Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

**Londoners...Are you ready??

Toure,

What exactly has the labour party done for Somalis or Muslims!

Just because the labour party has traditionally been the party of the working class and ethnic minorities! People fail to see the real intentions of the labour party. Since 1994, they have stolen conservative party policies and have masqueraded them as their own. The labour party is in serious decline sxb, do yourself a favour and join the conservatives.

Ibtisam   

I await you response to my earlier questions smith.

CL it is sad indeed, I some how assumed you would know better. :(

If you are interested in putting yourself forward as a candidate for Mayor of London, contact London Elects to request a nomination pack.

Nomination criteria

To stand as a candidate in the Mayoral elections you must meet certain criteria. You must be 18 years old or over when nominations open on 18 March 2008, and a citizen of the UK, European Union or Commonwealth.

You must also be registered to vote in London or have lived, worked, rented or owned property in London for the last 12 months.

How to apply

If you decide to stand as a candidate for Mayor of London and you meet the criteria, you have to complete a nomination form and a signed and witnessed ‘Consent to Nomination’ form. Both can be obtained from the GLRO by contacting London Elects.

As well as the forms, you need to get 330 signatures from people on the electoral register supporting your nomination: 10 from each London borough and from the City of London. You will also have to pay a deposit of £10,000, which is returned if you get more than 5% of first choice votes in the election.

If you are standing as a candidate for a registered political party, you must have a certificate from the party. If you want to use the party’s emblem on the ballot paper you must submit a signed request. A candidate not standing for a registered political party can either use the description ‘Independent’ or have no description.

You must submit the forms, deposit and signatures to the GLRO between 18 March 2008 – when the Notice of Election is published – and 12pm on 28 March 2008, when nominations close.

Nomination packs and guidance are available from London Elects now.

Mayoral address booklet

Candidates can have an "address" – or mini-manifesto – published in the Mayoral Address Booklet, which is sent to all registered voters in London before election day. If, as a candidate, you would like to be included in the booklet, you have to contribute £10,000 towards the cost of printing and distributing the booklet. This is non-refundable.

Candidates' expenditure

Candidates are limited to spending no more than £420,000 on their election campaigns. This covers:

Party political broadcasts

Advertising

Unsolicited material distributed to voters

Party manifestos

Market research

Press conferences and media

Transport during the campaign

Rallies and other events

Expenses are counted from the 18 March 2008 and candidates must submit their expenses to the Greater London Returning Officer (GLRO) no later than 70 days after the result of the election has been declared.

More details

You can find full details on the necessary qualifications for standing as Mayor of London in section 20 of the Greater London Authority (GLA) Act 1999. More details about candidates' expenditure are in the Representation of the People Act 1983, as amended by the Electoral Administration Act 2006.

Can I stand?

18 years or older Citizen of the UK, European Union or Commonwealth Either: Registered to vote in London, or Have lived, worked, rented or owned property in London for the last 12 months

Nomination checklist

Nomination form Consent to nomination form 330 signatures from London electorate - 10 from each borough £10,000 deposit

In this section

The Mayoral address booklet Standing for the London Assembly

Related links

Key dates for candidates and parties What does the Mayor of London do? Voting for the Mayor of London 2004 Mayoral election results External links

Greater London Authority The Mayor of London

© London Elects 2007–2008

Legal Sitemap Accessibility Contacts Feedback London Elects Media

Red Ken is a walking disaster! the man is incompetent and not fit for office. he is a political opportunist who will appeal to whoever can give him votes. There has been so many scandels during his disastrous tenue. just last week there was the Lee Jasper incident. the man is a sexist and backed his colleague to the hilt. And finally isnt time he left! he has been there since the start. how can we ever judge his record if he doesnt give someone else the chance to run things!

moving beyond yourself.... your vision should be the for the betterment of the muslim, somali community.

many things i share with most conservatives Anti-Abortion,Anti-gay,good social values, anti-antisemitism............ the deal breaker is they are all anti-muslim

Seriously there is no difference between new labour party and the conservatives, the only difference is the former has guised itself but the devils is always in the details look at the policies and come back to me I am not saying the conservatives are perfect hell I don't like half of them but at the end of the day I support most of the policies.

Ps GJ what makes you think new labour is not ant Islamic?

CL I know next to nothing about political parties in England..... I was referring to Conservatives in general...... they share the same basic policies regardless which country....... they tend to be nationalistic,pro-business,anti-gay,anti-abortion etc. if they didn't hate us so much i would vote for them every time.

Thierry.   

1. Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.

2. Record number of students in higher education.

3. 85,000 more nurses.

4. 12. 32,000 more doctors.

5. Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

6. On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

7. 600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.

8. Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.

9. New Deal - helped over 1.8 million people into work.

10. Overseas aid budget more than doubled.

These are just a few of the achievement of labour in the last 11 years. Marcas and CL if I was you I would pay special attention to achievement number 2 and go back to education enrolment prior to 1997.

Decide on policies folks not because you want to be controversial or because it is hip to vote for a party. Gordon Brown is the best Chancellor this country has had in the last century and is doing very well as PM.

Yes there are many policies that I disagree with the labour party however in comparison to Conservatives Labour is the best party hands down.

Blessed   

Go, Ken, Go!

Honestly, I wish I was in London, this is one man that I would actually leave the comfort of my house to vote for. Even, if he was replaced by a Muslim MP, I doubt the Muslim community will ever get a better friend in a politician, with the exception of Galloway.