Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Arabic readers: The History of Slavery in Saudi Arabia

Wadani   

somalee;908963 wrote:
Lol, that roughly translates to 'laangaabnimo'. You are aware that within the duriyada itself there are 'minors'. That, for the future of your children, may mean that they belong to a smaller sub-group within the duriyada
:D

But i'm a sand-dweller, how is it possible that i'm a laangaab? I need to have a meeting with the Suldaan of my clan for answers. :D

Johnny B   

Wadani;908964 wrote:
U calling me a clannist? :eek:

The alternative would be going against NGONGE's nowadays Axiomatic statement. namely, "Clan is everything", so yes, i'm calling you a "clannist".:cool:

Wadani   

What makes u say that? That sorta hurts my feelings, seeing that I like to think of myself as a transcendent Somali, above petty clannism.

Blessed   

NGONGE;908856 wrote:
Alpha, it’s a comprehensive research on the attempts to outlaw slavery in Saudi Arabia from 1855 to 1962 (when it was finally abolished).

Slavery was abolished in KSA? Bah!

Marksman   

A white convert went to Mecca with his Somali wife. An Arab woman asked the white convert why he took his slave with him.

I'm not making this up. The psyche of the Arab will always shock you.

NGONGE   

^^ An Arab woman in Mecca spoke to a man? Err, you ARE making it up! :D

*Blessed;909063 wrote:
Slavery was abolished in KSA? Bah!

You can nitpick, ayeeyo, but by the law of that land slavery is illegal. Do not mistake mistreatement and cruelty (which are both awful awful things) to the open and accepted practice of one person OWNING another. Such a thing, as far as I am aware, does not exist in Saudi Arabia today.

Coofle   

For a fact Somalis were slave traders and it was not only confined to the Jesus clan.

Slavery was normal at some point in human history and as a part of the global intellectual evolution it was abolished. Every nation were subjects of slavery, even green eyed blonde Caucasians were a valuable slave commodities in the slave markets of Damascus.

Even Arabs, including quraish were enslaved....

I am sure that many of our debasing practices today will be abolished in the future by our posterity and looked upon and they will despise us for that ,,,for instance the unjustified discrimination and hatred of Beelaha la hayb sooco.....our insincere support to end discrimination will be replaced by sincere support and our silly excuses will not be accepted by the next generation...

another example,,Female genital mutilation was and still an important practice to purify a young female in the mindset of a somali senior citizen, but our generation oppose such barbaric act (albiet you can find some ignorant Jahils here and there who says waa dhaqan "well, it was dhaqan not to to have underwear and I don't see you bilaa nigis",,hypocrites )

My point is....Every practice is accepted and correct at its point of time...

so stop bashing on ARabs...

I

xabad   

Anyone interested should read: The Slave Trade Today', Sean O'Callaghan. Here is an excerpt. I was awakened by shouts and screams coming from the courtyard. Rushing to the window I looked down to see a dozen slaves being herded through a door at the far end of the yard. They were being driven in like cattle by three hefty guards armed with long lashed whips. Even as I watched, one of the poor wretches, a Sudanese girl with huge breasts, received a savage lash across her naked buttocks let out a shriek of agony'

'As the next slave was led in, a murmur of excitement went up among the buyers and they crowded closer around the rostrum. He was a slender boy of about 12 years old with beautiful classical Arab features. Although much has been written about Arab brotherhood and solidarity, I knew that the Arab has no compunction in enslaving his fellows should they fall into his hands.

The boy was naked and tried to cover his privates with his little hands and he ran up the steps of the rostrum......there is an age old saying among the Bedouin: "A goat for use, a girl for enjoyment, but a boy for ecstasy". He (the now purchased slave boy) was claimed by a tall bearded Arab who led him from the rostrum with an arm around his waist"..

Blessed   

NG, actually the law doesn't do much to protect the human dignity of domestic servants and much of the abuse is as a result of the manner in which hiring a domestic help is handled. The level of power an employer has over their employee is not comparable to other nations. A jaariyad in Burco has more rights .

blessed,

modern day slavery miyaa?

the power dynamics are always skewed in favour of the employer. i'm on 7th maid now. i never once asked something difficult of them and yet if they're not wiped and remained of your power and their place in the wider schemes of things, they'll continue to neglect their duties. of course, i didn't dare do such things but i did raise my voice a few times and they shouted back and i voluntarily fell back into my place. at first, i liked the power of managing another human being but it wore off after a while. and yet, a maid will chose me over another woman. women and power are a deadly potent mixture of abuse. women often demonstrate power to its fullest. even, pharaoh's wife exercised her powers against Nabi Yusuf (s.a.w).

Blessed   

Alpha Blondy;909965 wrote:
blessed,

i didn't dare do such things but i did raise my voice a few times and they shouted back and i voluntarily fell back into my place. .

LoL.

NGONGE   

*Blessed;909962 wrote:
NG, actually the law doesn't do much to protect the human dignity of domestic servants and much of the abuse is as a result of the manner in which hiring a domestic help is handled. The level of power an employer has over their employee is not comparable to other nations. A jaariyad in Burco has more rights .

I don't disagree with you there, ayeeyo and I have seen most of this stuff first hand. However, this a story for another time and bringing it here makes it sound as if slavery and the treatment of maids is one and the same. It is NOT.

Maaddeey, you are talking about exceptions to the rule saaxib.