure New Wave of Workers

Portuguese Professionals Flee the Downturn for Former Colony's Fast Growth; 'Anything Can Happen Here'

http://online.wsj.co m/article/SB12540963 0023845069.html

Cowke   

Interesting article bro, but it seems like these foreigners are going to be targetted like south africans target somali business men in the townships because they think somalis are stealing their jobs which they are.

So i think the anonymosity can be devastating towards these foreigners in the long run.

I wish somalia was like angola.

Rayyan   

Originally posted by President Anwar:

now that what i call a sticky situation
:D

soon we will see BLACK SKINHEAD'S demanding there country back
:D

Interseting, or the whiteSkinheads claim/reclaim they discover a new gem in africa, call it neocolonisation or plundering their wealth. as someone put it, how the 18th centuray europeans claim they disover africa, latin america, and australia,and many other places, a someone's home for that matter and call everybody in latin america indians when india is on the other side of world.

Ms DD   

There is a difference. Although most immigrants to the West and those to Africa are both economic migrants, somehow those migrants to Africa (i.e the white folks) come off better financially than those getting meagre income either from their jobs or ceydhain the west.

So yes.. I object to Europeans once again usurping africa natural resources. As if the previous colonisation wasnt enough. This time koofiyad cusub ey noo soo xidheen.

ElPunto   

^It would be nice if Africans started acting like grownups - but they don't which is what leads to the neo-colonialism.

One of the appeals of Angola's job market is high salaries. For many of Mr. da Costa's clients in Angola, a starting salary for an entry-level position in banking or civil engineering is between $2,000 and $5,000 a month. By comparison, a high starting rate in Portugal for a similar job is €1,000 a month.

Mr. Da Rocha was one of several dozen men from the small town who went off to Angola when local rock-quarry jobs began to dry up. Ms. Silva said her husband tried working in Switzerland, but "he didn't earn enough and he missed us."

Now, Mr. Da Rocha earns €2,000 a month working in a mine in Tulunga. There, he lives in a camp with other Portuguese and Angolan workers. He plans to return home in late September.

Sad - they're giving them high salaries in a country where the cost of living is dirt cheap and the governments are unable to train people to quarry rocks let alone anything more advanced. Aficans are the root of their own problems.

Originally posted by ThePoint:

^It would be nice if Africans started acting like grownups - but they don't which is what leads to the neo-colonialism.

quote:

One of the appeals of Angola's job market is high salaries. For many of Mr. da Costa's clients in Angola, a starting salary for an entry-level position in banking or civil engineering is between $2,000 and $5,000 a month. By comparison, a high starting rate in Portugal for a similar job is €1,000 a month.

Mr. Da Rocha was one of several dozen men from the small town who went off to Angola when local rock-quarry jobs began to dry up. Ms. Silva said her husband tried working in Switzerland, but "he didn't earn enough and he missed us."

Now, Mr. Da Rocha earns €2,000 a month working in a mine in Tulunga. There, he lives in a camp with other Portuguese and Angolan workers. He plans to return home in late September.

Sad - they're giving them high salaries in a country where the cost of living is dirt cheap and the governments are unable to train people to quarry rocks let alone anything more advanced. Aficans are the root of their own problems.
In case I've failed to note the sarcasm here, that might be one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read on this website. The roots of neo-colonialism stretch back to African's level of maturity??? Really? Even Rudyard Kipling would disagree with your assessment. Stop making blanket generalizations with zero basis. So rampant exploitation of African natural resources to this day, structural adjustments programs which curb the development of African industry, and the continued support of African dictators continent wide in exchange for stable financial practices are all to be discounted, and instead we should focus on the level of African intellect and maturity? Incredible.

RedSea   

Africa: Back to where it all started. I suggest we Somalis get our act together and get our country back before it's too late. Soon we will see chinese, Russia and the U.S competing of who will get a base in the pearl of Africa.

NASSIR   

Angola needs skilled workers at this stage of its development, i.e exchange of technology, resource extraction and management.

When will rich Congo become like Angola?