Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Are we a rude people?

Yunis   

It was Burke who said "Manners are of more importance than laws".

Laws surely depend on individual manners - a decline of manners has surly made Somali society became a wastebasket with largely intolerable creatures.

Malika;769601 wrote:
I think it stems from the upbringing - if a man can call his mother 'eeyahee', can curse the prophet - maa laga sugeyaa to order tea in politeness?

One thing about growing up in other societies one learns from others - especially the other Africans. The Swahilis will not pass you by without greeting you. Children must greet their elders every morning, including strangers on the streets. Treating one other with respect and humbleness is a must. When buying stuff, they would use humbled words like 'naomba' - 'I plea can you sell me this or that' - their mannerism has nothing to do with being educated or not, its part of who they are and how they choose to be.

I have notice the opposite when it comes to how somalis behave - waxaad modeeysaa ineey dagaal kujiraan all the time, they have very little respect for others, which means they have very little respect for themselves.

Norf you talk of maqayaad - you should see them in mosques, subhanallah!

Tarbiyah is missing in our community.

bantu xaarka iska dhiqin ha noo faanin baan ku idhi walaal

Twenty one Somalis including me responded to this thread. Are we to assume all of us are the exception? A case of everyone is guilty but me!

That said, I don't know what went wrong with qurbajooga, the Somalis I grew up with in Somalia were by no means rude. Of course they were rotten apples.

N.O.R.F   

^Not only are many rude they're also inconsiderate. Talking loudly on a bus or in a restaurant or in the mosque.

The environment one grows up in plays a large part in what is acceptable behaviour.

I still think it can be addressed through the media but it needs to be well coordinated.

NGONGE   

Che -Guevara;769851 wrote:
Twenty one Somalis including me responded to this thread. Are we to assume all of us are the exception? A case of everyone is guilty but me!

That said, I don't know what went wrong with qurbajooga, the Somalis I grew up with in Somalia were by no means rude. Of course they were rotten apples.

Twenty two now. If you include my mother, four of my siblings, three aunts, fifteen cousins and fourteen nieces & nephews and a very small number of my in-laws, that's a lot of Somalis who are not rude! :D

p.s.

The Hindi should have stood up for himself and not allow that useless Somali to order him around. I, would have told him so. :D

Typical N.O.R.F,

What a silly post and silly pathetic comments you've put on here. i remember you tell me to get a grip when i first started posting on here but now you've lost the plot. why have expectations at all. somalis are horrible people; so what? who cares.

i've never met a civilised somali person. they are all horrible, back-stabbing and cruel. i keep my distance usually. they are prone to jealousy, resentment and barbaric behaviour. i will my distance in the future.

but all things considered your probably one of the nicest people i have ever met. your personality, despite its obvious shortfalls is exemplary and should be the standard. don't worry brov, our people are full of shit.

here in the horn, they use 'positive' subtle undertones' eg. you ''will'' give me that water. , ''you will listen to me'', ''do you understand (mockingly)?'' the list can go on. i'm sick of it walahi. these savages are ruining my experience and life in hargeisa.

Maaddeey   

People in hot countries tend to be rude and bad tempered (Ibn Khaldun mentioned it in his Muqaddimah), moving to a country where its people are polite don't help, for example Jamaicans and Algerians living in the UK are worse than the Somalis.

Kool_Kat   

Being rude to a Hindi is a whole new topic for another day! Laakiin, generally some Somalis are loud, rude and obnoxious...I avoid going to public places with certain people...Not only do we talk with our hands while being loud, we have no consideration for others...And dare I say "bal hoos u hadla ceeb waaye dadka dhanaa na fiirinooyee" ama "saas dadka loolama hadlee, si fiican qofka wax u weydiiso"...Jawaab jinkeyga ah la'igu dhahaa "ALLA ADNA MAXAA GAAL KA BAQDAA" or "GAAL XUN ANI KAMA BAQAAYO" or my fav "ALLA MAXAA GAAL CAABUD TAHAY"! Seriously!!!

What is most disturbing to me is I can sort of understand if the older Somali generation are acting this way, but these obnoxious fools are people who came here in their early to mid teens and have been here for over two decades! Waa waxaan aqlaaq labarin...

STOIC   

The most rudest question i ever got was when a Somali I just met asked me what my Qabiil was and i honestly didn't know how to answer even after he told me who he was, and can you imagine we are good friends today even after being from different clans...haha....Its just the way our culture deals with people...Nothing surprising to me at least when I meet a Somali person...I'm actually more fond to be around them than my sijuui crew because Somalis know everything (Waax waalbaa wey taathiyeen).....Once in undergrad I met a Somali kid in my school and we chatted and after few hours he was in my apartment playing video game and helping himself with the grocery in my fridge.The white roommate thought that was strange and rude, but I had to remind him that we are different...

A_Khadar   

For sure, many of the mentioned points are true yet no one can pin point where the issue of rudeness and lack of good manners of somalis are coming from.. I would only add, this also varies from regions of somalis. Some regions are normal talking loud and showing toughness/rudeness.

When you live in the west, you would notice this more if you go back to somalia that they are loud, rude and no civility but staying few days/weeks, you get use to it all over again..

However, I am still blaming those who lived with other societies long enough yet didn't change their bad manners.. Those are the ones need the said "SHAABUUG" to teach civility..