Sign in to follow this  
Baluug

Khat, Jaad, the green stuff

Baluug   

I was just wondering who in here is a regular chewer(or at least who will admit to it :D )

I honestly don't like it much. It tastes like crap, my jaw hurts from all the chewing, and the worst part is that it makes me feel tired and when I try to sleep, I can't!! What the hell is that? I honestly think it's a waste of time and money. For the amount of money I need to buy a bag of khat in Calgary, I could buy weed for cheaper, it will actually do something, and it's no more halal or haram than jaad, so what's the point? Not saying I smoke weed, cuz I quit that a long time ago, but just saying. Why is this thing so popular with Somali people?

BOB   

I once tried it in my teens and I swore never to put it in my mouth ever again after uu carabka iga goo-gooyey and looking back now I'm grateful to Allah that I never picked up that habit otherwise ilko la'aan ayaa ka dhici laheed meesha sida some guys that I know...

You may not believe this but I TRIED so hard to be a smoker because I was stup!d enough to believe it was cool to smoke but somehow I always ended up throwing the bloody thing away after couple of puffs as it made me feel dizzy and eventually throw up...growing up in Eastleigh was not easy where one is exposed to all kinds of drugs but I was too scared to try weed even after I'm offered more than I care to remember...and boy am I glad that I never Alxamdulillaah...as they say Weynaadaa Wanaagsanaada.

Peace,Love & Unity.

Khalaf   

Tagisle bro good question why is this grass popular?....i say its haraam to those i know cause its intoxtiant ppl dont want it hear it and say its not haram wa caadi even ppl i highly respect that dont chew but they dont consider it haraam....jaad is not social taboo like alcohol or weed, its like smoking cigrates for somali ppl, vast majority chew or have chewed in their past, i couldnt believe my pops chewed back in day....if he chewed out all ppl then its cool if i try it? :D ......I always wanted to try jaad just to see what it tastes like,.....there two kinds one that looks like grass, other long sticks this one is more expensive and juicy. istagfrullah jks

Keyf u tried it? :D

Kool_Kat   

^^LOOOOOL...

How could one compare the two?

Jaad

$80

Caawadhan cun

Takes up your nite

Hurdo la'aan

Weed

$5 $10 $15 your choice

Puff puff and pass

5min and you're high

Hurdo macaan

And let's not get into other benefits of weed...

I have not tried either one, that is what I heard people say...That's my story and I am sticking to it...loooolz

Ibtisam   

^^^^Loool^ Classic. Stick to your story indeed :D

I was offered to try jaad when i was in Burco, I refused because my edo looked like she was going to smack my cuz for even offering. So I did not get to see what the big deal is about. It does not look attractive and far too messy for my liking, and it looks boring cawwab so faadi. Not to mention good bye to your perfect teeth.

Paragon   

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

^^LOOOOOL...

How could one compare the two?

Jaad

$80

Caawadhan cun

Takes up your nite

Hurdo la'aan

$80? Wow! It costs a fortune. Or is it a kilo? How do the Somalis afford it?

The entertainment and social qualities of qaad is beyond my judgment, but I'll say few words about it. When an esteemed oldman or leader is being offered the utmost hospitality there is around, qaad comes in the conversions. 'War waan inaa qayilnaayoo is wareysanaa' reverberates from the lips of the older men. And for qaad to be suggested at special conversations such as those, says alot of what it means to the old timers. Qaad is only followed by shaah - this is the females' way of welcoming the guest smile.gif .

On the effects of qaad, I think the gradual build-up and consist maintenance of a stimulating and jovial state of mind, makes it the more preferable herb to weed. I have never seen more intelligent Somalis than the odd chewing man. To be quite honest, apart from its social implications, I try to reserve by judgment on qaad. I have lived in country in which it grew but never touched it. But never say never :D . An adventure into the unknown universe of qaad is recommended. I want a boosted intelligence, at least for once smile.gif .

Ms DD   

Would my reputation go down the drain if i was to say that i chewed once? :D

Only cos myneighbour told me and my gran that it was medicinal for the flu.

Ibtisam   

^^^^biif iyo baaf, there goes your reputation! You DID WHAT!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Edo you are not so perfect goody two shoes! :D

P.s. What was it like??

Paragon: eeyah? you must be kidding :cool:

Paragon   

Looool MsD&D.

Jacayl, maxaa ka macna ah. Dhowr laamood ood qanqaniintay :D . Wakukaa waan qirtaye bal adiga car qiro inaad Hargeysa qaad field-day u tagtay :D . I think waxaad ku jirtaa kuwii ku heesi jirey - 'Jabbanaha aroortii, nafta raaxa geliyaay!... :D .

Ghanima, what? smile.gif