Sign in to follow this  
Garnaqsi

World of religion

Garnaqsi   

Jacpher;817374 wrote:
^For someone who isn't persuaded there is purpose to life and God exists, no amount of 'comprehensive study' is gonna move one way or another. Whether Islam grows quicker than other religions is statistical observations, not tool used to convince others Islam is a truer path than other religions in my opinion. Now if you are refuting such stats, I think Wikipedia won't cut it.

Refuting which statistics? You merely asserted a claim which you didn't support and I pointed out that your claim isn't unique.

Jacpher   

I thought I was clear earlier. Islam growing faster doesn't validate or diminish my religious beliefs. The numbers were widely reported in the news and I don't feel obligated to convince if or why Islam is growing faster because that should not matter to an atheist. But it was you that attempted to refute the claim by posting Wikipedia link and now you seem to be shying it away?? Perhaps, you can't find better source than Wikipedia?

Garnaqsi   

burahadeer;817375 wrote:
[Whether Islam grows quicker than other religions is statistical observations,]

same as Neil Armstrong heard some one reading quran when he landed on moon:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbcS13_f667sxnYZAj3OR

^No thanks, I am comfortable where I am and have no burning desire to impose my views on anyone but there's still chance since you are not quoting Voltaire, Rousseau,Marx, Kent, etc, the benchmark for atheist thoughts.

On side note, when I see Somali atheists, I always wonder about the looks on their faces when they were first exposed to Western philosophers and thinkers in class room. It seems they almost signed their brain away.

faarah22   

you know che, one could say the same thing in reverse but more truer. when someone sells his soul literally to nomadic arab warrior, you can not tell a freeman what you just said. in any case these categorizations are blinding us to the real objective of atheism, it's a tool or vehicle not the end. the real objective here is to unshackle one's self from mysticism and superstitions and see the world with clean lenses. there is no mosque or church to go to and certainly no cumbersome rituals but enjoyment of this little time of life we have on this earth.

Garnaqsi;817370 wrote:
Che -Guevara
and
Jacpher
: While your distrust of Wikipedia is understandable, the point was that claims to be the fastest-growing religion are all too common and unless there is a comprehensive study showing that Islam is the fastest-growing religion, any claim saying as such will hold no more nor less water
that
of any other religion making the same claim.

the word in the bold sums your common accusation.

btw, what will remain of atheism, if you factor out religion?

no man can be in a state of vacuum.

Garnaqsi   

sharma-arke451;817401 wrote:
the word in the bold sums your common accusation.

btw, what will remain of atheism, if you factor out religion?

no man can be in a state of vacuum.

I don't understand your question. Could you make it clearer, please?

Malika   

^He means - atheism feeds on religions - what will it be if it there werent religions?

Sharmarke - that was my interpretation of your question..

Garnaqsi   

Malika;817415 wrote:
^He means - atheism feeds on religions - what will it be if it there werent religions?

I've read it that way as well, but I was hoping that there was bit more to it than being rhetorical.