Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

100,000 Europeans flood into Angola

ElPunto   

Originally posted by GoldCoast:

In case I've failed to note the sarcasm here, that might be one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read on this website.

You sure about that? There have been some pretty wild things stated on SOL. Glad to see I qualify for that award saaxib.

The roots of neo-colonialism stretch back to African's level of maturity??? Really? Even Rudyard Kipling would disagree with your assessment. Stop making blanket generalizations with zero basis. So rampant exploitation of African natural resources to this day, structural adjustments programs which curb the development of African industry, and the continued support of African dictators continent wide in exchange for stable financial practices are all to be discounted, and instead we should focus on the level of African intellect and maturity? Incredible.

It's funny - this tendency of [some] Africans to blame others for their problems. Since the 60s when most African countries gained independance - things have regressed instead of getting better. At the same time - other previously colonized countries were able to advance - ie Southeast Asia, the Middle East etc. Why is black Africa different? Is Africa the only place where resource exploitation or IMF/WB structural programs have occurred? Is it the only place where dictators have been supported in exchange for stability? Even if you have dictators does that preclude economic and social development? The Gulf countries are all ruled by US backed dictators but they have managed to do something with their countries. On the other hand - you have a Mobutu Sese Seko - who squirrled away billions in foreign bank accounts - while his country barely had a road network. That is typical of the African record. Neither mature nor grownup.

I think it's better to examine issues rather than getting all prickly and defensive when Africans are rightly criticized for the failings of their respective countries.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by NASSIR:

Angola needs skilled workers at this stage of its development, i.e exchange of technology, resource extraction and management.

When will rich Congo become like Angola?

It's true you need skilled people and as FB put it diversity is a good thing. But as a country it's not good to have the economy and power in the hands of a racial minority. You get unhealthy situations like the Asians in Uganda.

Originally posted by ThePoint:

quote:Originally posted by NASSIR:

Angola needs skilled workers at this stage of its development, i.e exchange of technology, resource extraction and management.

When will rich Congo become like Angola?

It's true you need skilled people and as FB put it diversity is a good thing. But as a country it's not good to have the economy and power in the hands of a racial minority. You get unhealthy situations like the Asians in Uganda.
Yo! look what the mukulal dragged?

I think Africans need to let this go. Angola needs the expertise and the manpower to pull this off. Of course,that does not mean you should give these folks the free pass...there should be some guidelines and special F1 visas. And of course,they should be taxed to the MAXIMUM. Isnt this capitalism afterall?

NASSIR   

ThePoint, as they say 'isolation is no longer a practical policy'. Angola has to open up and integrate with the world market.

Who wants an idle resources? With government regulation safeguarding the interest of the nation and its resources, diverse talents can be tapped and investments encouraged. How about adopting the UAE model?

Can you explain further on how Angola's economy is in the hands of a racial minority?