Sign in to follow this  
Holac

Are the coastal Bajunis descendants of Chinese sailors?

It seems we are assembling mini sample of Somali genealogy?

Just to be sure, everyone who did or about to do this DNA analysis is an "ethnic" Somali.

It will be interesting to see how diverse is our genetic pool!

Blue, regarding the song, I thought the guy was saying al-Qaeda. Hehe.

I don't know whether Holac and Maakhiri are ethnic somalis. They can state that themselves.

Che we forgot the people who lived in our country like the Italians. There are Somalis that have great parents who are Italian. At one point it was also the official language. If there were more ethnicities you can let me know since you have better knowledge about the history then I do.

Looool that's what I heared too Al Qaeda the first time. Actually he's saying:''shocky shocky miss alkayida baby dance for me and dab" :D

Ps: Che I thought I mentioned this to you but I see I haven't. To get a more detailed break down of your DNA Ancestry results you have to copy your raw DNA and upload it on Gedmatch or Dna.land.

Haatu   

said:

Blue, I used ancestry.com. I know few other Somalis that did the test. The breakdown in terms of ethnic percentage was more or less similar. It is small sample, but I am beginning to believe are simple a mix of Bantu, North African and Middle Eastern.

Cabdalla Mansuur claimed just this in his book on Somali history. He is a believer of the Hamitic migration theory which states the hamitic peoples (cushtics, ancient egyptians, berbers) all initially migrated from Mesopatamia. At Egypt they divereged, a group settled (faraaciinta), a group went west (Berbers) and a group went further south and mixed with the local bantu population (Cushtics, ie. us). A few members of this site rejected that theory but every time I come across Somalis that have genetic testing I become more and more convinced of Cabdalla's viewpoint.

⬆️ That theory, A. Mansuur's, is very strong. I say that because sometime I was watching a program of a dude traveling through the area South of Egypt and North of Sudan, and I was amazed how these people structurally resemble Somalis,and not only that, but almost every other part of their culture is similar to our own. Heck, they even cook 'canjeero' exactly as we do, not the Ethiopian type.

So, that theory rhythms with me.

I remember of Cabdalla Mansuur's theory, it is a good theory, but believe more work is needed. How about if the migration is reversed, the Somali paintings show 8,000 years old civilisation!

There are number of ways you can tell where people came from, Etymology ,DNA, culture , and customs, archeleoglogy, religion etc.

For sure, our language is Cuthitic, but and how many other people got mixed in Somalis and adopted this language? how many people join the Somali race, from North Africa, Bantus, Malay, Middle East, Asia!

That is why I believe the more DNA samples , the better, and more archaeology work is needed.

On the Archeology side, there is very little work done, and surprising recent finding by Dr Sada Mire, found that most SOMALI burial sites , Ancient cairns in Northern Somalia show Christian Orthodox, and thus we must have had a more common religion with Ethiopia, before Islam came.

http://www.somaliheritage.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qa%E2%80%99ableh

I too have been in South India 12 years ago, and could not believe people how some of the people there resemble Somalis, to point I even greeted a guy in the streets in Somali, and there are lots of reports of migration between East Africa and Southern India.

Somali Identity have been hijacked, with fairy tale stories of being descended from ARAB Sheikhs, which is not uncommon for people thinking being Arab, is holier, will a better Muslim, or better people. The confusion increased with joining the Arab league. For example, Bizarre claims of being Hashemites by some Somali tribes is a myth, and can only be debunked with education, finding genuine Somali roots.

said:

As for the DNA, will they show health concerns? disease predisposition?

Thanks for the video and links.

Yes only if you chose the option ancestry + health. For Europe the only option is ancestry + health. For the US you can choose either ancestry alone or ancestry + health.

According to the website you can view over 100 health conditions and traits. They are broken down in 4 categories: inherited conditions, drug response, genetic risk factors and traits.

Check it out: https://www.23andme.com/en-eu/health/

Guys, where can I get Cabdallah Mansuur's book on Somali history? Is it in English or Somali?

Haatu   

said:

⬆️ That theory, A. Mansuur's, is very strong. I say that because sometime I was watching a program of a dude traveling through the area South of Egypt and North of Sudan, and I was amazed how these people structurally resemble Somalis,and not only that, but almost every other part of their culture is similar to our own. Heck, they even cook 'canjeero' exactly as we do, not the Ethiopian type.

So, that theory rhythms with me.

I came across a brother from Algeria (a lot of them are basically Arabized Berbers) and I was very surprised when I saw him cook canjeero, exactly the same way we make it. I asked about it and apparently they eat it in their country as a traditional dish. There is definitely something to this theory.

said:

Thanks for the video and links.

Yes only if you chose the option ancestry + health. For Europe the only option is ancestry + health. For the US you can choose either ancestry alone or ancestry + health.

According to the website you can view over 100 health conditions and traits. They are broken down in 4 categories: inherited conditions, drug response, genetic risk factors and traits.

Check it out:

Guys, where can I get Cabdallah Mansuur's book on Somali history? Is it in English or Somali?

I would not advise anyone to check for any genetic diseases they might have using these tests (unless they are advised by a health professional to do so as that's different). Some diseases have what is known as variable penetrance, which means even though you might have the genetic defect, you might not necessarily get the disease. Others (such as Huntington's disease), only manifest themselves in later life. So if you do carry such a genetic defect, do you want to waste the healthy remaining years of your life worrying about what the future holds? It's just not worth it as there's nothing that can be done anyway if it's found out you have a genetic mutation. It's best to not know, keep living your normal life and leave the future with Allah.

Blue, the book is in Af Soomaali and can be purchased here: http://www.loohpress.com/product_info.php/cPath/49_129_147/products_id/1907

And if they do not ship to outside of the UK, you can try Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taariikhda-Afka-iyo-Bulshada-Soomaaliyeed/dp/0993431321/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478390468&sr=8-1&keywords=cabdalla+cumar+mansuur

Haatu   

said:

I remember of Cabdalla Mansuur's theory, it is a good theory, but believe more work is needed. How about if the migration is reversed, the Somali paintings show 8,000 years old civilisation!

That might be true but the presence of the paintings only add strength to Cabdalla's theory. In the book he references research done by non-Somali academics which show that the origin of the cattle (cows i.e. the ones in the paintings, sheep and goats - camels came much later) used by the Somalis originate from Mesopotamia. So if you add the linguistic evidence, the genetic evidence, and the aforementioned point, you have a compelling case on your hands. If you haven't done so already, I would strongly advise you to read the book.

Tallaabo   

I am glad more and more people have now realised the absurdity of the Arab myth in Somali history. Over the last decade whenever I told the arabophile Somalis about the fairytale nature of our clan structure, no one believed a word of it. But hopefully, as more young people get educated, the clan myths will begin to unravel in the near future and all our problems will disappear with it :-D

Tallaabo   

Its reported we share some genes with the people of Europe's Balkan region!! No wonder the Serbians are as narrow minded and genocidal as we are :-D

said:

I would not advise anyone to check for any genetic diseases they might have using these tests (unless they are advised by a health professional to do so as that's different). Some diseases have what is known as variable penetrance, which means even though you might have the genetic defect, you might not necessarily get the disease. Others (such as Huntington's disease), only manifest themselves in later life. So if you do carry such a genetic defect, do you want to waste the healthy remaining years of your life worrying about what the future holds? It's just not worth it as there's nothing that can be done anyway if it's found out you have a genetic mutation. It's best to not know, keep living your normal life and leave the future with Allah.

Blue, the book is in Af Soomaali and can be purchased here:

And if they do not ship to outside of the UK, you can try Amazon:

About the DNA health I share the same thoughts as you. Just because you are a carrier of a certain disease/condition that doesn't mean you will get it. Maybe not everyone knows about this but I do. It's nice to know the things you're at risk for and be able to take preventive actions. I read that diet is the number one key that switches a gene on and makes a certain disease/condition active.

Genes can switch on and off depending on the conditions that present itself in the body. So when you are a carrier you have the gene but it's turned off that is until the right conditions present itself so it can be active which is always through bad diet. Which also means that an active gene can be turned off with the right conditions which is through a healthy diet. Inflammation caused by food is what opens the door to every disease/illness/condition especially chronic inflammation. Not many people know about this. Preventing is better then curing.

In the end it's Allah who decides whether you will get something or not. So therefore I wouldn't even stress about it.

I use Amazon UK so i'll try that link. Thanks for the links Haatu.

A lil update. Things are going fast.

Step 1: Register your kit - CHECK

Step 2: Successfully registered; track your kit to the lab - CHECK

Step 3: Sample received at the lab - CHECK

Step 4: DNA analysis - CHECK

Step 5: Computing

Step 6: Results ready

For everyone who's interested in the process once the sample reaches it's destination.

Miyir   

said:

That might be true but the presence of the paintings only add strength to Cabdalla's theory. In the book he references research done by non-Somali academics which show that the origin of the cattle (cows i.e. the ones in the paintings, sheep and goats - camels came much later) used by the Somalis originate

from Mesopotamia.

So if you add the linguistic evidence, the genetic evidence, and the aforementioned point, you have a compelling case on your hands. If you haven't done so already, I would strongly advise you to read the book.

Modern day Iran? when was the book written 80s? the opposite what we know now about the origins and genetics