Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Are we a rude people?

N.O.R.F   

^:D

Ngonge, what I heard would be considered rude by one and all. What you heard though, is only considred rude by you :D

NGONGE   

^^ When you say "one and all", you mean Somalis. But you are the same person asking if Somalis are rude! :D

Rude is rude, adeer. There is nothing polite about a stranger coming into a place and informing a group of strangers that they have been greated. Nothing.

p.s.

Malika, it's not me dee it's the other two. I admited to my caseer drinking already. Though it does look like I'm the only one with mannars here. :P

N.O.R.F   

One and all means everyone. Any nationality (ok maybe not the Chinese). You on the other hand don't take too kindly to someone greeting you :D

NGONGE   

^^ Rubbish. In most polite socities, a stranger greating people with "you have been greated" would raise an eyebrow or two. Nobody and I insist, nobody, would consider such a greating normal or acceptable (unless the person making the greating is either joking or a royal).

p.s.

No royal would make such a greating either. Wax fahan.

N.O.R.F   

Nonsense. The guys with you, were they not surprised at your reaction? Such a greeting is perfectly acceptable in Somali surrounding especially coffee shops. 'Waad saalamantahay' or 'waa lagu salaamay' or 'salaan sare' are all variations of greetings. You need to stop translating things back into English and understand the context. In this case he greeted but his alter ego told you about it (as a 3rd party).

Disclaimer

I'm no language expert.

NGONGE   

N.O.R.F;771997 wrote:
Nonsense. The guys with you, were they not surprised at your reaction? Such a greeting is perfectly acceptable in Somali surrounding especially coffee shops. 'Waad saalamantahay' or 'waa lagu salaamay' or 'salaan sare' are all variations of greetings. You need to stop translating things back into English and understand the context. In this case he greeted but his alter ego told you about it (as a 3rd party).

Disclaimer

I'm no language expert.

Look, don't mix things up here. Politness is a universal thing and is not Somali specific, saaxib. Many languages in the world even have different phrases and ways to great strangers as opposed to those you know (tous & vous in French, or something along those lines). In addition, when greating a friend and because there is prior familiarity, one can use whatever form of greating there is (some young guys even fart at each other as a form of greating). However, just becuase your mates great you with "waa la idin wada Salaamay" does not mean it is the same greating you need to use around anyone and everyone you meet.

If you're going to start a thread that pokes fun at the rudeness of Somali you first need to understand how a polite person should behave in public, ya geel jire.

NGONGE   

^^ Warya, when it was about teaching you football, I thought "ok, they don't know how the game works and need a hand". When it was about teaching you politics, I thought "ok, they don't know how the game works and need a hand". But inaan edab idin wada baro waa khalad. FIX UP. :D

Alpha Blondy;772015 wrote:
if i were you, i'd jump off the platform.....you're so pathetic walahi. there is nothing anyone can learn from you.

HaHaHa. NG isn't really that bad. He got his moments tho. :)

N.O.R.F   

NGONGE;772003 wrote:
Look, don't mix things up here. Politness is a universal thing and is not Somali specific, saaxib. Many languages in the world even have different phrases and ways to great strangers as opposed to those you know (tous & vous in French, or something along those lines). In addition, when greating a friend and because there is prior familiarity, one can use whatever form of greating there is (some young guys even fart at each other as a form of greating). However, just becuase your mates great you with "waa la idin wada Salaamay" does not mean it is the same greating you need to use around anyone and everyone you meet.

If you're going to start a thread that pokes fun at the rudeness of Somali you first need to understand how a polite person should behave in public, ya geel jire.

We're going around in circles here. I said such a greeting wasn't offensive to most Somalis. You said it was offensive to anyone. Now you've qualified that with 'it isn't offensive among friends'. To cut a long story short, you're again failing to see the greeting in the context of Somalis (who are all friends in a coffee shop and you were with his friends). Would it be rude if said to any other people? Probably but we are talking about a Somali greeting another Somali (different rules apply).

Naga daa the universal nonsense :D

NGONGE   

N.O.R.F;772052 wrote:
We're going around in circles here. I said such a greeting wasn't offensive to most Somalis. You said it was offensive to anyone. Now you've qualified that with 'it isn't offensive among friends'. To cut a long story short, you're again failing to see the greeting in the context of Somalis (who are all friends in a coffee shop and you were with his friends). Would it be rude if said to any other people? Probably but we are talking about a Somali greeting another Somali (different rules apply).

Naga daa the universal nonsense
:D

So why don't you leave it to 'different rules apply' and stop accusing Somalis of being rude? :D

War rude is rude. I do not consider it polite for a total stranger to speak to me in a familiar tone nor do most people. However, since you say Somalis are rude and you also argue that such greatings are normal amongst them, I fully distance myself from such company (as my action with the random greater proved).

p.s.

You know I am right, stop pulling my leg.

N.O.R.F   

^Dee the man wasn't speaking to you alone. You were with others he was on familiar terms with. Adaa meel ka soo boodey. You knew exactly what I meant from the get go :D

NGONGE   

^^ He didn't know any of us warya. Are you now telling me what happened? :D

You can't on the one hand argue that Somalis are rude yet make exceptions for their over-familiar attitudes on the other hand. Wax fahan.