Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Somalia's most ambitious politician

I have been long sold to this woman and her courage to make a difference where it matters the most. She may be too idealistic but she surely means good.

Even if she achieves Universal health care for just women that will be a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee progress. May allah help her with her efforts. Amin.

Blessed   

I don't think the basic education (and even health care) is ambitious, it's a right of all children and Maryan said at a recent event "Somali children need to be at school today, they can't wait for us to discuss the challenges'. Here is more on the education plan: http://www.unicef.org/somalia/SOM_resources_gotoschool.pdf - btw.. funding has always been available but the security situation in Central-Southern regions didn't allow for concentrated effort in rebuilding the state education system (must be said that there has been some private sector development- but doesn't meet the needs of the amjority). Anyway, if anyone is interested or know people who may be interested - SRFD is working closely with Maryam and there are volunteering opportunities.. http://www.srdf.org.uk/news/go2school-educating-for-resilience/

On a personal level, I find Maryan both ambitious on behalf of Somalis and genuine, M'A.

ElPunto   

Any government minister needs to know the limits of what he/she can achieve. She's doing a disservice by making this fantastical pronouncement. Somalia doesn't need people with their head in the clouds in positions of power.

Gabbal   

An amazing person the Minister is. She is the Somali public official I respect the most. If I am not being too idealistic, I would love to see her as the first female executive in Somali history.

xabad   

Doesn't auger well for the future eh punto, somalia in the future would be awash with such populist politicians promising government largesse for every one. fiscal calamity and economic collapse would not be far behind and then you have societal breakdown and war. so the cycle of anarchy repeats anew. lord help us.

Blessed   

SomaliPhilosopher;947224 wrote:
Blessed as an idealist I reluctantly nevertheless agree it is a right. Lakin to put a deadline one only 3 years a way makes me question a bit.

SP,

I don't know how the health sector works, but a 3 year plan to send 1 million children to school isn't far fetched. As I said, the biggest obstacle in Central-South was security - stable regions have been developing their local education for some time now. They have the funding, it's now a matter of building / rebuilding schools and finding teachers who can offer basic education - and bringing those community funded schools in stable regions under the MOE. I actually think, if things continue to go the way they have been in the past year and money is spent how it should be - they can actually exceed the 1 million mark. Other countries, ie.. Rwanda was able to increase enrollment and start looking beyond basic education within 5 years post war. My main concern is the lack of clear direction for post basic education...