Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Forget Xiinfaniin, meet Somali Lemonade

Chimera   

Mario B;819428 wrote:
No need to trash Raamsade, he might have some other issues:D but he may just be stating what we all know deep down. Somalis, one ethnicity, one religion, one madhab, one language, one land...what did we do with all those blessings? We soiled on ourselves.:mad:

All of us need to look at ourselves with some serious introspection, because let's face it...as group we have been hopeless.

Is that what you feel when you look deep down? Are you even aware that the largest civil-wars in history were fought by people that looked the same, had the same culture and spoke the same language? The Chinese Civil War? the American Civil War? The Korean War? Nothing unique about our situation and just because we are in a bad state today doesn't mean we will be tomorrow, because we weren't yesterday. Pick any century in the last 2000 years, and our ancestors will rank high as a trading and military group in the Red Sea and Indian Ocean, twenty years of statelessness won't change this fact. When I look deep down, this is what I see:

- Somalia, a country with an immense rich historic heritage and culture.

- A country that was hailed as one of the greatest democratic countries in Africa in the 1960s, and President Aden Abdulle was the first head of state to step down peacefully in an African election year.

- A country that made the greatest advance in literacy history, outshining the much hailed Cuban literacy campaign.

- A country that maintained a military complex considered in the top five militaries of Africa, a continent of 50+ countries. It send troops to Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe, and trained the South Africans and the Eritreans during their independence struggles.

- A country that was one of the few self-sufficient countries in Africa, and the breadbasket of the Middle East, and even exported food to Europe. A single Somali crop like 'bananas' was the biggest employer of people in East Africa.

- A country that was the first muslim country to grant equal rights to women through the 1975 Family Law, and the participation of women in the work-force was higher in Somalia than the percentages of Algeria, Sudan, Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco put together.

- A country that in peace was building more deepsea ports than any country in East Africa.

- A country that was building more highways and roads than its larger neighbour Ethiopia. Even today Somalia's paved road-network remains larger than the road-networks of Uganda and DR Congo put together whose combined territory size is five times larger than Somalia.

- A country who's aviation sector maintained Africa's largest runway at the Berbera Airport, whose record was only broken by the 4500m runway expansion at Mogadishu Airport.

- A country who's 1000 year old city of Mogadishu was one of the cleanest and safest cities in Africa, and a major political and cultural capital hosting fashion shows, sport-events, major political conventions and annually presided over two of the four largest African Film Festivals, and had the region's largest Museum.

- A country that was the only country in Africa with whom the Soviet Union signed a friendship-treaty, and the first African country to be visited by a Soviet Head of State.

- A country that in 1974 became the first non-Arab country to join a traditionally exclusive organisation like the Arab League.

- A country that maintained the largest commercial Merchant fleet in the Muslim world; larger than seafaring nations like Turkey, Pakistan and Morocco.

- A country who's national carrier 'Somali Airlines' was the only national airlines in Africa to have in its work-force exclusively 'African pilots and technicians' (all professional Somalis) and had one of the largest networks flying to the Middle-East, Europe and other parts of Africa.

- A country that was in the process of constructing Africa's second largest Dam (after the Aswan dam) in the form of the Bardera dam project.

- A country that constructed the largest Fish production factory in East Africa, the biggest meat processing factory. The SNAI sugar factory was the largest in the region, and Somaltex manufactured more textiles than any country in Africa, with so much produced that one could stretch it from Mogadishu to New York according to an 1980s journalist.

- A country who's largest university is reponsible for educating globally renown scientists, judges and professors:

Somali National University

2sa022u.jpg

-Abdulqawi Yusuf – international lawyer and judge with the International Court of Justice.

-Ali Said Faqi – prominent scientist and leading researcher in toxicology.

-Warsame Ali – prominent scientist and co-founder of the Somali Development Foundation.

-Asha Jama - Prominent Somali Canadian activist.

-Jama Musse Jama - Prominent Somali ethnomathematician and author.

-Abdiweli Mohamed Ali - Economist professor and politician.

- Hussein Warsame - Major accountant and associate professor.

- Mohamud D Afgarshe - Award winning doctor and lecturer.

- Said O.Ismail - Pathologist and Associate Medical Director for Spectrum Health Cytology Services.

-Hussein Hanfi - Anesthesiologist at Howard University Hospital in Washington DC.

- Abdulqadir Omar - Project Coordinator with City of Toronto’s Department of Health and WHO Emergency Health Coordinator in South Sudan.

- Mohamed Hassan - Assistant Professor in the Department of Medicine-Gastroenterology Division at the University of Minnesota in 2004.

- Abdirashid Shire - Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic.

etc, etc

That's what I see when I look deep down, because I know our current situation isn't set in stone, and we can go only up, but doesn't mean we as a people are useless, no to the contrary!

Jacpher   

Mario B;819428 wrote:
No need to trash Raamsade, he might have some other issues:D but he may just be stating what we all know deep down.
Somalis
, one ethnicity,
one religion,
one madhab,
one language, one land...what did we do with all those blessings?

Raamsade is the mad one here. Mad because of the bolded part of your reply. Where would an atheist be in a country of that description? Horta how does one say Atheism in Somali? Alle diid? Ilaah diid? :D

Sensei   

This is just too funny-- when we have to remind ourselves how horrible of people we have become. Or not.

Somali Lemonade is too beautiful of a name to create any sort of fuss. I personally love anything Somali that contains liin-dhanaan, and would bet on my Somali Liin-dhanaan, if I were a betting man.

nuune   

^^ run baa fiican, nin diintii ka baxey, dadkiisa iyo dalkiisana aan rabin, just like he has nothing in life, he is nothing like what he believes, waa NOTHING, habeen madoow ayaan dhurwaaga siin lahaa intaan geed ugu xiro, asoo kale inuu nolosha isku duugo ayaa habboon illeen waxba ma ahanee,

halkan buu mar uu diinteena suuban caayo, iyo mar uu dadkeena iyo dalkeena caayo, koronto ayaan ku daari lahaa the likes of him.

Blessed   

Libaax-Sankataabte;819461 wrote:
lol@Blessed. Looks like you are in the hunt for a lemonade. I am with you. BTW, have you seen the video of Fardoole? His story is an amazing story I tell ya.
:)
We have to find new nomads like him.

Cool. Fardoole makes the geeljire thing doable walaahi, great stuff.

so nuune, you would kill someone for their views? lol, seriously, it cant be that serious...

On another note, i know which horse I will be cheering for, keep us updated who ever has the info peeps

Libaax-Sankataabte;819461 wrote:
lol@Blessed. Looks like you are in the hunt for a lemonade. I am with you. BTW, have you seen the video of Fardoole? His story is an amazing story I tell ya.
We have to find new nomads like him.

Gheelle, Awoowe, are you a Derby follower? It is coming up.

Awoowe, 19 days to the Derby! When the Derby festivities start, this sleeping town becomes live for couple of weeks. So, yes I am a big fun of the race and of course love horses. Wish I could afford to own one of them thoroughbreds!

"Ilaahey baa runta checeelee" Lmao. that is my line now....Its is really really funny to see a reer woqooyi oo geeljire ah. I mean, all the reer woqooyis that i have seen all my life are long distance drivers(jaad wade) and your typical sujui businessman/woman. I just cant picture it...bzzz

anyway!!, taas waa mid. But this dude's story is just amazing and honestly, inspiring. Geesinimo beey ii yeeshay/ I have been wanting to do this for ages, now i can actually use this guys video to convince skeptical family members that this is a viable business.

Oh one other thing, geela maxuu daaqaa? meesha geedba maba ku yaala?(i know it is jilaal,but come on mayn)..

Mario B   

chimera, while I wont dispute what you have written above, and that we started well as country after independence, it's just it didn't take long for our destructive impulse to kick in. I have not written our people off, it's that I have watched us make bad decision after bad decision for the past 20 yrs...Even at this optimistic times we have just witnessed a stakeholder [Puntland] come with a constitution that puts a dagger to the heart of Somalia Republic and unity of our people.

There are other groups in the South who are waiting to follow suit once Al shaabab vacates the large swath of land it holds. The dual policy was intended to help regional entities to get fund until the central government was in place but what did we do? We created clan fiefdoms with Presidencies and Head of Army and foreign ministers. [Puntland is planning to print it's own currency]

Somaliland and Puntland were meant to be a temporal solution until we become mature enough to realize that nothing was going to work until we reconstituted our central government and it's institutions.

Regional governments [for the 18 regions of Somalia] need to be in control these things to work

1. Taxation

2. Policing

3. Judicial

4. Elections for Governors/Chief Minister

5. Mayoral elections for all towns

6. Election of it's representatives to the national assembly.

The issues of Army, immigration, natural resources, foreign affairs, currency, state tax [ 20% of what regional entities collect] etc are domain of the national government and not some local warlord.

Faarax-Brawn;819923 wrote:
"Ilaahey baa runta checeelee" Lmao. that is my line now....Its is really really funny to see a reer woqooyi oo geeljire ah. I mean, all the reer woqooyis that i have seen all my life are long distance drivers(jaad wade) and your typical sujui businessman/woman. I just cant picture it...bzzz

anyway!!, taas waa mid. But this dude's story is just amazing and honestly, inspiring. Geesinimo beey ii yeeshay/ I have been wanting to do this for ages, now i can actually use this guys video to convince skeptical family members that this is a viable business.

Oh one other thing, geela maxuu daaqaa? meesha geedba maba ku yaala?(i know it is jilaal,but come on mayn)..

Those camels were foraging in the wilderness, as always done, and are thus producing at best 5-7 liters of milk, but it's healthier that way.

If the milk is much in demand and sells at $ 1/1.5 the liter as he said and he's got a hundred she-camels in lactation, that is indeed a very profitable business with minimal costs for him (animals density and overgrazing aside).

Those horses are charming creatures, no doubt, it was beyond wild dream when we had to care for an older one of yellowish brown color around sept 1996 in Central Hargeysa (left by a man suspected of stealing him)...used to feed him his favorite bush tree inside our rented villa next to the presidential compound, take him at the dry river/doox nearby for watering etc (biriij liicliic was a high wooden bridge for pedestrians, the cars bridge then was impassable when the river was active).

IA khayr for your plans bro anyway, was always passionate about nature and animals too...

AbuSalman, Nature is amazing. Animals especially are amazing... I can imagine the pleasure you got when u had to take care of that horse. I never had a chance to even come close to a horse,my dad used to tell me about it when he used to ride them as a boy. i can only imagine.

I like the way this guy was so nonchalant and relaxed. "Geela halkaas unbuu iska daaqaa, ilaahey baa runta checelee",lmao. I just thought the place was a bit barren and with less trees; I guess i was comparing it to the fora of northern kenya & southern ethiopia where most of our camels graze on.