Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

U.S. to recognize Somali government, opening door to new aid

The glaring weakness in Hassan's administration is how narrowly based the decision-making process is. Apparently, Hassan doesn't leave any decision to his Prime Minister or Foreign MInister. The fact that he personally meets every foreign delegation at the Mogadishu airport as well as fly to Washington for the exchange of diplomatic portfolios telegraphs this deficiency. Key positions are staffed by relatives (by marriage) and trusted long-term friends.

Don't celebrate too early, friends, the dual-track policy is in full effect. Hassan's portfolio is still limited to the 'South-West' as far as the international community is concerned.

Jacpher   

Che - on the diaspora, the president spoke to you and us all. Come back to rebuild the country, don't expect to build itself so you can go back :D

Abwaan   

Oodka It was always obvious that Hargeysa would remain part of Somalia. I am glad that you finally see the reality, however hard it is to you. Let us move on, celebrate together and rebuild Somalia. This is a victory for All Somalis.

Abwaan   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;909116 wrote:
Mooryåån tuuto loo giliye with no asluub iyo dhaqan ciidan midkoodba leh ayaa Xamar dhooban. Dowladnimo B iyo T midkoodna kama yaqaanaan. They are far, far from being professional ciidan dad ah. Cunaqabateynta hubka ah waa inay saarnaataa Soomaaliya intee kuwaas jidadka Soomaaliya iska soc socdaan.

MMA waa sax in M00ryaan ay ku jirto ciidanka, laakiin ma ahan kulligood, annaga lafteennu seefta yaanan galka kala bixin. Dowladda iyadaa looga fadhiyaa sidii ciidan wanaagsan ay u dhisi lahayd si looga qaado cunaqabataynta.

How quick some are to claim final victory! Our criticism is based on an anemic foreign policy not on faltering hopes. If you read the statement by Assistant Secretary Carson, his comments and hopes on Somalia's security and stability rests exclusively on AMISOM. Absolutely no mention of Somali governmental ownership. He states:

We believe that over the last four years, our policies in Somalia and in the region have made a significant difference in strengthening stability in Mogadishu and in helping to get rid of the key members of the East Africa al-Qaida cell as well as breaking the back of al-Shabaab. We have done this largely with and through and alongside of our African partners in AMISOM. This has been a major, major success.

We are a long way from where we were on October 3, 1993, when Blackhawk Down occurred in Mogadishu. Significant progress has been made in stabilizing the country, in helping to break up and defeat al-Shabaab. Much more needs to be done, but we think enormous progress has been made, and we have been at the very center of this in our support for AMISOM. I’d be glad to go into more details on this, but Hassan Sheikh will, through this recognition, be able to establish new relationships not only with USAID and the various development partners in the U.S. Government, but will also open up opportunities for his government to receive assistance from the international financial communities.

If one cannot read between the lines through this, I'll enlighten - 'the Arms Embargo will continue!'

Miyir   

the opportunities for Somalia was out there all the time but Qoslaaye and his entourage can they take full advantage to rebuild all Somalia? I will say unlikely for now when you observe he and his entourage decisive policies.

Mintid....regardless, this was big one for Xamar. Even Cameron has undermined Sland by saying the May conference will hosted by British and Somalí governments.

Oodweyne...I agree with you on the talks n for different reason of course.

Jacpher   

^I watched some of that live conference today and he comes across as an honest, sincere politician which is a rare for a Somali leader. That may be his weakness but from I've heard from him today, he seems genuine and his heart to fix the country.

Abwaan;909262 wrote:
Oodka It was always obvious that Hargeysa would remain part of Somalia. I am glad that you finally see the reality, however hard it is to you. Let us move on, celebrate together and rebuild Somalia. This is a victory for All Somalis.

I dont think so but one can always wish:D

Marksman   

The Center for Strategic & International Studies (CSIS) Africa Program hosted a Statesmen's Forum with the President of the Federal Republic of Somalia Hassan Sheikh Mahamud to discuss the future of governance in Somalia. I thought this was pretty interesting. If you find some time, you should watch it. People ask questions from around 28:05 onwards.

318628_highlight_en_US_wide,290x166,r:13

Link

If you have missed the joint press availability of Hillary Clinton with the president of Somalia click on the link below.

Link

Mintid Farayar;909257 wrote:
The glaring weakness in Hassan's administration is how narrowly based the decision-making process is. Apparently, Hassan doesn't leave any decision to his Prime Minister or Foreign MInister. The fact that he personally meets every foreign delegation at the Mogadishu airport as well as fly to Washington for the exchange of diplomatic portfolios telegraphs this deficiency. Key positions are staffed by relatives (by marriage) and trusted long-term friends.

Don't celebrate too early, friends, the dual-track policy is in full effect. Hassan's portfolio is still limited to the 'South-West' as far as the international community is concerned.

Hillary Clinton was asked if the Americans will still use the dual track policy for Somalia but she didn't really answer the question she concluded that the new government will make the decisions for Somalia. She also noted that America will continue to assist the new government but she never said the dual track is off the table.

^If dual track stays intact, it's very clear who will have the advantage. In any case, this is too early but my hope is the President capitalizes on this and create momentum and appreciate the complexity of the situation at the home.

Oodweyne...For my part, I thought Somalia was negotiating from weak position.

Jacpher.....That's his strength. We shall see but Somalia needs a strong man with no ideas.

lol@picture. Sharif would envy that.

hillary_hassan_1.jpg

Oodweyne....That's the likely scenario.

Ngonge's Imam is curiously silent granted he has other things on his plate. Ethiopia seems less quieter as well.