Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

INstant exponentian increase in Soomaali literacy

Khadafi   

The Latin alphabet is good and international. We have to remember that Somalia was very poor during the 70-ties when it adopted the latin alphabet, if they would have taken the arabic alphabet think about the how many new "arab" keyboard type writes they would be forced to buy.

The Somali linguists had good to reasons to why they did not the Arab alphabet

magicbird;990248 wrote:
Latin script is only easier to read if your a Somali in the diaspora. When I went back to Somalia, I've found that a lot of people find it hard to read the latin script. Arabic is universal for all Somalis, whether your 4 or 90, you'll be reading the Quran. Anyways, the oldest Somali to be written are in Arabic, by Yusuf Kawnayn if I'm not mistaken.

And the few that disagree, the obvious insincere ones, might aswell come out and say the truth, 'I'm a filthy adoon that doesn't wash his ***, hates Islam and everything to do with it, and I love being a slave to my cadaan masters'.

Dude, wtf.

For one, the vast majority of Somalis don't read Arabic, if you are on some next level delusional high then thats something else. Some can read the alphabet somewhat but to say the Arabic script is universal is just plain dumb. Especially if we take into account the demographics of Somali society with youth making up the majority, youth that for the most part have had a lot more exposure to the Latin script than Arabic.

As to your point of us being 'a slave to the cadaan masters' merely by expression an agreement with the Latin choice then I suspect your motives are purely your love for being a slave to your Arab masters.

Ha! :D

To those who are proponents of the latin script I say that is fine but we have to be pragmatic and work with what will be most effective in our situation. We have to put our pride and any anti-Arab sentiment aside. The reality is that most Somalis can read and write the Arabic alphabet. Why waste money time and effort teaching them a nee alphabet that is completely new and alien to them?

Allyourbase;990293 wrote:
Dude, wtf.

As to your point of us being 'a slave to the cadaan masters' merely by expression an agreement with the Latin choice then I suspect your motives are purely your love for being a slave to your Arab masters.

Ha!
:D

:D For them everything Arab Is Islam,and they throw out the window different interests exist between Arabs or between Muslims.

Case in point,the gulf states save guard their oil & many times come in line with Israeli interests,they against Husbulah,Iran etc.Egypt has diplomatic relations with Israel while still occupies Golan heights.You can't marry Gulf women when none national ,and that was not the case when were poorer before the oil.

This Latin script suites us well and much easier than Arabic.99% of Somalis don't understand Arabic...unless you in khaleej.

and if kids learn Arabic words early so too they learn Somali early.

and why always the proponents of anything to do with arab or islam come across belligerent & downright nasty

We are not arab neither latin.......taking advantage best of both worlds like everyone else.

Arabic is the language of the Quran. Quran is for Muslims. Somalis are Muslims. Therefore, Arabic is for Somalis. I don't care about what Arabs do or don't that's up to them. We as Somalis are Muslim first and Somali second. Teaching children how to read Allah's book and write in their own language would be a definite advantage and would educate Somalis and help them learn the Quran. I'm not sure it's possible to reverse almost a half century of writing in Latin but if there's a will there's a way in shaa Allah.

I whole-heartedly believe that burahadeer and Allyourbase are nothing more than trolls, who litter this forum with their useless drivel.

So you're telling me if Somalis adopt the Arabic script, this makes them "slaves to their Arab Masters" but if we adopt the Latin script, somehow we're not slaves to our European masters? You do realize that the Latin script is foreign to us Somalis as well right? So what's with the double standard? We can't use Arabic letters because....?

Almost every Somali on this forum can read Arabic, I've been to Somalia and when I visited the duksi's, all of the little children could read Arabic. And the Somalis I visited had a harder time reading the Latin script than the Arabic script. You can visit the smallest village in Somalia, and virtually everyone can read Arabic. Allyourbase was caught in a bald-faced lie, he's speaking about things he knows nothing about.

But you want to reject the Arabic script because it's foreign to us, and adopt the Latin script because it's not foreign to us?

burahadeer;990304 wrote:
^^^ you guys into something else.....go make it Arabic &
impose sharia on Somalis
....til then you can keep writing.

It is already imposed on Somalis, unless of course you're counting qurboo joog as Somalis ;)

Khayr   

DoctorK,

They always use the metric of double standerism when they speak about Islam and Muslims.

They have self hate written all over themselves.

To Massa, they will always be HNs.

you can come to every thread in droves with profanity but alas you can't change anything.Somali people have their destiny in their own hands and no arab wannabe can change that;

keep shouting out to each otha:D

burahadeer;990315 wrote:
you can come to every thread in droves with profanity but alas you can't change anything.Somali people have their destiny in their own hands and no arab wannabe can change that;

keep shouting out to each otha;D

Our arguments reflect the wide opinion of Somalis in Somalia. The few that are out of the country cannot really present their views within their own families let alone with Somalia as a whole

^^^ in Somalia the Somali script is the official one and nowhere seen any otha.The system of gov't is thru ballot box in Somaliland & parlemantary in Mogadishu...these implemented by masses in the country & not disporas...we both know that.

burahadeer;990320 wrote:
^^^ in Somalia the Somali script is the official one and nowhere seen any otha.The system of gov't is thru ballot box in Somaliland & parlemantary in Mogadishu...these implemented by masses in the country & not disporas...we both know that.

You're flip flopping between sharia' and script we started talking script then talked shari'a and now we're talking script. You see why people are saying you're trolling? We have differing views but don't try to instigate hatred out of people....