Sign in to follow this  
oba hiloowlow

Somali women then and somali women today

Oz   

oba hiloowlow;917040 wrote:
Malika I got respect for you adiga dartaa aan uu amuusaya

Oba, you woke LayzieG from her long long sleep sxb, you must have said something un-islamic. :D

NGONGE   

On a serious note; this is not only really about Somali women tody and yesterday, this is about MUSLIM women today and yesterday. The hijab and jilbaab you see in downtown Xamar today is the same one you can see in Kuwait city, Cairo and Kuala Lumpur. Yesterday, all these places also had women wearing short skirts and with their hair out.

It all seems cyclical to me. In Harun Al Rashid's days they had music, art and even a tale or two about the joys of drinking. Yet, the Khulafa that followed him (three generations later) adjusted some of the Shica tendencies of him and his sons and went back to traditional sunni customs. It later changed with other Khulfaa down the lines and has been changing ever since. Or, as Oba would say: Saca bi saca.

A_Khadar   
Che yeah and Aaliyya' date=' afar jeeble I think started out as those safari suits, short sleeve jackets with four pockets[/QUOTE'] I agree with you man, those suites are uncool, but I understand the reason for the short sleeves, hot weather..

BTW, this topic has gone a wrong way. Many commentators have faulted to the region calling as its ME culture and other bad connetations to the Hijab.. War ha la toobad keeno, hana la is cafiyo.

Rahima   

raula;917710 wrote:
waves @ OZ & Rahima (good to see ya..its been long time-hope all is well down under
:D
).

Waves back, thanks raula. I've had internet connection problems for a while but all is good now,lol. How have you been? I'm starting to see that a lot has changed on SOL.

NGONGE;917678 wrote:
On a serious note; this is not only really about Somali women tody and yesterday, this is about MUSLIM women today and yesterday. The hijab and jilbaab you see in downtown Xamar today is the same one you can see in Kuwait city, Cairo and Kuala Lumpur. Yesterday, all these places also had women wearing short skirts and with their hair out.

It all seems cyclical to me. In Harun Al Rashid's days they had music, art and even a tale or two about the joys of drinking. Yet, the Khulafa that followed him (three generations later) adjusted some of the Shica tendencies of him and his sons and went back to traditional sunni customs. It later changed with other Khulfaa down the lines and has been changing ever since. Or, as Oba would say: Saca bi saca.

NG whats saca bi saca ninyaho speak somali or english