Somalia

Edna Aden Ismail Says All Somalis Terrorists

ElPunto   

Ace of Spadez;840880 wrote:
Carafaat, common sense dictates that leaders are a reflection of society. If Somalia has only produced warlords, pirates, and wanton destruction how is that generalization?

Yes - an entire country of millions has only produced that?! Are you sure you comprehend the meaning of generalization? Are you able to get the basic rudimentary elements of logical reasoning?

Carafaat   

Ace of Spadez;840880 wrote:
Carafaat, common sense dictates that leaders are a reflection of society
. If Somalia has only produced warlords, pirates, and wanton destruction how is that generalization? It is Somalia's leaders that have asked Ethiopian tanks to be stationed in Mogadishu, who hide behind AMISOM troops and welcome Kenya into their country. Edna is not the first one to say it, it is written in most major news papers of the world, Somalia is a failed state, it harbours terrorists, and it is starving. Let’s focus on the message. This isn't new. If it is new for some, then maybe this will give them the opportunity to correct themselves and try to put an end to this misery that has gone on long enough.

I agree. All socities get the leaders they deserve. Lets have a closer look at recent leaders leaders of Somalia and Somaliland.

-Riyaale, former NSS officer

-Ahmed Yusuf Yasin, suufi sheick

-Siilanyo, 80 year old former SNM leader

-Faisal Ali Waraabe, :D

-Sheick Shariif, quran teacher

-Faroole, pirate

-Geedi, thief

What was your point again. :D

Aaliyah,

I like you. If the world had more Aaliyah's it would have been a better place. Having said, I would beg to differ on how you see the issues at hand. I hope you understand we can disagree without shaking our heads or rolling our eyes. :)

1. Al-Shabaab has spawned from the instability in Somalia. They are not an organization that neither the citizens of Somaliland nor their government has created. They are a bi-product of the Islamic Courts. I fail to see the connection. I really tried, but unfortunately there is no evidence to what you have asserted here. Unless of course we are going to play pin the tail on the donkey.

2. Awdal is by the far the most peaceful part of Somaliland. It is where Somaliland's institutions were ratified and its sovereignty shaped. Borama today is a cosmopolitan city which boasts a number of universities. Many Somalis be they Djiboutian, Somalian or what have you come and live there. Many Somalis of all nationalities take their kids there for Dhaqan Celis. I doubt if there was oppression people would not flock to live there.

3. Contrary to popular belief there are a sizable percentage of people who want Somaliland in these areas. It would not be possible for Somaliland to remain in Laascaanood for one day if it was not because of local support. Before Somaliland took full control of Laascaanood there were revenge killing based on clan. This is no more and the safety of the city has been much improved. Nevertheless, the issue of Sool is an internal issue for Somaliland to solve. Surely this is something that will have to be addressed in a meaningful manner for Somaliland to continue to prosper, but again I fail to see how these internal problems of Somaliland have made Somalia synonymous with piracy, starvation and theater for foreign troops.

4. Your last point went over my head. I doubt it very much that Somaliland's stance not to get involved in the quagmire that is Somalia, is the reason Somalia is a failed state today. In fact, I think it was the humane thing to do for Somaliland not to get caught between the myriad factions of Somalia.

Carafaat, is Faisal a warlord? Is Dahir Riyale? Is Silanyo? Surely you cannot be serious. In any event, suppose you're right. All three are criminals. The question is how come Somaliland is able to exist as a de facto nation state? It is the collective will of the people to make institutions and build a political entity. This is the reason that although Riyale would have liked to get 5 more years as president, he stepped down not because Museveni told him to, but because the people of Somaliland voted him out. In any case, I think you're trying real hard to veer the topic at hand. 1. What exactly did Edna Aden say that is untruthful? Somalia is a failed state. Somalia has only produced piracy, terrorism and starvation and chaos the last 21 years. If you feel this is not true, please share with us the alternate reality.

El Punto,

Politically, Somalia has only produced warlords, pirates, and corrupt politicians. Somalia today is a failed state and not only that but also occupied by foreign troops. It has lost all sense of sovereignty. It might be a little hard to digest, but this is the truth. This is the sum of all the millions of Somalis in Somalia could muster an institution called TFG where things get divided by a system called 4.5 or 5.0. This is plastered all over the media if you were not privy to it before.

Che...I think this is logical....

Who in their right mind would want to unite with Al-Shabaab. Who in their right mind would want to unite with Pirates? I think if Somalia had an alternate choice, they too would distance themselves from the failed state that Somalia is.

It is pretty logical to me. It is good to take a good look in the mirror once in a while. These issues are no secret. Maybe Somalis have become accustomed to their own stench that Somalis from Somalia no longer see what the entire world sees.

May Allah help us all in these difficult times.

uchi   

Ace, the pirates keep Somali's on the news (thanks to them the world is listening now), you should be proud to embrace them.

Ace-That makes prefect sense but the initial point she was making was about Somaliland youth and their lack of opportunities and how lack of international recognition is hindering those opportunities. She goes on to say the scourge of piracy and terrorism qualities she later attributes to Somalis is calling the youth of Somaliland. Now, considering there's no piracy or AS in Somaliland and this entity which is promoting itself as distinct from other Somalis proudly flaunts these facts, why should piracy and terror be factor in Somaliland in regards to their youth?

Uchi oday gaal ah baa maalin pirate igu yidhi it took me 20 min to explain that we fight piracy akhirki waa isku xiiqnay wuxu iga dan waayeey stealing is not good.why do you do that meeshan waxba qaldan.

Che, are you denying that lack of de jure recognition has not affected Somaliland's economic potential? Is it not true a number of youth from Somaliland were enticed to join Al-Shabab. One of the most interesting cases is the former Somaliland's Financ minister's Son died in the wars for Islamic Courts, yet the person who declared Jihad is the President of Somalia hiding behind AMISOM. Were there not bombing in Hargeisa financed by Al-Shabab using some local residents in Somaliland? The risk is there. I think she also should have mentioned that if you do not allow people to live in their communities and homes with their rights to exist, they will continue to come into Europe illegally. It is in Europe's best interest to a) give Somaliland de jure recognition and b) help Somalia find peace. Piracy, Terrorism and Illegal Immigration would be significantly reduced which what Europe wants.