Sign in to follow this  
Wiil Cusub

Channel 4 British Somalis are sending their children back to Africa (dhaqan celis)

Abwaan   

Malika;839858 wrote:
^True - indeed, we wish them all the best. I actually felt sorry for them, they felt they were low class here in UK, thats was enough to erode any sense of self respect or love they have for themselves. I couldnt relate to that, as a diasporan born and bred, we have always had a sense of belonging with our families, community and nation even though we were miles away from Somalia. Marka maa fahmo ciyalkaan qurbaha jooga why feel inferior or low class?

It is about Ilaahay amarkiis and who raises you. Role model is very important. Many of them lack a father figure. They either have none or there is an invisible one, then there are things like cultural clash, peer pressure and so on. This is really sad!

Caruurtanu runta ma rabtan waxa dayacay abayashood they don't have a role model berigi hore Tupac shakur iyo Puff daddy ba aha role modelkooda maantana 50cent iyo mid la baxay the game, Habluhuna Beyoncey iyo Rihana ba waalay iyo kabo dhadheer oo la xidho iyo nightclubyo la tago iyo wixi la mid ah. Wa waxad u arkeysid inay marwalba gidaarada tagaanyihin. Yaryarka waxay u bahanyihin qof gacan qabta oo tusa they are lucky inay wax bartaan jamacada ka baxan shaqooyin fiican ka shaqeyaan ,laakin if Hooyo mar walba aroos tegeyso laga tumayo markay guriga joogtona ay hagbad, ayuuto ururinayso, Dumarku xita wabay dhaman raga xogaha sabab iyagu inta badan waba la jogaan caruurta iyaga ba koriya. Laakin Caruurta abahood inta badan mafrish iyo sheeko maqaaxi iyo fadhi ku dirir bu ku maqanyahay yaryarkuna busstationka bay istaagayan sida Jumaicanka bay radio qaadanayan drugska ka ibinayaan. Mar mar gangs noqonayaan sabab ma oga nolosha wanaagsan waxay noqon karto.They can live in Somaliland and escape the west they can stay there learn the culture language, laakin dhibtu waxa weye markay reer Hargeysa walaan oo ay yidhahaan sidaasa lo socda iyo sidaasa afla lo qaloociya.

Chimera   

Britain is the greatest country on the planet, these kids are just degenerate waste of space, no excuses. I feel sorry for the local parents in Hargeisa, they deserve better. Don't go back, unless you got something worthy to contribute.

ps Hargeisa looks sweet, and LOL how come women at Lido beach are swimming right beside their men in a post-Al-Shaydaan era, but women in Berbera can't enjoy the same? That was a shock.

EDIT: The local women are allowed.

Blessed   

That surprised me too. Berbera has a large stretch of beach, the girls could have easily found themselves a spot away from the boys and the cameras, didn't see the point of taking the poor things, if they were going to be locked in the bus. p.s I've been to Berbera beach several times and no one bothered us. In fact, it's usually empty.

True say, Aaliyah and you're Somali is fantastic.

Mario B   

Xaaji Xunjuf;839928 wrote:
Caruurtanu runta ma rabtan waxa dayacay abayashood they don't have a role model berigi hore Tupac shakur iyo Puff daddy ba aha role modelkooda maantana 50cent iyo mid la baxay the game, Habluhuna Beyoncey iyo Rihana ba waalay iyo kabo dhadheer oo la xidho iyo nightclubyo la tago iyo wixi la mid ah. Wa waxad u arkeysid inay marwalba gidaarada tagaanyihin. Yaryarka waxay u bahanyihin qof gacan qabta oo tusa they are lucky inay wax bartaan jamacada ka baxan shaqooyin fiican ka shaqeyaan ,laakin if Hooyo mar walba aroos tegeyso laga tumayo markay guriga joogtona ay hagbad, ayuuto ururinayso, Dumarku xita wabay dhaman raga xogaha sabab iyagu inta badan waba la jogaan caruurta iyaga ba koriya. Laakin Caruurta abahood inta badan mafrish iyo sheeko maqaaxi iyo fadhi ku dirir bu ku maqanyahay yaryarkuna busstationka bay istaagayan sida Jumaicanka bay radio qaadanayan drugska ka ibinayaan. Mar mar gangs noqonayaan sabab ma oga nolosha wanaagsan waxay noqon karto.They can live in Somaliland and escape the west they can stay there learn the culture language, laakin dhibtu waxa weye markay reer Hargeysa walaan oo ay yidhahaan sidaasa lo socda iyo sidaasa afla lo qaloociya.

Lol, That was the best rant from XX with alot of truth, it came right from the heart.:D

Chimera   

Abwaan;839926 wrote:
It is about Ilaahay amarkiis and who raises you. Role model is very important.
Many of them lack a father figure
. They either have none or there is an invisible one, then there are things like cultural clash, peer pressure and so on. This is really sad!

That's not true, the 30-65 age Somali male demographic in our community are excellent role-models. I can understand a Jamaican kid feeling out of place in London when all of the shops he does his groceries in is owned by Turks, all the Barbershops are owned by Pakistanis, all the Churches are owned by Whites, but for a Somali kid there are entire streets with shops owned by successful Somali men and women, plenty of Somali owned mosques or those with Somali imams, there are plenty of famous Somali world-class athletes, authors and journalists that grace the British tv-screen periodically, there are plenty of important Somali councillors and mayors. There are plenty of heavyweight Somali businesspeople headquartered in London, indeed there are plenty of role-models, if they choose to look.

Xaaji Xunjuf however hit the nail on the hit, they chose different role-models, and it got them nowhere, other than polluting a rising Somali metropolis with their silly accents and gold-teeth.

Chimera   

*Blessed;839937 wrote:
That surprised me too. Berbera has a large stretch of beach, the girls could have easily found themselves a spot away from the boys and the cameras, didn't see the point of taking the poor things, if they were going to be locked in the bus. p.s I've been to Berbera beach several times and no one bothered us. In fact, it's usually empty.

True say, Aaliyah and you're Somali is fantastic.

I think its fake, or the girls from the dhaqan celis camp are simply the only ones not allowed, because in this picture you have diaspora girls and boys mixing with the locals on the same beach:

Berberbatalaale3.JPG

chubacka   

Chimera, Abwaan was talking about father figures, not role models.

I don't think it matters if there are a thousand high achieving somalis on your street, if your father is absent, or not too concerned about your schooling, interest general day to day life it will affect you immensely. Positive role models are not a replacement for a present, engaged father. I think its fair to say that that is one of the issues @ work along with many others that help our young boys to go astray.

I was really surprised at the treatment these kids were getting back home, a gentle introduction to life in Somalia haha, mch nicer than many previous dhann celis kids have had. I think after this period of rehabilitation its important to help them find a role in society, the money from mum and dad needs to dry up and they need to think about how to earn their keep.

Garnaqsi   

Malika;839867 wrote:
Garnaqis - economically yes, but why is that translated as how one defines one self ? Working to earn a living, however small is honourable so I dont get the 'poor me attitude'

Unfortunately, the attitude is a shared one among inner city kids, they have already assumed because they come from challenging enviroment [with free house,food,school, hospital] they are 'low' thus why aim high, why have pride or self respect. I work in an inner city school, changing the 'low' self view has been a challenging task so far.

ps.Last summer London riots was the evidence of how corrupted their thinking is
[i mean the youth]
- causing havoc because they feel someone owes them something, whilst wearing designer gear claiming their not given chances..lol. They should see a 20yr old walking the length of London in Dar es salaams hot afternoon selling socks - now that is a tough life.

Oh, I see what you mean. I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph.

Aaliyyah   

chubacka;840120 wrote:
Chimera, Abwaan was talking about father figures, not role models.

I don't think it matters if there are a thousand high achieving somalis on your street, if your father is absent, or not too concerned about your schooling, interest general day to day life it will affect you immensely. Positive role models are not a replacement for a present, engaged father. I think its fair to say that that is one of the issues @ work along with many others that help our young boys to go astray.

I was really surprised at the treatment these kids were getting back home, a gentle introduction to life in Somalia haha, mch nicer than many previous dhann celis kids have had. I think after this period of rehabilitation its important to help them find a role in society, the money from mum and dad needs to dry up and they need to think about how to earn their keep.

Well said Chubacka. I can't stress enough the importance for children both boys and girls to have a good father figure. And that doesn't end with having a father who works so he can meet his financial obligation to his family. Like chimera said many somali men own business and others are employees. So bringing home cheques isn't enough they need to spend quality time with their children in particular their sons. It is really heart breaking to see fathers who work hard interms of getting up every morning to earn and yet ku khasaraya caruurtooda siiba wiilasha. Working everyday is pointless hadaad dadkaad u shaqeenasid faaido kasoo socon.

Blessed, thanks hun.

Young Somalis living in Britain/United States are often emulating the wrong types of role models, and then when they are sent to Somalia they end up corrupting the locals to their way of thinking.

I've met several young Somali men who BRAGGED to me about how they used to charm the local Somali girls into sleeping with them (telling those poor naive girls that they loved them, they were going to bring them back to Europe, take care of the girls, etc.)

My brother knew this one Somali man who actually impregnated a local Somali girl and then he flew back to Europe, leaving her alone with the child.

There are some dhaqancelis who are a positive force, but I believe more often than not, they bring nothing of value to their ancestral homeland

NGONGE   

Just watched the video. Can't see what the fuss is all about. The boys sound reasonable and the girl is grown up. Sounds like 'dhaqan celis" works. :D

Chimera   

Chubacka, there are plenty of Somali men who's fathers unfortunately died in the war, yet their sons turned out fine. There are two paths a boy can take in such a situation, he can cry about this reality or he can become the man in the house. In an other topic someone was complaining about how big Somali families are, yet you're trying to tell me these lost boys couldn't find a father figure in those same big families? If I had lost my father, I would still have my uncles, cousins, grand-father etc to look up to, and model myself after. If I have a son, and if I were to perish before he reaches 12, my brothers, cousins and uncles would all step in.

To be honest some kids are rebels, and no amount of "quality time" will change their persepective of the world, until they have finally mentally grown up like the girl in the video. Just recently a sister who lost her father to the war, returned to Mogadishu to be part of a pioneering Tedx conference, why did she succeed in life without the presence of her father, while the characters in the video all had their parents yet failed?

Some people are just born rebels, and this cuts across nations, continents and ethnic groups.

The only point I will agree with is the alienation these kids suffer, this is because a strong contemporary Somali culture is not in place. We need a strong Somali bubble that captures the generation between the age 15-20, whether its through sporting tournaments, popular culture(music, films, novels, comics etc), home-work clubs, charter schools, etc. After that their minds will have matured while not having a history of bad mistakes.

Maaddeey   

"I thought to myself: instead of listening to Rihanna, or something meaningless in the house, get those children and bring them to the house; print stuff out from the internet, teach them stuff - numbers, greetings - give them a better chance in life."

After seeing a neighbour being beaten by her husband, she has also started counselling women.

"I'd like to see Somaliland a bit more like Britain. I know it won't be, but I'm talking about fairness - things like that."

Waa la gacan galay!.