Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Women space is shrinking?

SeeKer   

A year or so ago, I got engaged in a discussion in this forum regarding the link between exposure of flesh and rape. This is a debate that will forever be heated and polarized. Today I propose to add another dimension into this debate. A dimension that many of us are exposed to on a daily basis and worse still don't acknowledge the impact it has. I am speaking about Advertisements.

In the ad world a women is forever seen as an object, one to be seen and not heard, one whose will is not her own to control, one whose problems could be turned into the "in" thing. Women are infantilized, sex is trivilized, teenagers are hypersexualized, all this leads to a creation of a world that a woman is more likely to be raped or beaten. A woman is dehumanized to the point that you are not seen a factor in this world but merely a contributor to the man's world.A woman is placed in a box and therein she will lie.

Take a moment during your daily tasks and actually understand the messages behind the ads. Maybe then a dialogue will spring as to how to bring about a change. Here are some images that depict some of the issues I broached.

Image83.jpg

The aggression is male attribute and the woman can't do diddly squat about it.

Image78.jpg

The bruised look is in, hit me again baby :eek:

Image64.jpg

She doesn't really mean it when she says NO!

Image54.jpg

Lesson #6: If he resists,practice hypnosis

Image59.jpg

Be so skinny the air will pick you up :D

Shakti   

whats that saying " if u cant beat them join them, beat them later" yeap, 26 Nov07 im scheduled for surgery.

ps.Can someone help me with, the part on the form that says emergency contact? :D

Originally posted by SeeKer:

This is a debate that will forever be heated and polarized. Today I propose to add another dimension into this debate.

Debate? Like argue a point? Hmm, I don't think so! Sorry walaashiis, I don't argue with women. It's because they don't got any moral sense unlike their male counterparts.

Naden   

Seeker,

The images from ads. are just that, images. Some are even beautiful. The first image is clearly dramatized, and to infer male aggression and female subordination is simply your interpretation, and one you're entitled to. I see an image of 2 lovers, he wants to be heard and draws her closer to be heard. There is defiance and sadism in her pout. Power, no less, despite the strength of his hand. More importantly, I see 2 very young, healthy people. They're not selling whatever it is they were hired for alone, they are selling us symmetrical beauty, youth, health and drama. It is a photographer's eye, a make-up artist's vision, a model's ambition, and a business' marketing plan. The sociology of rape and violence against women is an alien graft, an afterthought that may or may not ring true.

Your interpretation of image #3 as violating the NO means No campaign is noted. But it really misses a wide range of reactions it is perhaps meant to illicit. Again, two young people are selling the rest of us a dream (and a couple of products). There is illusion and a voyeuristic appeal, the same reason we watch movies and reality TV, to watch other people's drama. It is human nature.

For the bra ad., do we have any doubt that a pair of young, bouncy boobs have moved the innards of men since the beginning of time? And why the hell not, they're gorgeous. Compared, of course, to a grandmother's, um, mammaries. Beauty, beauty, beauty, nothing more, nothing less.

A woman is dehumanized to the point that you are not seen a factor in this world but merely a contributor to the man's world.A woman is placed in a box and therein she will lie.

Seeker, I'm sorry but 'dehumanized' is unfortunate. Women, their bodies, minds, ambitions, sex appeal and every other thing are powerful. It drives men crazy and makes many desperate to control, comment upon, imprison, maim, own, and lust after. The man grows in a woman's belly and is forever contained by her. His mother, wife and daughter decide how his life is lived. Now his boss and doctor have a say as well.

Rape is a crime of sex, violence, opportunity, upbringing, poverty, opulence, ignorance, overexposure, repression, sadism, and power. Most importantly, it is the violence of one human against another - most rape victims know or are related to their assailants. Civil society/rules can curb and punish it but can't do much about the above factors.

Gabdhihii oo dhan waa guursadeen, inta soo hartayna waxaan u rajeyneynaa iney iska daayaan internet-kaan oo ay nin fiican soo qabtaan, inteysan cajuusooyin noqon!

Cara.   

Don't you actually have to buy fashion magazines to be bombarded with these images? Serves them right, I say.

Aaliyyah   

Seeker keep in mind that ladies are objects from western perspective. Where they sell every add with a half naked woman. So those who follow their religion need not to bother with it, alhmadu lilaah we are confident,beautifull, and have dignity in ourselves and don’t need to put ourselves out there just to boost our self esteem. You would see none-believers and many believers with a low Iman going through anorexia so they can feel better about themselves. I know some of my friends they are obsessed with what they eat, oh this have too much calories. I would say enjoy yrselves eat whateva as long as you are healthy, weight should never be an issue, of course you don’t need to be overweighed, and you would never be if u balance yr diet, without being so obsessed with every little thing you eat.

Alle ubaahne lol@ inay iskadayaan internetka oo nin wacan radiyaan.Qofwalba wuxu guursanaya markuu alle calfo. Many of us are waiting to complete our university studied before we settle. Personally speaking after I get my undergrad. Degree, I would like to get in graduate school insha-allah. I don’t c myself getting married now, or any time soon, perhaps in six years. Lots of time to look for Mr. Right aint it. Latar u all.

wa salaam.

Originally posted by AAliyah416:

I don’t c myself getting married now, or any time soon, perhaps in six years. Lots of time to look for Mr. Right aint it. Latar u all.

wa salaam. [/QB]

6 years is too Long.

MR and Miss Right don't exist,we create them.

Damn u are Patient.Very Patient! :cool:

SeeKer   

Naden,

First off images are very powerful medium and thats why they are used. The images that are being used widely these days do what a thousand words don't. Its the subcouncious guttering of the female form. You don't have to be flipping through a magazine to encounter these images. They are on the billboards, the sides of the buses, in between your fav tv show. If you want to see the effect of it ask a little child in elementary what a perfect woman is and I am sure the reply would include thin,tall & showing cleavage. The images teach a young girl earlier on that she is expected to be skinny, fashionable, sexy.........she is not taught that she can be a smart, innovative woman. Case in point when Nancy Pelosi got her position as speaker of the house the way the media covered her was in terms of her female role, her clothes, her being a mother of children not her achievements.

ladies n gentlemen..we are not in saudi arabia but in babylon..! so very thing is for sale here! that includes u n me!

so if that bothers u, u got 2 choices, love it or ignore it..!

Images are just images, they will depict a great many things if you have the time to pay attention to them, male aggression, animalizing black models to show they sub-human, eating disorders, drug addiction been cool etc. etc. The list goes on and on! Thank God we muslim women have to wear our burkha at all time we don't need 2 be part or subjec of this mayhem.

Naden   

Seeker, I get what you're saying. Advertising relies on a hypersexual image of women, mostly unnecessarily to play to the natural human attraction to all things sexual. I agree with you that many depictions are vulgar and demeaning. Fashion photography, however, can be beautiful and creative art.

The images teach a young girl earlier on that she is expected to be skinny, fashionable, sexy.........she is not taught that she can be a smart, innovative woman

While true, your argument is perhaps a few decades late. There are plenty of successful and positive role models for young girls. Girls are outshining boys in many educational fronts and the results are showing at the college level. A woman has never had it so good, in my opinion. Now, more than any other time, she IS smart and innovative and has made serious leaps in all fields in such a short time given the history of humanity.

Yes, young and emaciated women seem to be the standard of beauty in fashion magazines but since when are women not subjected (and not subjecting themselves) to standards of beauty outside the norm. Forget TV, BET and Glamour for a second and think of beauty standards in the past from impossibly small waists, physiologically improbable small feet, unnaturally large ankles for svelte nomads, fair skin for people in the sun, dark skin for pale folks, and so on.

SeeKer   

^^^Glad you agreed. Apart from small waist, small feet and unnaturally large feet, during the Renaisance period thick women were the standard of beauty. My qualm arises from me seeing my little sister (8 yrs) not eating and I can practically count the ribs on her malnourished frame. In the past, children were children but now they are a market to be exploited and swayed and frankly its deplorable. Where do you draw the line? Subjected or not ads have taken their art form to a different level, one that seems to be leading the Z generation into a dark tunnel. Its not only the objectification that's bothering me but the effects (long & short) of it.