Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

IMF recognizes Somalia government

Chimera   

Your comparing a rail-network of 1000 km with tiny statues and telephone lines? There is plenty of steel in a panamax port, there is plenty of construction material to be gained from a road. I'm sorry but I find this whole objection to a rail-network silly. Let's say the entire system was sold on the black-market (LOL), we would still have the specific routes and plans of the network. That means in peace-time we wouldn't have to spend millions on feasibility plans, nor evict people because they are living on the most cost-effective and efficient routes for a train-track.

Chimera   

SomaliPhilosopher;938247 wrote:
Port has been looted bro.

Looters will always go where there is instability and infrastructure. However are the ports not flourishing today? Imagine if we had not constructed and upgraded them pre-1990? We would have nothing today! The Kismayo port is the only one still derelict, but in year's time that one will be flourishing as well, despite the countless looters that violated that port's infrastructure in the last twenty years.

Anyways, have you heard of Thomas Sankara Chimera?

Who hasn't? The man was probably called a dreamer and a optimist too, until he turned the African development project sustained by the West on its head, and actually made progress. The rail-network he established is still benefiting Burkina Faso, it united the country.

Chimera;938251 wrote:
Who hasn't? The man was probably called a dreamer and a optimist too, until he turned the African development project sustained by the West on its head, and actually made progress. The rail-network he established is still benefiting Burkina Faso, it united the country.

Unfortunately, a lot of people haven't from what I noticed. Yes, I was going to mention his railroad initiative. Amazing really. Regular citizens building the railroad together piece by piece. The Kacaan era had a culture which probably allowed for a similar project, a domestically built railroad. Though this administration seems like it will be going through the traditional route of seeking external support.

Haatu   

Chimera, come on and be realistic. Those degenerates were stealing any bit of metal to sell off. Imagine if they had come across hundreds of miles of it lying on the ground?

Chimera, the part where Somali men established an effective telecommunications system is extremely irrelevant to the point. I never denied Somali ingenuity and entrepreneurship. Not once.

But this is Somalia....a country where a large percentage of the population is hungry. And people need to eat.

If that means destroying telephone systems to sell the copper wire, or burning down trees to make charcoal, or destroying railways to sell the steel and aluminum, or raiding the National Armory and selling the weapons on the Black Market, or printing out counterfeit Somali shillings and inflating the currency.... then so be it. (All of this actually happened in Somalia)

I'm not blaming them for doing it. After all, they need to survive. I love your optimism, and I sincerely believe that Somalia has better days ahead of it, but you really need to be more realistic

Chimera   

DoctorKenney;938302 wrote:
Chimera, the part where Somali men established an effective telecommunications system is
extremely irrelevant
to the point.

Which point? The one where you insinuated the only thing Somalis are capable of is "looting" by referencing a few dozen miles of telephone lines that were sold on the black market? My counter-point was extremely relevant, though you're too caught up with the example itself rather than what it conveys.

I never denied Somali ingenuity and entrepreneurship. Not once.

Nah, you only portrayed them as looters capable of selling off 1000 km of steel. LMAO

But this is Somalia....a country where a
large percentage
of the population is hungry. And people need to eat.

How utterly condescending.

If that means destroying telephone systems to sell the copper wire, or burning down trees to make charcoal, or destroying railways to sell the steel and aluminum, or raiding the National Armory and selling the weapons on the Black Market, or printing out counterfeit Somali shillings and inflating the currency.... then so be it. (All of this
actually happened
in Somalia)

And all of it by warlords and their lackeys, and pretty much exclusive to the capital and a few areas around it, yet you portray a country of 10/14 million people living in a country three times the size of Britain as looters.

I'm not blaming them for doing it. After all, they need to survive. I love your optimism, and I sincerely believe that Somalia has better days ahead of it, but you really need to be more realistic

Ah spare me the "be realistic" nonsense, I tolerated this knee-jerk reaction in the past, but not anymore. If you actually have a more coherent argument against the construction of a rail-network pre-1990s that is not based on the actions of a few degenerates, and one that does not generalize millions of people with same brush, i'd like to hear it.

Otherwise, no need to continue.

Xaaji Xunjuf;938032 wrote:
Eritreans are very organized people and their diaspora pay tax to their government in Asmara, i dont see Somalis doing that.

This is really simple to understand. Nothing can be done if the people are unorganized, lack direction to the future...

Chimera   

Haatu;938277 wrote:
Chimera, come on and be realistic. Those degenerates were stealing any bit of metal to sell off. Imagine if they had come across hundreds of miles of it lying on the ground?

I don't think you guys really comprehend the size of a 1000 km rail-network and how much steel is part of that actual system. There is no way, not even in two decades, that they can sell off that much steel on domestic markets, or even overseas, the suggestion that they can export 125000 tons of 6kg/m rail-tracks is hilarious to say the least. Thirdly the process of establishing a track is pain-stakingly difficult, and looting it would prove just as hard. Sure, they would get away with a few dozen kilometers of track in and around the capital, and I'm sure a few trains would suffer the same, but that's really it.

We would still have a system in place, with specific routes, with tunnels, with bridges, etc. A system we could reconstruct in a short amount of time, and expand.(I can't believe I'm defending a non-existant rail-network, smh)

LOL@I can't believe I'm defending a non-existant rail-network,

You should. What you are defending is not specific infrastructure per se --it is the vision of better Somalia, the hope , and what is possible in Somalia when peace returns . That is what you are defending Chimera. I envy your constant optimism , which I deeply share but I, at times, get disappointed by the lack of national priorities and how easily our national leaders can be distracted from the big picture ...

Chimera   

Well my optimism is justified, though I do not derive it from political leaders or power-blocks. There is a non-human spirit to Somalia, that some would like to deny or downplay, but it is there. In just one year many of my personal dreams have become a reality on the ground one after another. My motto in the bad times was; "our time will come", now I find myself frequently saying "our time has come".

Interesting years ahead, Xiin.

Chimera   

^^^

Cambuulo iyo bun;884489 wrote:
evry girl i try to talk to is dissing me
:(

wat should i do? Help needed!!!!!!

:(
:(:confused:

And now I know why......