Sign in to follow this  
Holac

Somali truck drivers refuse to use protection

Holac   

This is terrible.

When they were interviewed, some of the sex workers said that during the day they engage in businesses like retail shops, tailoring and house-keeping, while at night they sell sex. The women also said they can earn anything from 5,000 shillings to 100,000 shillings ($US 38) per night, depending on the client and whether or not they use a condom.

"Getting a client who pays 100,000 shillings is extremely rare and it is mostly Somalis who pay such huge amounts of money - insisting on no condom use," said Annet*, aged 35. "Due to poverty, I had been accepting such money but, with the increasing AIDS risk, I no longer accept it."

Eighteen year old Rhoda* said that one truck driver can visit around three sex workers in a night without using a condom. "Since we share our HIV status amongst ourselves, I no longer want to risk my life, so now I protect myself," she said.

Sarah,* aged 25, said she and her colleagues had been wondering why condoms tear during sex, since their clients put them on properly. After thorough investigations, they discovered these men put Vaseline on their penises before putting on the condoms, knowing well that during the act they would tear, so they could have unprotected sex.

However some of the truck drivers who visit female sex workers accused them of deliberately removing the condoms during sex, so they can be paid a higher fee.

Abdallah,* a Somali national who speaks with pride about visiting female sex workers, said he would never use a condom. "Where is the enjoyment if I use a condom?" he asks. "I have my money so I can pay for any charges. I am also assured of antiretroviral treatment if I get the virus."

Musisi,* who works with a local manufacturing company, said that it is the sex workers who determine whether condoms should be used or not. "If the sex worker uses a female condom I will pay 5,000 shillings. Without a condom, I will pay 10,000 shillings," he explained.

xabad   

somaali waa badow runti, the same reason they don't use contraception which even african pygmies have figured out.

we are somali, we are 100% muslims, bla bla

Coofle   

Somalis is in a state of Mass denial. You start preaching about AIDS and the ways to stop its transmission to he public, and community leaders (mainly religious and tribal) start frowning their faces. The fundamental truth is that people will commit Zina (wal ciyaadu bilaah) no matter what and where, what is important is to protect the innocent (partners, unborn children, blood transfusion donors, rape victims etc) even the person committing the zina could repent and should be given the chance to do so.

Somali truck drivers travel to countries with high HIV incidence and prevalence. countries like, Ethiopia and Kenya. many of them have unprotected coitus with sex workers (who might be HIV+) and come back to their unsuspecting (or suspecting) wives. Providing easy access to barriers and even contraception! is the responsibility of the community to stop this terrible disease.

Last time i checked a verifiable data about somalia/Somaliland it showed an incidence of 1.2% , I am sure the numbers are an underestimation as majority of cases are yet to be identified and others don't seek medical help. that was in 2006......any body what is the status now.

Barwaaqo   

Somalida waxa gabay aqoon yahankoodi, waxay ahayd in ay dadkooda wacyi galiyaan oo wadaadadda cilmi gaabka ah la doodaan. Bal waa taase aan aragno qof ka hadlaya ama dadka Ka wacyi galinaya ka hortaga wiilasha yaryar ee maalin walba dagaalka carabta ku dhimanaya iyo gabdhaha ay guurka khayaaliga ah ugu guurinayaan dagaalyahanadooda. Waxaan maqli jiray si walba maw jabay.

Adam   

<cite>
said:</cite>

somaali waa badow runti, the same reason they don't use contraception which even african pygmies have figured out.

we are somali, we are 100% muslims, bla bla

How can we be one hundred muslims when you among us angry atheist. anger eat your heart out. nacnacda sii badii. your only contribution to this site is hate for deen , stop think and grow up .

xabad   

<cite>

How can we be one hundred muslims when you among us angry atheist. anger eat your heart out. nacnacda sii badii. your only contribution to this site is hate for deen , stop think and grow up .

don't get angry adam. criticism is good, tough love is necessary. so don't take it personal.

gooni   

Darawaliintu mooska qolofta haku cuneen si aan cudurku usii faafin waa diin gaalo,muslinka wanaagsan ma ogola inuu qaado uu bakhti ku cunay saxan nadiifa oo gurigiisa dhex yaala kor saaro

Waxaa la yiri nin baa gabar gaari ku qaatay markaasuu meel laaba geeyay waxay ku tiri waa naloo jeedaa,

Hadana wuu sii fogeeyay meel kasii qarsoon meeshii hore, waxay tiri waa naloo jeedaa!

Wuxuu geeyay meel cidla’ah oon wax dhaqaaqo joogin waxay ku tiri waa naloo jeedaa!

Yaa noo jeeda see wax kaa yihiin ayuu weydiiyay? Waxay ku tiri ilaahay s/w baa noo jeeda oon waxba ka qarsoonayn.(MAASHAA ALLAH)

Shahwadda iimaankaa ka adag,muslinku bala bala ma leh awoowe gacaliye.

Condoms are for weaklings!

Indeed, what's the point?

It's like going for a swim whilst wearing a 3-piece Tuxedo with matching shoes!

Can I get an amen, Somalis :D

<cite>

Condoms are for weaklings!

Indeed, what's the point?

It's like going for a swim whilst wearing a 3-piece Tuxedo with matching shoes!

Can I get an amen, Somalis
:D

LOL :D

Talk about living their life on the edge! This is like playing Russian Roulette over and over again :D

<cite>

Would this thread have the same muted reaction if the topic was about Somali women paying for call boys?

Now that I think about it, it's these type of people who are responsible for the high HIV rates in Southern Africa. In some countries, the HIV rate is like 25% of all adults. (I know, it's disgusting)

Somalia has a relatively low rate of HIV, but it'll increase if men like these aren't stopped for this behavior.

Tallaabo   

They can't be stopped but they will probably all die of AIDS as they they are also too ignorant to seek the help of STI clinics. They will spread their germs only to their unsuspecting wives and other loose women.