Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Here in the Qurboland, we are struggling...

Baashi   

We're really struggling here in Qurbo. I don't remember praying all of five prayers on time since I came back to the states. We don't have space to pray at work and no provision for wadhu. I am in new office and we just had a meeting few weeks back. We were about 18 and as a new guy I asked them to talk to the management in providing a room for prayer. They said they tried that for no avail.

Baashi   

Lucky you Che. In my case the office is an skyscraper with about 21 stories and the restrooms are always occupied. The other thing is there is a corporate announcement via email every week emphasizing safety and giving out tips (and low and behold there is pointers for keeping restrooms, water cooler and coffee areas tidy and dry). That's reasonable and the right way to go about these things. The thing is the absence of provision of wadhu has its setbacks. That said, tere is always a way to carry out your duties if you are diligent enough. It just goes without saying these little issues present difficulties with practicing Muslims.

^Do you employee associations be along religious or ethnic lines? when I was in the financial sector, the big corporations had associations that would push for employee friendly privileges, including prayer rooms. Of course, this was the boom years when the employers had more resources and were flexible. With wadhu, the feet is obvious trouble.

What bothered me most, is I used to miss Friday prayers. I find out that there is church that Muslims pray on Fridays and Muslim students at my Alma mater have their congregation. The school has prayer and wadhu corner, thanks to rich Arab alumni.

Narniah   

That's only permitted if the person made fajr wudu then put on the socks (in a state of purity) in this case one doesn't have to repeat the wudu for the feet when dhuhr or any other prayer's wudu is being performed. You can wipe over your socks but they must be clean.

N.O.R.F   

Bashi, its difficult in the west. Make wudhuu at home then this makes it easier when making wudhuu at work as you only need to wipe over the top of your socks once (with left hand - right sock then left). Wear shoes with no laces and try to be quick. This means enterting the rest room 100% ready. Sleaves rolled up, watch off, spectacles off for a speedy wudhuu using little water. If there is a mop in the restroom then fine.

Try it once and see how it goes. You will need to 'manage' it. One wudhuu a day at work can be done easily. Try making wudhuu before the restrooms become busy. Before lunch etc.

Good luck.

Aaliyyah   

walaal are you allowed to pray in the hall way?? I remember in my old work I used to pray in the hall ways and the managers were never too happy lol. And they didn't provide from me a place to pray even though I asked couple of times. At the end I left it...But, it wasn't a great job or anything just a random job. If you have a good job and have a family to support I CAN understand that it is harder to walk away from that since you have a responsibility.

Inshallah try to make Wudu at home and pray at your office if you have one (the prayer is only few minutes) I hope that works out for you. And also know if you leave somewhere although I am not here saying you should but whatever you leave for Allah's sake he will replace it for you with something better (see if you can look for another job even while you are still holding to this job cuz salaadu wa waxa ugu horeeya ee akhiro la is weydiinayo hadith dhana wuxu yidhi hadii salaadaadu wacantahay waxkasta camaladaada way hagaagaan haday saladu ka qaldantana ama aad ka tagtid dee aduunka wax kastana way kugu adkaan akhiroba ka sokow)..

That's my two cents.

Blessed   

Work isn"t an issue for me but it's everyhwere else, the shorter winter day also makes salah scheduling hard. I wonder waxaa qurbaha inaku dhajiyay, sometimes. Illahay ha inoo sahlo / danbi dhaafo.

WCs for Diasbled are great for wudu, a large company should have one...

*Blessed;896897 wrote:
WCs for Diasbled are great for wudu
, a large company should have one...

haha I don't know why that had me laughing out loud :D

Showqi   

OdaySomali;896936 wrote:
haha I don't know why that had me laughing out loud
:D

Dee Blessed knows the shortcut. Curyaamiinta waa iney u duceeysaa:D

Blessed   

Err, there is a wudu shortcut??? LoL. Heedhe, WC for disabled ppl usually have a sink in the cabin, hence no one will see you making wudu, which is an issue for some.

Maaddeey   

^^ lool. Anigaba waa isticmaalaa, shaqada keliya maahee isbitaalada xataa. Iridaada soo xiro lugaha xataa sink-iga ku dhaqo (sinkigoodu aad buu u weynyahay oo weliba hooseeya) :)

raula   

Baashi at my current place of work..(HOSPITAL), we have a prayer room that serves all denominations that has no furnishings. Hence, Friday prayers are conducted there by muslim colleagues & joined by neighboring muslim employees (since the hospital is right in the heart of a major city)-even the Imams come from local masjids & centers. However, its ONLY MALE for Fridays. I, on the other hand, have my masala & use one of the office rooms (whether its my department or not). Good luck.