Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Over 500,000 Somali refugees to be sent back to Somalia

Safferz;985336 wrote:
Is this not in violation of international human rights law? Were Somali refugees in Kenya consulted before drafting the agreement? What does "voluntary repatriation" even mean, and how will it be implemented? I'm interested to know what resettlement and reintegration plan will be in place to prevent the refugees in Kenya from becoming internally displaced people... I'm not sure whether the conditions in Somalia can even accommodate large scale returns.

I completely agree, Somalia is far from ready from accepting these refugees just yet. We've still got our own house to clean up first. We can't even keep Mogadishu peaceful let alone handle 500 000 internally displaced people.

they will be repatriated to where they originally come from, those who from al shabab controlled area won't repatriate first, but those who from mogadishu, kismayo SFG controlled places should be repatriated.

Tallaabo   

nuune;985320 wrote:
It starts with you, if you can accept that, then everyone can roam freely wherever they want regardless of what region, balse intaad sheegato Afro Hashimitte iyo East Timor iyo waxyaala kaloon la maqal ood dhahdo yaan la ii soo dhawaanin waan idin ka fadli badnahayee ha i taabanina Qaanfuurianskiina, wacdi anaga ha noo akhrin yaa
Xaaji Xeyraan
aadan ku dhaqmeyn.

This is a fantastic reply Mr nuune:D

Tallaabo   

nuune;985253 wrote:
These 500,000 Somalis are in their land, nothing to deport back, they are living in their own land as IDP.

Ps: In their own land as in NFD, the camps where the refugees live are Somali Lands, like Somaliland, Djibouti, Soimali Galbeed, these are lands that belong to Somalis.

In 1988 the refugees fleeing Siyaad Barre's murder squads would gladly disagree with you. Although those refugees fled the Somali Republic and headed into their own hawd territories, they were technically in Ethiopia. The thin invisible line that separated Ethiopia from the Somali Republic was precious. Back then the children, mothers, and the frail old people running for their dear lives would rather have that line of control between the two nations much closer to Hargeisa and Burco.

Tallaabo to think about that imagine if the Somali republic at that time had taken the entire Somali galbeed region, the Somali republic would be in charge of the Somali galbeed, than there was no where to flee to. Technically our people didn't make a difference to their Somaliland and that Ethiopias Hawd region, the Same way the Somalis in Somalia cant differentiate the Somali republic regions and the Kenyan regions north eastern provinces if you are fleeing you dont see borders.

nuune   

^^ Can you address my post, maxaad uga gabani, maxaadse noogu wacdini wax aadan adigu ku dhaqmeyn, sxbkey Xaaji Xeyraan, horta tubaakada ma cuntaa

Somalia can't handle 500,000 more people, I doubt it can accommodate 10% of that. The cost of repatriation will be huge, but i'm sure they will bus these people involuntarily and leave them to fend for themselves.

Tallaabo;985367 wrote:
In 1988 the refugees fleeing Siyaad Barre's murder squads would gladly disagree with you. .

What do those have to do with these. And it is not 1988.

nuune;985320 wrote:
It starts with you, if you can accept that, then everyone can roam freely wherever they want regardless of what region, balse intaad sheegato Afro Hashimitte iyo East Timor iyo waxyaala kaloon la maqal ood dhahdo yaan la ii soo dhawaanin waan idin ka fadli badnahayee ha i taabanina Qaanfuurianskiina, wacdi anaga ha noo akhrin yaa
Xaaji Xeyraan
aadan ku dhaqmeyn.

Nuunow sorry i didnt see ur comment don think i was not going to respond to your answer. But the thing here is why does it have to start with me isn't Somaliweyn bigger than the afro hashimites, why do they have to set an example, it has to start collectively or some one else need to break the barrier. By the way i never said yaan la iso dhawaan anigu in dadku isku so dhowado waan jecelahay balse duruufa diiday hadadan la joogo. Anigu ma xukumo kuwa hargeisa jooga marka wacidgu xaajigay ka timada eeh kama timaado qof kale

Safferz;985336 wrote:
Is this not in violation of international human rights law? Were Somali refugees in Kenya consulted before drafting the agreement? What does "voluntary repatriation" even mean, and how will it be implemented? I'm interested to know what resettlement and reintegration plan will be in place to prevent the refugees in Kenya from becoming internally displaced people... I'm not sure whether the conditions in Somalia can even accommodate large scale returns.

Human rights is irrelevant. Kenya has successfully coined this issue as a matter of "national security". coincidentally the most recent headlines read "Kenya IDS 2nd mall attacker as 'ex Somali refugee'. The fact of the matter is Kenyans do not want Somalis in their country. Raids in eastleigh has been occurring on a nightly basis. Many of those who have already returned left out of fear and insecurity. Under the Voluntary Repatriation: International Protection Handbook, established by UNHCR, this is not voluntary repatriation, nevertheless it is considered so. We are talking 300 people alone arrested in one night. It doesn't matter if you have paper work or not. Rumor has it cops pay a hefty fee to get stationed in eastleigh, as it is a very lucrative post. but that is besides the point. I take the escalation of these raids as a means of swaying Somalis towards this 'voluntary repatriation'.

The Somali high commission for refugees has been running for no more than 3 months... IDPS in Somalia are rampant. The Somali PM (or should I say former Somali PM), Saciid Shirdon is quoted saying “While we view our returning people as an asset,not a liability, the fact is that my government does not have the capacity to provide housing and other needs for such a large number of people.”

Though for the unemployed elite, this will create a vacuum of jobs for the technocrat. Perhaps you need to come to Africa saffy ;)

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;985487 wrote:
Human rights is irrelevant. Kenya has successfully coined this issue as a matter of "national security". coincidentally the most recent headlines read "Kenya IDS 2nd mall attacker as 'ex Somali refugee'. The fact of the matter is Kenyans do not want Somalis in their country. Raids in eastleigh has been occurring on a nightly basis. Many of those who have already returned left out of fear and insecurity. Under the Voluntary Repatriation: International Protection Handbook, established by UNHCR, this is not voluntary repatriation, nevertheless it is considered so. We are talking 300 people alone arrested in one night. It doesn't matter if you have paper work or not. Rumor has it cops pay a hefty fee to get stationed in eastleigh, as it is a very lucrative post. but that is besides the point. I take the escalation of these raids as a means of swaying Somalis towards this 'voluntary repatriation'.

The Somali high commission for refugees has been running for no more than 3 months... IDPS in Somalia are rampant. The Somali PM (or should I say former Somali PM), Saciid Shirdon is quoted saying “While we view our returning people as an asset,not a liability, the fact is that my government does not have the capacity to provide housing and other needs for such a large number of people.”

Though for the unemployed elite, this will create a vacuum of jobs for the technocrat.
Perhaps you need to come to Africa saffy
;)

Seems we've all now know what you're doing in Africa, huh SP :P Thanks for breaking it down... it's concerning and I'm interested to see how this all plays out.