Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Arabic readers: The History of Slavery in Saudi Arabia

NGONGE   

وكانت آلية تهريب العبيد الاثيوبيين تجري كالتالي:

يُخطَف العبيد الاثيوبيون وخاصة البنات الصغار من انحاء أديس أبابا الغربية: من جماعات كافا وولغا وبني شنقول (وهؤلاء مقرّهم غرب اثيوبيا وهي منطقة تتبع شيخ الخوجلي الذي كان يفرض رسوم ضريبية على تجار العبيد فيها) – وكلهم من اصول عرقية زنجية يُسَمون باللغة الأمهرية بجماعة الشنقيلة – وهم ليسوا حاميين مثل جماعات الجلاس، فالجالاس والأمهريين هم من يخطف العبيد الزنوج ويتاجر بهم – ثم يعبر العبيد المخطوفون في مسارات سريّة الى شمال اديس أبابا حيث اسواق العبيد في باتيس وداوا (مناطق تابعة للعيسى) ومنها يساقون الى تاجورة من خلال التُجار الدانقلة.

في تاجورة يجري تنظيم العبيد في جبل الغواد – ويفرض عليهم سلطان راهيتا
ضرائب تجبى عبر شيوخ قبيلة العيسى الصومالية
.. ثم يباع العبيد الى التجار العرب في جيبوتي مقابل 160 دولار للرأس. ثم لا يبعثون من موانئ تاجورة الرئيسية مباشرة توجساً من الرقابة البحرية، فيرحلون بدلا من ذلك الى رأس دمار حيث يفرض سلطانها المحلي ضريبة اضافية عليهم. وحينما تهب الرياح الجنوبية على البحر الأحمر بين شهري نوفمبر ومارس، تنشط السنابيك وترفد سواحل جيبوتي موانئ الجزيرة العربية بأسراب العبيد والجواري صغيرات السن

وفي رسالة من اسماعيل افندي حول العبيد في التاسع من مارس 1933م من مقتنيات الخارجية البريطانية، عدّد اسماء كبار وكلاء العبيد في جدة، مزودة بهويّاتهم الجهوية:

“كبار وكلاء العبيد في جدة: حسن العمودي (حضرمي) وأحمد بن سيف (من بدو الحجاز)
وشمعون بن عمر (صومالي/ايطالي)
واحمد الحنبولي (جدّاوي) وأبو زيدان (جّداوي) والليّاتي (جدّاوي)”. [86]

d8aad8b9d984d98ad985d8a7d8aa.png

More here:

http://mahsabbagh.net/2012/09/07/slavery-in-hejaz/

arabs are the worst type of colonisers. they eat away at your brain.

these arabised slaves can't even count up to their 5th grandfather and they have the nerve to bother you at Dubai airport.

uskag fooqal uskag.

the writing above resembles bird droppings. i couldn't care less what it means nor do i need to know what it means. the history of the arab coloniser is well known. they make the white american coloniser look like a poodle.

NGONGE;908843 wrote:
^^ It's an interesting topic that is being spoilt by Alpha.

NG,

i didnt mean to spoil your topic inaadeero.

why are you posting this in arabic and excluding those of us who've memorised the quran via cassettes. you wouldnt like it, if i posted, in french. now? you needn't because this type of snobbery is common among the golden generation of ciyaal carabs. well, you guys don't hold the cards anymore. arabised somalis don't even count as diaspora anymore.

somalee   

I'm really interested in this issue in general. The condoning of slavery in Islam is beyond my comprehension and logic. Maybe it's one of the deep wisdoms of Allah and a mere human like I can't grasp...it feels just wrong to enslave a fellow human whether he/she is a POW or not. Even more gross is the condoning of sex slaves. I'm muslim but some things are just too much for moi

NGONGE   

Alpha, it’s a comprehensive research on the attempts to outlaw slavery in Saudi Arabia from 1855 to 1962 (when it was finally abolished). It describes events, occurrences and commentary by Arab intellectuals, Western commentators and British officers of the time. It also has accounts from some slaves, stories of abducted or freed slaves and descriptions of the slave markets of Mecca & Jeddah. There are historical documents (like the ones I posted above) and even some pictures.

It seems that the Jesus clan of Djibouti played a major part in the capture, transport and selling of Ethiopian slaves to the Arabs of Hejaz.

d8b9d8a8d98ad8af-d981d98a-d8a7d984d8b3d9

nuune   

^^ Comes the question why we blame the Arabs then when in fact it was the Jesuites and Ibnu Batuta who were selling to the Arabs.

Alpha, you need real Seerah, not from what you heard of a dodgy Sheikh at Whitechapel

Ps: I can recognize some faces in that picture yaa Ngonge

NGONGE;908856 wrote:
Alpha, it’s a comprehensive research on the attempts to outlaw slavery in Saudi Arabia from 1855 to 1962 (when it was finally abolished). It describes events, occurrences and commentary by Arab intellectuals, Western commentators and British officers of the time. It also has accounts from some slaves, stories of abducted or freed slaves and descriptions of the slave markets of Mecca & Jeddah. There are historical documents (like the ones I posted above) and even some pictures.

It seems that the Jesus clan of Djibouti played a major part in the capture, transport and selling of Ethiopian slaves to the Arabs of Hejaz.

d8b9d8a8d98ad8af-d981d98a-d8a7d984d8b3d9

OMG,

how dreadful the plight of those slaves must have been. i would personally like to extend my warmest heartfelt congratulations to arab abolitionist. damn those Jesuit! how can they have played a role in the human trafficking of those times. i must at once, make a Pilgrimage to these sites of significant personal tragedies .

thanks NG. i appreciate your translation of the key documents.

NGONGE   

oba hiloowlow;908865 wrote:
lol i know some somalis who brags about somalis selling slaves yacni somalis were 'nasab'

This "nasab" obsession played a huge part back then. Or else, why would the Arabs buy a dark Sudanese man from another DARK Sudanese man or an Ethiopian from a Somali?

In addition, the slavery was not limited to black people. There were also slaves from Iran, Syria, Indonesia and other parts of Asia. Furthermore, there was some occassions where a slave was freed becuase he/she proved their "nasab". So, although the bragging is pointless today, there is an element of truth to the nasab argument.