Sign in to follow this  
Holac

Are the coastal Bajunis descendants of Chinese sailors?

What are the chances of finding your cousin in a room full of unknown people.

The shock of hearing you're not French at all.

Thinks he's full English.

100% African.

Most diverse DNA.

Blue, I used ancestry.com. I know few other Somalis that did the test. The breakdown in terms of ethnic percentage was more or less similar. It is small sample, but I am beginning to believe are simple a mix of Bantu, North African and Middle Eastern.

From what I know there are Somali bantus, Ethnic Somalis and White Somalis (reer xamar & barawani etc).

Based on those different groups you will get different DNA results also some of them intermarried each other. I believe there are people who will get a high percentage of ethnic Somali it's a numbers game. The more people who take the test the higher the chance of variations between people.

With that said I decided to take the test. I think I have a good chance of scoring high on ethnic Somali. According to my parents we are 100% Somali till many generations back with no bantu, arab or any other ethnicity. That is what they know.

Che I read that the results for Ancestry are not that accurate for East Africans. They don't represent Somalia on their map. Try 23andme heared that one is much better more accurate and they recognise East Africans and Somalia is on their map.

I will order my kit later on today from 23andme and will keep you posted about my results :)

why speculate on the only definable source of identity? our qabil system is pure and untainted. who'd want to be 16% Bantu? how do you even quantify that? a bantu nose or jareer nappy hair?

not entirely surprised at these sorts of identity markers when you have people saying they identify as non-binary which is not exclusively masculine or feminine‍ lol.

Blue, my family is originally from Hawd and Mudug, all entirely ethnic Somalis.

I think the question is who are the "ethnic Somalis" and how diverse is the genealogy.

I will try the other service and see the result.

said:

I think the question is who are the "ethnic Somalis" and how diverse is the genealogy.

I want to know that aswell.

Che & Holac I received my 23andme package today after 2 days. That's sooo fast considering they were shipping from North America to Holland. Anyways I sended the sample back this afternoon and now starts the waiting :)