Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Are we a rude people?

N.O.R.F   

^But I can :D

Your case IS an exception (you're the only one who thought it was rude among your mates). It is a common salaan (one accepted by many Somalis). The other examples given in this thread are rude (no two ways about it).

NGONGE   

^^ You are crazy, adeer. You moan about our people being rude to others yet accept that same rudness when it takes place amongst Somalis because, and here is your mad logic, it's a "common salaan".

Well, in that case, the old man that shouted "“Oi warya, you, hindi, you, tea, now, now” does the same thing when he's ordering tea from a Somali waiter. Why accept one and not the other?

Politeness is not something that happens to you, it is something that you are taught, saaxib. I don't care if Sheikh Sharif, Siilaanyo or Faroole come to me with the words "wa la idin wada salaamay". I know who they are and know they are Somali but since I do not have a personal relationship with them, I would still consider it rude if they greeted me with such words. There are no two ways about it, there is no Somali way here. Well, not unless the Somali way is to be rude to everyone and YOU accept it (I'll refuse of course but I'll understand your 'way of life'). Wax fahan.

N.O.R.F   

NGONGE;772116 wrote:
I would still consider it rude if they greeted me with such words. There are no two ways about it, there is no Somali way here. Well, not unless the Somali way is to be rude to everyone and YOU accept it (I'll refuse of course but I'll understand your 'way of life'). Wax fahan.

Dee thats the point I've been making. YOU thought it was rude. Your mates didn't. Your example is subjective. I would wager that most nomads wouldn't find it rude (Poll?).

Actually, I will do a poll (including the other examples). Lets put this to bed.

NGONGE   

N.O.R.F;772118 wrote:
Dee thats the point I've been making. YOU thought it was rude. Your mates didn't. Your example is subjective. I would wager that most nomads wouldn't find it rude (Poll?).

Actually, I will do a poll (including the other examples). Lets put this to bed.

Sheekadaado waa "hada ma wajadna caleeh aabaa'ona" :D

War I don't need a poll done. The title of your argument is that Somalis are rude. How can I accept a 'poll' conducted purly amongst Somalis to determine if something is rude or not? :D

As for that being the point. It is actually not. When the old man spoke "rudely" to the Indian waiter, you did not get annoyed becuase he was being rude (for you freely admit that such rudeness is normal amongst Somalis), you only objected to a strictly Somali habit being applied to an 'outsider' and how this outsider will view you.

Pay attention.

N.O.R.F   

Bow bow.

War I don't need a poll done. The title of your argument is that Somalis are rude. How can I accept a 'poll' conducted purly amongst Somalis to determine if something is rude or not?

It would determine if the guy ku salaamay was actually rude according to other Somalis or if its just you're sensitivities :D

As for that being the point. It is actually not. When the old man spoke "rudely" to the Indian waiter, you did not get annoyed becuase he was being rude (for you freely admit that such rudeness is normal amongst Somalis), you only objected to a strictly Somali habit being applied to an 'outsider' and how this outsider will view you

Wow, you read minds? :D

The way the old man addressed the waitor and the way the guy ku salaamay are completely different. The guy wasn't rude to you (waabu ku salaamay). You don't get the Somali greetings and its variations. The old man was just rude towards the waitor.

We can get a sample from the nomads. The threads asks 'if' Somalis are rude. We BOTH acknowledge some of them are (keep up now).

Fulay!

NGONGE   

N.O.R.F;772128 wrote:
Bow bow.

It would determine if the guy ku salaamay was actually rude according to other Somalis or if its just you're sensitivities
:D

Wow, you read minds?
:D

The way the old man addressed the waitor and the way the guy ku salaamay are completely different. The guy wasn't rude to you (waabu ku salaamay). You don't get the Somali greetings and its variations. The old man was just rude towards the waitor.

We can get a sample from the nomads. The threads asks 'if' Somalis are rude. We BOTH acknowledge some of them are (keep up now).

Fulay!

I don't read minds, I follow logical arguments. Wax fahan.

What will your poll be? That someone saying to a group of strangers "wa la idin salaamy" is not rude? Wala xawla! :D

But if it make you happy, go ahead and have your poll, it'll mean that I'll have a bigger class to teach, that's all. :D

p.s.

I aknowledge that, like any other nationality, we too have rude Somalis. You on the other hand are trying to argue the meaning of rudeness. Two different things, adeer.

NGONGE   

بما انك الشخص الذي فتح لنا هذا الموضوع (او علي الاقل هذا الشطر من الموضوع) فمن الاخلاق (ام هو الذوق؟) ان تساعد علي انهائه.

يا أخي ساعدني ان افهم صديقي في الاعلي بأن التعامل مع الغرباء يتطلب حدا كبيرا من الرسميات والاحترام المتبادل. وانه ان ابتداء الشخص حديثه مع الغرباء بعبارة "سّلم عليكم" فأنه يتخلي عن الرسميات المتطلبه في مثل هذه المواقف ويسنح الفرصه لخصمه الفرصه ليرد عليه بمثلها او اكثر.

Norf, sarrifka Maaddeey ayaa kuu haya...

Rude? I don't know. Insensitive and a don't care attitude? Maybe. I think, Some Somalis have a little bit of rudeness and lack of peoples skills(Especially towards foreigners and non Somalis). I dont think all somalis are rude all the time...In my experience, i noticed , most Somalis tend to be more gentler on fellow Somalis. I mean words of endearment fly off every Faarax and Xalimo's mouth like a maasai throwing tobacco spit..you will hear words like "abowe,abaayo macaan, walaal, huno, garaad, ugaas, gudoomiye, generalle" literally every minute L0L.

There also those that are just plain bilaa akhlaaq...i mean, how else do you explain someone being rude except lacking in akhlaaq? then they are the old folks who just dont give a fck no more,lol. They will say anything and to anyone.

But one trait that I've also noted among Somalis is the lack of Patience. Even in holy places like the mosque. Soon as the imam says Salaam aleykum, they all at once aim for the exit. They create a pandemonium for no reason....on several occasions, dudes shove me a side and not even apologize or even acknowledge that there is some1 in front of them,but being the sujui that i am, i just keep quite and shake my head..bal xageey u cararaayan? the funny thing, you will see the same dude who ran you over, chat to his fellow faarax on the masjid hallway.

N.O.R.F   

NGONGE;772136 wrote:
^^ No thanks. Marko i gaado ayuu odhan "it's the Somali way and it's not rude". Naga daaya.

I would let you win just to be polite :D

N.O.R.F   

^What Somali? :D

I was with a friend the other day looking at cars. The Indian guy talking to us asked where we were from to which we replied Somalia (sorry JB). He wouldn't have it that my friend was Somali. He said he was too light to be Somali lol. When asked where he thought my friend was from he said "I don't know. Hes new". I was in stiches and my friend was just puzzled :D :D