Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

INstant exponentian increase in Soomaali literacy

Use xarfaha Arabic to write af-soomaali and anyone who can the quran who has been to dugsi/malcaamad/madrassa will instatnte be able to read and write.

Xarfaha af acarabuga are sufficiently complex to be adap ted for af-soomaali.

Tallaabo   

I always thought the Arabic script would suite Af Soomaali better as we share a lot of sounds like x, kh, etc with the Arabs. Other major languages like the Farsi and Urdu also use the Arabic script. The adoption of this script would surely increase our literacy rate.

Blessed   

^Agreed, sadly most of the attention back home goes to children in urban hubs whilst the majority are ignored.

There's nothing with the current Somali script. It's easier to master than Arabic and is also more accessible to children raised in the diaspora who use the latin script.

Che -Guevara;861721 wrote:
Only investment in primary education will increase literacy rates.

*Blessed;861769 wrote:
^Agreed, sadly most of the attention back home goes to children in urban hubs whilst the majority are ignored.

There's nothing with the current Somali script. It's easier to master than Arabic and is also more accessible to children raised in the diaspora who use the latin script.

Co-sign.

try to read arabic in internet,consumes all your time.Too much dots,signs.Nothing like latin,much much easier.Or is this the never ending quest to be arab?

When the somali script was written, the Saudi King at that time promised to pay all the cost involved if we adapt Arabic but the dawladii Kacaanka refused and therefore, adapted the latin script . The latin scrip is much easier than Arabic.

I did not mean to suggest that there is anything wrong with the Latin Somali alphabet. There isnt.

But the reality is that we have very limited resources and we are not able to fund or deliver far reaching education projects to ensure that everyone is literate. What we do have in place are existing structures and institutions. From a very young age all Somali children, poor and rich, are taught to read and write in Arabic so that they are able to read the quran. These same skills they are taught could be used to help them write and read Somali by using the Arabic alphabet which they are already familiar with and which they are already able to read.

It just seems the most logical and cost effective method to achieve mass literacy in a matter of months.

Hawdian   

The best thing ever done during the Military Gov was to write afsoomali In Latin scrip. That was a genius idea and very brave decision . Our literacy increase in the 70s is a testimony to this Baar amba baro afsomali.

Latin script is only easier to read if your a Somali in the diaspora. When I went back to Somalia, I've found that a lot of people find it hard to read the latin script. Arabic is universal for all Somalis, whether your 4 or 90, you'll be reading the Quran. Anyways, the oldest Somali to be written are in Arabic, by Yusuf Kawnayn if I'm not mistaken.

And the few that disagree, the obvious insincere ones, might aswell come out and say the truth, 'I'm a filthy adoon that doesn't wash his ***, hates Islam and everything to do with it, and I love being a slave to my cadaan masters'.