Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Valentines day in Mogadishu

Aaliyyah   

SomaliPhilosopher;918388 wrote:
Warkaas naga daa kow dheh. You could have been my date :cool: . Back to the main point Im sure you left the country early enough to not fully realize the Somali culture. Heck Im handicapped in that regard. I suggest you take a pause on the Quran and pick up a Somali history book because the 'way' we lived prior to the civil war was one of civility and unique culture. Do consider this 'way' you. promote has been birthed during an era of war and war has been in many ways birthed by it, most specially the later phase of the civil war.

Hada you are a guy, I always thought you were a girl haha. Anyhow, our culture has so much to offer and is beautiful in many aspects. No one is denying that, I actually consider myself very much cultured. I am rather referring to that aspect of our culture that contradicts with our sacred diin.As for taking pause from the Koran, there is a hadith where Aisha radiyalaahu canha was asked how was the character of the Prophet. She replied "khulquhu kaana alquran" which means his character was the Koran. Now, why would I then take a pause from the holly Koran?..My diin and culture aren't exclusive, they complement one another.

Aaliyyah;918406 wrote:
Hada you are a guy, I always thought you were a girl haha. Anyhow, our culture has so much to offer and is beautiful in many aspects. No one is denying that, I actually consider myself very much cultured. I am rather referring to that aspect of our culture that contradicts with our sacred diin.As for taking pause from the Koran, there is a hadith where Aisha radiyalaahu canha was asked how was the character of the Prophet. She replied "khulquhu kaana alquran" which means his character was the Koran. Now, why would I then take a pause from the holly Koran?..My diin and culture aren't exclusive, they complement one another.

Yes I am as as the art of philosophy has a great prejudice against the female gender, which I try to make up for through my feminine characteristics of gentleness and smooth skin LOOOOOOOL. When we look at the evolution of our culture and see diraacas being replaced by veils that cover everything except for the naked eyes for example, it is evident that the diin and culture do not complement each other at least in the context of Somalia. Instead one tends to conquer the other leaving little room for the other to breath. Apophis and I anticipate and look forward to the the rise and conquer of the former, our dhaqan, while you look forward to the final few days of the Arab conquest. Perhaps Frantz Fanon's Black Skin White Mask should be written as Black skin Brown Mask as it is more relevant to the times.

Aaliyyah   

Dhaqankeenu waxyaabo badan uu ku fiicanyahay waa jira oo diinta ogoshahay. Laakin dhaqanki gabadh dirac khafiifa iyo afro hair melaha la wareegasa ilahii soomalia somalida jogta garadsiiyey in ay qalad tahay ayaa mahad leh. Wax lugu noqtana ma aha..kii ka hela hablo diinta raceen kuwa inta ka daran qurbo waa jogaan. Marka qurbihina iska jooga. Problem solved.

Me, or 'us' stay in qurbaha. You do realize that this discussion began over your disagreement with what is going on in Xamar .It is you that should consider staying oversees somaha? Perhaps somewhere in the middle east. UAE perhaps, a good foundation of islamic culture but just the right amount of western culture you won't even realize it!

But on the real, we are all welcome to Somalia. It is our country after all. No one can deny that right.

Apophis;918382 wrote:
Scared is the right word. You see, your type (hardcore religionists) have been in ascent since the fall of the republic (the last 20 odd years) but now , like all good things, your ascent is turning into a descent (the shabab lunacy really hit you hard and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future especially within the republic) and thus your ideologIcal hold on the society will wane. In sum, Somalia has started to liberalise and will far exceed, in my opinion, what we saw under the Kacaan government. Yeah, you will be a minority just like me.
:)

Apophis, I do agree the Somalis particularly will liberalize to noticeable effects. After all much of the change to conservatism in Somalia was circumstantial- largely the al-shabaab factor, getting close to god in bad times, lack of formal education with strong duugsi, and a wide array of other factors. Though from my encounters there has been a wave of conservatism from the diaspora side that to the likes of Aaliyyah, no offense just making observation, where these ties seem less circumstance based. The same riders of this wave have spent much of their lives abroad and have a great disconnect from the Somali culture outside the realm of Islam. These riders will come to Somalia and will propagate their ways. Some already have such as the diaspora Al-shabaab recruits. Obviously not all are extreme to that regard, but they do fall on the same spectrum. There will certainly will be clash to some degree. I do wonder how it will play out.

Odey   

I visited both Saxafi and City Plaza Last night to see what the hype was all about and was quite disappointed. Don't get me wrong, plenty of talent etc, but the whole thing was so alien to our people that it was a fake copy at that!. I didn't like the whole thing one bit. It is ok in the western world as I remember it(feels likes a long time), but out here what we need is not to copy other societies, in fact we should be focused on "Somali" themes and celebrations. I would have loved to see some Somali traditional dances being played everywhere.

I was in Addis just two weeks ago and saw first hand how those people hold on to their culture and values. In Fact the socialites their always have a blend of Tradition with everything they do and no party is complete without it having a majority of Habasha dances. I was kind of jelous of their respect for their culture! I was saddened by the displays I saw in Xamar last night and left ten minutes later.

Tallaabo   

Alpha Blondy;918415 wrote:
eerday is Cilmi Boodhari day!
ya dig Tal?

i would love to play C.B in the official movie.

I did not get it yaa Alpha. Which day is it?

Gabdhayahow Sidee waaye?

Ilbaxnimadu saas maaha

Sinta iyo lafaa duudka, saddex goor jejebi maaha :D

Dhaqankaaga saydh maaha

Soomaali diid maaha

Sidaad doonto yeel maaha

Qof silloon ku dayi maaha

-Hadraawi (not paraphrased, but shortened to my favourite verse)

Blessed   

Garashadu Sayidow ruuxa

Sed u gaara weyaane

Haduu samigaas yeeshay

Qurux male saluugeedu

Dadku siiga diid maaha

Sogob iyo ri'wayn maaha

Sumal iyo laxdiis maaha

Falka iyo sugnantiis mahaa

....Wuxuu soofka xoolaaba

Kaga soocan yahay weeye.

Hadrawi - not paraphrased but selected for purpose lol

Aaliyyah   

SomaliPhilosopher;918457 wrote:
Me, or 'us' stay in qurbaha. You do realize that this discussion began over your disagreement with what is going on in Xamar .It is you that should consider staying oversees somaha? Perhaps somewhere in the middle east. UAE perhaps, a good foundation of islamic culture but just the right amount of western culture you won't even realize it!

But on the real, we are all welcome to Somalia. It is our country after all. No one can deny that right.

Lol I am full aware of how the discussion started. But you and your athiest friend are daydreaming of the days Somlis didn't practice their diin.Those days are long gone inamo. Ilaahayna baa mahad leh.

Of course Somalia is our country and we should all go back. I simply meant you two might prefer to stay here madaama diinteena wacan aad rabin in ay umada soomaliyeed ku dhaqanto.