Sign in to follow this  
sheherazade

Calling all Aussies

G'day

I'd like to know what the life of an average Somali is like in Australia- too general a question? For instance:

Are the Somalis mainly concentrated in Sydney and Melbourne?

Are the kids doing well in schools?

Is unemployment high?

How deep or obvious is the racism ...considering the plight of the indigenous people..

..oh, u know, all the usual fun diasporic stuff...

Curious Up Above

MD   

We have Aussie nomads here, I love the place not sure why..maybe cause i have a lot of family there..everyone in my family went there for a vist except moi..but one day inshaAllah..SO AUSSIE nomads come out and tell us about Australia :D

I am an aussie Nomad... unfortunately I am soo lazy i cant answer all these questions. Besides once I have been told if i write more than three lines I start not to make sense.

Hope other aussies will answer ur q's

Cheers

Jaabir   

My sister who lives in Sydney was telling me the other night that the last time she saw a Somali was 8 months ago!!!

Good god…

Okay since Zu is actin like the typical lazy aussie bloke. Ill answer your questions

first of all most somalis without a doubt are concentrated in the city of Melbourne which also has the largest population of Eritreans and Ethiopians, Sydney also has a fairly reasonably sized community less then Melb which is why i find what Darman says about his sister not seeing a somali in 8 months very hard to believe :eek: somalis are also found in Adelaide and Brisbane but this would be a very small amount, and also in the city of Perth which is recieving increased numbers of somalis from Melbourne and Sydney, so who knows Perth may one day be the Somali capital of Australia.

How are somalis doing education wise,

from what i have seen somalis are doing fairly well, ofcourse u have those who would rather not study at all but somalis are found in all unis even if it is a sole student,

i have heard of a few students in Medicine and Law so i guess education wise things are looking better and better.

Employment wise Aus is a place where if u really want a job u can get one, im not really sure how well somalis fair in unemployment though, never really occured to me that there may or may not be an unemployment problem, don't forget there is an unlimited oppurtunities for faraaxs to get into the taxi service. ;)

Discrimination wise, somalis are in no way treated like Aboriginals in Australia ofcourse society has its racists for somalis the biggest issue would probably be discrimination due to our religion, despite what i have said Australians are very open minded people so discrimination is few and far between. I guess it is because race has not become such a central issue as it has in the US and UK i assume.

Oh mind you recently in the city of Perth there has been some violent encounters between somalis and Aboriginals so somalis are quite wary of the Aboriginals themselves who believe me you dont want to mess with.

All in All Australia is fairly cool place to be unless your an aslyum seeker that is. smile.gif

hope ive answered your questions feel free to ask more

Saalixa   

Darman, where and i say where on earth does your sister live??? having not seen a somali person for 8 months- Acudkee taas ilaahay nama badan. Sydney is a populated and dense city, somalis live mostely in metropolitan areas where the muslim community is the most like Bankstown Auburn and Lakemba(me hometown) which you won't for a second think you are in a western country.Melbourne is also packed and more packed 10 times as in sydney with somali it;s just that its becoming dangerous and many gangs are statring to become popular.

As my sister urban nomad already mentioned with the youths in Scools and unis all is well and lots of youngsters are getting involved in law/political areas.

the unemploymwent level is currently at 5.6% and that is not high if you'll compare it to other OECD countries.and most somalis any way get the doll, while they study and raise kids. What a relaxing flexible life huh? thats why we look twice as healthy and beautiful compared to other somalis in the US AND UK, now all you gotta worry about is paying your Duels -bills on time :D . But the standarad of living is high and things are hell expensive. well thats my Australia or version of Australia.

Take care mate.

Asalaamu'Calaykum,

G’Day!

Wow crikeys a whole posting just for us, lol. I think this is great, we can flush out all the aussies on this site :D .

Urban_Nomad I think you pretty much covered it. But I must say Somali’s only started to come down here after the civil war, so many of them are still settling in. We are not yet as developed as our fellow Somali’s in such countries as Canada and the UK. But I’m glad to say we are working our way up. We have many successful Somali’s blossoming every where.

Darman your sister needs to go out more, lol. I find it hard to believe she hasn't seen a Somali in 8 months. Although we have more here in Melbourne, we have quite a few in Sydney. Heck we have Somali’s in Tasmania!!! Not to mention I know a few Somali’s in Darwin. I tell you mate, we are every where.

Over all it’s the best place to live I reckon. Which is why Australia was voted the world’s most livable country :D . The people are friendly and the weather is beautiful mate.

We have definatly come along way. Rahiima remember when we were the only Somali’s on the block. Man those were the days. Carefree rollerblading and riding bikes with no one there to tell us eedo kadeeg gabaar baad tahaay ceeb!!

Wasalaam.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE…

Hello Aussies...

I wonder if you could perhaps help me? Could someone tell me about the Australian outback? Is it as harsh as I have been led to believe? Do cannibals inhabit the area? Is the soil really red? And would I need to hire a Crocodile Dundee look-alike for protection if I wanted to move there?

I'm asking all these questions because I'm thinking of moving to Aus. and setting up one of those horse-breeding ranches (or stations as u lot call em), for it is my dream to breed Arabian thoroughbreds for the international racing circuit, while living in an environment close to that of back home. I'A.

So any help would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Arwa   

loooool BARWAAQO

You wrote:

"I wonder if you could perhaps help me? Could someone tell me about the Australian outback? Is it as harsh as I have been led to believe? Do cannibals inhabit the area? Is the soil really red? And would I need to hire a Crocodile Dundee look-alike for protection if I wanted to move there?"

hehe, alla you guys are unbelievable wallahi... surviver intu inka yara batay... saad u dhaawanaysiin ayaad miil dharan ka dhacaysaan lol

Freaking hell, why would any sane somali wana go to the outback, heck we are afraid of dogs... ma xil ayaan ou haynaa crocadiles iyo cannibals? :D lol

laakin sis if your determined, am sure Intuition

can spot some nice places of the map for you and then tell you where you can hire your own Crocodile Dundee look-alike ;)

Just like Legend of Zu, am too lazy to answer all the questions asked by the original poster, laakin thanx to the others they helped answer it. smile.gif

As for Darmaan, am in shock wallahi lol..are you sure your sister lives in sydney? If so, we can help her see the light again if you wish! :D

BTW Barwaaqo, you sure you don't have other plans in OZ ;);)

I wonder whos also from Down Under?!

P'S Intuition

OI OI OI

44.gif

LoL @ Kynda!

I already told you why I wanna move to the outback, because I want to live a rough, wild life breeding horses like Sea-biscuit (fab film), while at the same time pretending to be back in Buuhoodle. Duh! :D

BTW Barwaaqo, you sure you don't have other plans in OZ

I wonder whos also from Down Under?!

What? where? who? What?

Erm...I dont know what u mean gurly wurly! redface.gifredface.gif

Aaah yeeee, a whole post for me mates down under!

I see so many white Aussies doing the travelling and working abroad thing that I wondered what they're leaving behind...

I'm surprised to hear there are Somalis in Perth. Don't know why..I'm also surprised to hear Urban_Nomad say Aussies are open minded. A white friend of mine lived there for almost a year and she thought they were narrow minded. Another friend told me about a black Caribbean guy who went out there, stuck to the usual tourist trail and had to face blatant racism...It put him off Australia although he said it was one of the most beautiful places he'd been to- and he'd been to a lot of places!

I'm tempted to see it but it's not exactly around the corner.

Thanks for the replies

P.S: u can study and take the dole? Are you talking higher education?

RaMpAgE   

G'day sheherazade. iam a nomad from perth australia.

well first of all ..australia is a great palce to live even tho the prime minister john coward is making it more and more like america :mad: , if u want too have a family or if ur a student its the place too be, but dull if ur a party type of person.

Where i live is called perth which has about 3500 somalis but soon it will be the second large capital for somalis after melbourne which has the most somalis living in it.

As far as iam concerned most somalis tend too be studying hard here, properly because theirs nothing else too do :D

So far i haven't encountered any racism from white australians but i did from aborginine australians, i think they feel treatend

by somalis and other africans, the relationships between the communities are at an all time low thanks too the over exageration of the media :mad:

The outback is lets just say not for soft hearted people alot of britz when too the outback most died of dyhedrations or corc attack ;)

all in all australia is niceee place

:D :cool:

Intel   

Well I’m 1 of the around 20,000 Somalis living in Melbourne, as a young lad growing up in New Zealand one of the very few things :D I liked about Oz was outback its sort of similar to back home, anyhow when we moved here few years ago I decided that i should take a trip to the Bush sometime when I finish school. So few mates and me went to Alice Springs during last year’s mid-semester break we drove from Melbourne to Alice it took us just about 8 days each way, the outback (Never Never) as the Aussies call it.. was beauty a bloody ripper, words cannot even describe things we saw and experienced on that 3 week trip. About half a day drive from Melbourne you’d think you’re in totally different planet, those reddish hills & rocks you’d think you’re on Mars.at times we drove for days without seeing any humans at all, nothing but just breathtaking scenery and heaps of wildlife such as wild camels, horses, buffalos, Dingos and millions of kangaroos daamn they’re everywhere…

Anywayz I’ll keep it short…. I urge y’all Aussie city slicker to get out there and see Australia.

not during the summer tho too hot and too many flies

As Ramp said the place is not for the kind hearted particularly the Poms its becoming a grave yard for britz I don’t know why that :confused:

So Barwaaqo sis it might be good idea to Re-evaluate your plans :D

And here are some images for THE OUTBACK

Its kind of similar to Buuhoodle innit

http://www.photo.net/philg/digiphotos/200007-kings-canyon/tree-and-mesa.half.jpg

http://www.ianhughes.goodison-park.org.uk/oz_photos/wild_camels.jpg

http://www.graphicscience.com.au/Images/Australia/Pic3.jpg

ALL IN ALL AUSTRALIA ROCK 4_1_7.gif

26_11_5.gif 26_11_7.gif 26_11_11.gif 26_11_4v.gif

Buubto   

Asalaamu Aleikum Wr Wb

I am noticing a lot of hidden nomads that r actually from oz. no need repetition, my fellow nomads said it all. I have lived here nearly a decade I haven’t seen any racism towards me except two incident shortly after September 11. Australia is multicultural country especially Melbourne (where most Somalis live), not to mention the Muslim community here is highly populated. (mansha Allah)

Employment, as long as u ambitious, determent, committed & open minded u will get a job. U chance of getting a job is very high if u r under 45 years.

Barwaaqo

Sweetie Australian outback is the territory of the indigenous people, until this time whites have given up to leave there (except a few, most of them go for a holiday. Only aboriginals can survive there. so as long as u prepared to deal with Australian wild animals, very hot wether & most of all a wild aboriginals (the most difficult human beings to deal with). I am happy to wlc u in the country.

Darman

R u sure ur sister is in sydney not in outback? :confused: yes there is small number of somalis in sydney, most of them r very occupied with their daily life. not like melbournians who r very socialable, but still i finded very hard to believe she hasn't seen any somalis in 8 month :eek: .

In general, a thumbs-up for Australia from the Somali Aussies..how many others can say that about where they live? Now, where's that Qantas Airways number..........