Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

INstant exponentian increase in Soomaali literacy

Khayr;990313 wrote:
DoctorK,

They always use the metric of double standerism when they speak about Islam and Muslims.

They have self hate written all over themselves.

To Massa, they will always be HNs.

These self-hating Somalis are generally Atheist Westerners, who are trying to do whatever they can to distance themselves from their culture, their religion, and their language.

I don't think they should have the right to an opinion about what goes on in Somalia. They should just immerse themselves in Western culture, change their first name to Kevin or Patrick, and leave Somalis alone.

I've dealt with them in real-life, and they are some of the most unpleasant people I've ever met

Somalis folks need to have a true expression of Islam. the only way this could be found is through the use of Somali in prayer and rituals. why do we need an intermediary (Arabic language) to pray to Allah? Why is it read and only accepted in Arabic? If all languages are understood by Allah then all languages should be used in the prayer ritual, maha? the believer should have direct access and there should be faith for all with easy access!

Somalis must go back to their origins and denounce all foreign ideas. we'll need to create a new sense of nationhood based on Somali folk-lore and customs of our ancestors. the conquerors have taken away our sense of self and replaced them with their own values and ideals. there is cultural genocide being committed in the Somali peninsula by Islam. the last pockets, of what remains of our customs, should be protected against this global phenomenon. Islam, not only calls for uniformity, but also wants a strict regiment of values. this is impossible to enforce. we are a different people whose psyche has been hijacked by the hoarders who have come to our land and destroyed our way of life. since, we're a different kettle of people together, careful considerations must to be made when embracing a new ideology. we ought to carefully and meticulously consider their merits, specially, if it of any use to ‘us’. but when this was spread by the sword and through economic embargoes via manipulative merchants, is it any wonder the people will accept like zealots, without question? we have accepted Islam without question. are we the so called ‘noble savages’, who lack intellectuality and their own historical trajectories?

we need to establish a plurality-conscious society, where customs, religion and sociocultural values all have the same influence and weighing. where emphasis is put on restoring our cultural origins before 'these' foreign ideas were instituted.

Tallaabo   

guleed_ali;990306 wrote:
It is already imposed on Somalis,
unless of course you're counting qurboo joog as Somalis
;)

Iyaga dayuusbaro ayaa la dhahaa;)

Maqane   

OdaySomali;990296 wrote:
To those who are proponents of the latin script I say that is fine but we have to be pragmatic and work with what will be most effective in our situation. We have to put our pride and any anti-Arab sentiment aside.
The reality is that most Somalis can read and write the Arabic alphabet. Why waste money time and effort teaching them a nee alphabet that is completely new and alien to them?

Because the majority can read and write the Alphabet doesn't mean they can easily adapt it. Based on my experience, I'd prefer and go for the Somali Latin script because it doesn't require much then the Arabic does plus I've learned the Arabic Alphabet by force and so did the majority of Somalis and maybe including you ;).

guleed_ali;990324 wrote:
You're flip flopping between sharia' and script we started talking script then talked shari'a and now we're talking script. You see why people are saying you're trolling? We have differing views but don't try to instigate hatred out of people....

hahaaa making your idea go thru in anyway possible thru verbal gymanistics.....reread what you all been saying.

how can anyone deal with you guys if not calling a spade a spade.

Fine , official script in somalilands is Latin & there's no sharia law in any somalilands.You can talk one or both as you like.

Alpha Blondy;990329 wrote:
Somali need to have a true expression of Islam. The only way this could be found is through the use of Somali language in translating the Quran in Somali.
why do we need an intermediary (Arabic language) to pray to Allah?
Why is it read and only accepted in Arabic? If all languages are understood by Allah then all languages should be used in the prayer ritual. the believer should have direct access and there should be faith for all with easy access!

Somalis must go back to their origins and denounce all foreign ideas. we'll need to create a new sense of nationhood based on Somali folk-lore and customs of our ancestors. the conquerors have taken away our sense of self and replaced them with their own values and ideals. there is cultural genocide being committed in the Somali peninsula by Islam. the last pockets of what remains of our customs should be protected. Islam, not only calls for uniformity and but wants a strict regiment of values. this is impossible to enforce. we are a different people whose psyche has been hijacked by the hoarders who have come to our land and destroyed our way of life. since, we're a different kettle of people, carefully considerations must to be made when embracing a new ideology. we ought to carefully and meticulously consider it's merits, specially, if it of any use to ‘us’. but when this was spread by the sword and through economic embargoes via manipulative merchants, is it any wonder the people will accept without question? we have accepted Islam without question. are we the so called ‘noble savages’, who lack intellectuality and their own historical trajectories?

we need to have a plurality-conscious society, where customs, religion and sociocultural values all have the same influence and weighing. Where emphasis is put on restoring our cultural origins before 'these' foreign ideas were instituted.

Because Allah chose the Arabic language for the Quran, there no debating that. It's in the Quran itself:

And We know well that they say: Only a man teacheth him. The speech of him at whom they falsely hint is outlandish, and this is clear Arabic speech.

Surah 16:103.

So you can translate it to any language you wish but it all comes back to the Arabic language. We don't question the decisions of the Lord we just abide by them.

burahadeer;990334 wrote:
hahaaa making your idea go thru in anyway possible thru verbal gymanistics.....reread what you all been saying.

how can anyone deal with you guys if not calling a spade a spade.

Fine , official script in somalilands is Latin & there's no sharia law in any somalilands.You can talk one or both as you like.

Can you openly drink and call to religions other than Islam. Or are the laws of Somaliland highly correlated with Islamic beliefs?

guleed_ali;990337 wrote:
Because Allah chose the Arabic language for the Quran, there no debating that. It's in the Quran itself:

And We know well that they say: Only a man teacheth him. The speech of him at whom they falsely hint is outlandish, and this is clear Arabic speech.

Surah 16:103.

So you can translate it to any language you wish but it all comes back to the Arabic language. We don't question the decisions of the Lord we just abide by them.

don't take this stuff serious, abti.

this is the sort of thing i use to write before becoming a fully-fledged zealot. :cool:

Alpha Blondy;990329 wrote:
Somali need to have a true expression of Islam. The only way this could be found is through the use of Somali language in translating the Quran in Somali. why do we need an intermediary (Arabic language) to pray to Allah? Why is it read and only accepted in Arabic? If all languages are understood by Allah then all languages should be used in the prayer ritual. the believer should have direct access and there should be faith for all with easy access!

Somalis must go back to their origins and denounce all foreign ideas. we'll need to create a new sense of nationhood based on Somali folk-lore and customs of our ancestors. the conquerors have taken away our sense of self and replaced them with their own values and ideals. there is cultural genocide being committed in the Somali peninsula by Islam. the last pockets of what remains of our customs should be protected. Islam, not only calls for uniformity and but wants a strict regiment of values. this is impossible to enforce. we are a different people whose psyche has been hijacked by the hoarders who have come to our land and destroyed our way of life. since, we're a different kettle of people, carefully considerations must to be made when embracing a new ideology. we ought to carefully and meticulously consider it's merits, specially, if it of any use to ‘us’. but when this was spread by the sword and through economic embargoes via manipulative merchants, is it any wonder the people will accept without question? we have accepted Islam without question. are we the so called ‘noble savages’, who lack intellectuality and their own historical trajectories?

we need to have a plurality-conscious society, where customs, religion and sociocultural values all have the same influence and weighing. Where emphasis is put on restoring our cultural origins before 'these' foreign ideas were instituted.

Islam is Islam. There is no alternative version of Islam. Don't try to make our religion like Christianity, which has like 100 different denominations and styles.

Second of all, we already have a Somali translation of the Quran. Almost every Somali house I've been to owns a copy.

Third of all, we can make our dua's in any language we please. We can speak to Allah in any language, because Allah understands all languages. But we have to worship Allah only in Arabic. This is to preserve the original meanings and to safeguard it from being altered over generations, as well as to maintain unity between Muslims of different languages

Fourth of all, you're claiming that Islam is "committing cultural genocide in Somalia". What is this "Islam"? Since when does Islam require that everyone behaves like an Arab? Everyone is different, people have their own cultures and languages, and Islam has nothing to do with that. You can be a Somali Muslim, or a Malaysian Muslim, or a Turkish Muslim. Since when does Islam hinder any of this? Since when does any Muslim have such a poisonous outlook over his own religion?

Fifth of all, when you say "careful considerations are to be made before embracing a new ideology" and you're claiming that Islam was spread by the sword and by manipulative merchants in Somalia, then do you really want Somalis to be Muslims or are you someone who's against the existence of Islam in Somalia in the first place? Since when does any Muslim refer to Islam as a "foreign idea" when Islam is a direct revelation from the Creator of the Worlds?

guleed_ali;990338 wrote:
Can you openly drink and call to religions other than Islam. Or are the laws of Somaliland highly correlated with Islamic beliefs?

Now you getting to" r the laws of Somaliland highly correlated with Islamic beliefs"....wow boy your armor cracked.From strict adherence of Sharia to are they correlated.

you coming to your senses my friend ,there is always some correlation between religion and its people and I'm glad you come off your high horse.

Maqane;990333 wrote:
Because the majority can read and write the Alphabet doesn't mean they can easily adapt it. Based on my experience, I'd prefer and go for the Somali Latin script because it doesn't require much then the Arabic does plus I've learned the Arabic Alphabet by force and so did the majority of Somalis and maybe including you.

My Mom "forced" me to learn how to read English when I was 4 years old. She also "forced" me to play sports. She also "forced" me to learn mathematics. But that's totally fine.

But when Somali parents "force" their children to read the Arabic script, that's a totally bad thing.

Wallahi I hate these double-standard Somalis, these inferiority-complex ridden Somalis, these self-hating people. Authubilah

Safferz   

I disagree with the premise of this thread -- most Somalis are illiterate, period. Children in dugsi or folks on this forum aren't representative of the literacy rates as a whole back home, and the ones who can read Arabic are generally the same ones who can read Somali. As Che points out, the key issue here is access and enrollment in primary education.

But some interesting arguments here re: orthography and its foreignness, it's true that Somalis - and African Muslims more generally - adopted the Arabic script for their languages historically where they did not have indigenous writing systems, and those writings today are known as ajami literature to historians. There are good arguments for and against both, but I think today the Latin script enables Somalis to easily read and learn English, French and other international as well as regional languages that are of greater significance in the current global economy. At this point I see little utility in changing it, though sometimes looking back at the orthography debates of the 60s and 70s, I kinda wish the indigenous scripts like Osmaniya pushed by Somali nationalists had won out :P I've always been a little jealous of the Ge'ez alphabet used by Amharic, Tigrinya and other Ethiopian/Eritrean Semitic languages.

burahadeer;990343 wrote:
Now you getting to" r the laws of Somaliland highly correlated with Islamic beliefs"....wow boy your armor cracked.From strict adherence of Sharia to are they correlated.

you coming to your senses my friend ,there is always some correlation between religion and its people and I'm glad you come off your high horse.

I adhere to the strict laws of shari'a and comply my family to do the same. I thought we already settled the debate that no nation is currently implementing true shari'a in it's entirety because it collides with the personal interests and political desires of their leaders. But the basis are there just needs some tweaking and I hope that the message reaches all of them the same way it reached the people of Quraish 1400 years ago. In other words if this forum were taking place anywhere in Somalia you wouldn't be able to full express yourself the way you are here. I on the other hand would be the same on or off the net.

Safferz;990346 wrote:
I disagree with the premise of this thread -- most Somalis are illiterate, period. Children in dugsi or folks on this forum aren't representative of the literacy rates as a whole back home, and the ones who can read Arabic are generally the same ones who can read Somali. As Che points out, the key issue here is access and enrollment in primary education.

But some interesting arguments here re: orthography and its foreignness, it's true that Somalis - and African Muslims more generally - adopted the Arabic script for their languages historically where they did not have indigenous writing systems, and those writings today are known as ajami literature to historians. There are good arguments for and against both, but I think today the Latin script enables Somalis to easily read and learn English, French and other international as well as regional languages that are of greater significance in the current global economy. At this point I see little utility in changing it, though sometimes looking back at the orthography debates of the 60s and 70s, I kinda wish the indigenous scripts like Osmaniya pushed by Somali nationalists had won out
:P
I've always been a little jealous of the Ge'ez alphabet used by Amharic, Tigrinya and other Ethiopian/Eritrean Semitic languages.

A sound argument without angling towards bashing shari'a or the Arabic language. Take note people!