Sign in to follow this  
Holac

Are the coastal Bajunis descendants of Chinese sailors?

Maakhiri great that you want to participate and share your results. Curious to know whether you will beat me with 100% lol ?

One thing I want to mention about the 23andme is that it searched for how much of a Somali I am since they used Somali people as a reference it’s the reason I scored so high. It's great for anybody who wants to know wether they are an ethnic Somali. With Gedmatch which is free it doesn't use Somali people as a reference it goes beyond your Somaliness therefore you will get a detailed admixture of your DNA.

For the US only. You can get a free kit through The African Genetics project of 23andme. Make use of the good deal.

https://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/the-african-genetics-project/

Thanks Blue that is great.

I also think it would be great not test only living DNA, but have those people buried in SOMALIA, , those like 1000s years ago, if DNA is preserved, that way you map their movement. It is done a lot in Europe, from Vikings, to Neanderthals.

For security reasons, that is not possible in Somalia now.

galbeedi   

Thanks guys. It is really more educational, especially the results submitted by Blue, Che and others. The biggest surprise for me is the lack of middle Eastern connection. So far most of the results are unique East African, North African and others.

This DNA results might prove wrong the Somali legends of the Arab traders landing the Red Sea and intermarrying with local Bantu's , and in turn producing The unique Somali race. I don't know where to find , but a Somali historian wrote a book while ago claiming that the Somali ethnic group is alder than the so called Arab traders of yester years and pointing toward the Egyptian Pharaoh and North Africa.

It has always been the inclination of Somalis to attach themselves to Yemanis and Arabs probably because we share faith. While there is nothing wrong to be connected with different people and regions where you may share culture and faith and geography, the Somali nation, stretching from the northern Dire-Dawa Ethiopia to lake Turkana Kenys is not only huge but unique.

. If it does not involve any health insurance or other issues, as Miss Blue says, we may all do the teat and find out.

Galbeedi glad that my results were helpful and informative to you. Since you are a Canadian be cautious and choose wisely because Canada is the only country where it's legal for your genetic and health results to be used against you.

23andme:''Currently there are no protections for Canadians against discrimination based on their genetics - life insurance companies and employers may request an individual's genetic information or may ask whether an individual has had a genetic test.''

galbeedi   

Thank you. The good think is we have a well educated and connected group here in SOL. I did not even heard about these problems until you mentioned. I did google , and found out the risks.

"Canada is the only country in the G7 that does not have a law in place to protect people from discrimination based on their genetics. Considering that there are more than 33,485 genetic tests available, and counting, the lack of protection affects everyone. Medical science is unlocking a database of life-saving information, but Canadians face a major barrier to obtaining that information.".

I guess we have to wait until the law changes.

Results in!! haplogroup is match for E-V32

Percentage~~Overal

East Central Africa -70%

Eastern Middle East -20%

North Africa -10%

Uploaded to GEDmatch against PuntDNAL,

puntDNAL K12 Modern Admixture Proportions

Population <

Sub-Saharan 44.42%

Amerindian 0.10

South_Asian 2.32%

Near_East 24.54

Siberian 1.20

European_HG -

Caucasus_HG 2.30%

South_African_HG 7.13%

Anatolian_NF 16.88%

East_Asian 1.11

Oceanian -

Beringian -

anyway, I got many matches, two as second cousins!!!

Heey Maakhiri! Your results are different then mine they look similar to the results people get from Ancestry. I see you got no European instead you got Middle Eastern. Nooo way, how awesome you actually found second cousins that's very close. Did you contact them?

Not yet contacted, they may contact me,lol

anyway, I was not very surprised with the result, except this

Anatolian_NF 16.88%--This is Turkish!!!