Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Ban Khat in the UK - sign the epetition

Knowing UK has more Qat chewing Somalis than anywhere else, hope there is way for addicts to get help. Like a rehab center or something. U don't wanna ban it all of a sudden and expect Khat addicts to cope with it.

NGONGE   

Abu-Salman;765177 wrote:
Agreed ElPunto, the powdered form in Canada limits its appeal unlike in my area where you would think Mafrishs are opening in every other building, full of youngsters on fresh potent leaves.

What those "studies" fail to mention is that khat is also a gateway for many other things, including heavy drinking, routinely used for "mirqan jabis" or against chewing hangover, to enable continuous chewing (many even alternate between those two plus cannabis etc).

With many women now addicted, those khat or drinking places often double as underground brothels too accross Somali communities, TB epidemy incubators and so on and so forth...

Xata |anta ya Abu Salman? :D

I weep for Somalis. I truly do. :(

^^Are you capable of weeping? - given your previous statements on not being emotional like NORF whom you accused of wearing his heart on his sleeve. :D

NGONGE   

^^ War even my "weeping" came after six pages of arguments and counter arguments. Norf, Abu Salman, El Punto (and others) weep on the spot. Naga daa dee. :D

Seriously though, I find the general attitude furstrating and know that it is applied to every situation. Suffice it to say that if I were accused of any crime I would never want any of the guys above to sit in judgment. If they like me they'll acquit me and if they hate me they'll send me down.

N.O.R.F   

:D

If you requested ample reasearch into say banning wireless internet in homes (due to unknown effects as its still quite new) I would agree with you. But the effects of khat are known to you and many others. That alone should be enough for a ban. Laakin hanging your hat on not knowing the consequences of a ban and demanding an essay (when you have all the good nations of Scandanavia and Canada as examples) is a tad melodramatic :D

^Marka way kaa oohiyin uun? :D

As for your next statement - that is not just something that is unique to Somalis - otherwise there would be no laws against 'conflict of interest'.

As for the issue - I am in agreement with your sentiments - the only difference is I am willing to offer a counter solution rather than just arguing against the ban. So saxiib offer them something they can think about that might persuade them to look at alternatives to total ban. For example, I would suggest, that the Khat trade is regulated properly, starting with licence for traders/marfishes and reducing the imports to once a week and perhaps further reducing to twice a month thing etc etc.

What do you think?

NGONGE   

Sayid*Somal;765334 wrote:
^Marka way kaa oohiyin uun?

As for your next statement - that is not just something that is unique to Somalis - otherwise there would be no laws against 'conflict of interest'.

As for the issue - I am in agreement with your sentiments - the only difference is I am willing to offer a counter solution rather than just arguing against the ban. So saxiib offer them something they can think about that might persuade them to look at alternatives to total ban. For example, I would suggest, that the Khat trade is regulated properly, starting with licence for traders/marfishes and reducing the imports to once a week and perhaps further reducing to twice a month thing etc etc.

What do you think?

I can't offer them anything when we do not agree with the first point, saaxib. Norf still thinks I am asking him to research the effects of Khat on people!

Adigo you are coming from a different angle and talking about an entirely different thing. In that area, I can more than wax lyrical, saaxib. EE horta tan aan ku heshino.

p.s.

I know it is the same all over the world but the world does not concern me here, Somalis do.

N.O.R.F   

^The stubborness goes both ways here saxib :D

Sayid, good suggestion. Increase the duty on khat to a level that makes it difficult to overly consume the stuff. Mijintu in labaatan gini wax ka yar lagu iibsadoba maaha. This will gradually go up as inflation goes up giving the chance for Ngonge's 'uknown' consequences to gradually peeter out.

NGONGE   

N.O.R.F;765348 wrote:
^The stubborness goes both ways here saxib

Sayid, good suggestion. Increase the duty on khat to a level that makes it difficult to overly consume the stuff. Mijintu in labaatan gini wax ka yar lagu iibsadoba maaha. This will gradually go up as inflation goes up giving the chance for Ngonge's 'uknown' consequences to gradually peeter out.

What's stubborn in asking you to slow down and ensure what you're asking for is right, saaxib? Casa an takraho shay'an wahowa khayron lakom miyaanad maqal? How about better the devil you know? There is nothing stubborn about what I'm arguing here.

If you want to ban Khat because you feel it is the responsible thing to do then you also have to be responsible in the way you go about doing it (in other words, don't leave a stone unturned before deciding it's the best option).

Sayid, like I told him is looking at a different argument. If that's what you're after, then we don't need any petitions. All you have to do is gather all the jilted wives, heartbroken mothers and angry fathers. Take them to Heathrow airport on everyday that Khat gets delivered and let them give the suppliers hell. Heck, you can even park outside the houses of the big khat importers and shame them into going into hiding or something.

There are too many ways to do this and none of them would involve a demand for a ban and the criminalisation of thousands of people. Lakin ma cid fakarysa baa jirta, waa 'get one good idea on facebook' and run with it without thinking of any consequences or problems that might arise from your 'good' idea. War naga daaya..dacar fooqal dacar.

Ngonge, "criminalisation" is all relative; you may even walk out free within two years after stabbing someone here.

I'm sure most of them would join their friends renting sports halls instead etc.

Khat nowadays is altogether another beast.

And the real criminals are always those who practice "let live" liberalism yet spare no expense to insulate their relative in rehabilitation, offer their children travels or tuitions, avoid TVs at home etc precisely to divert them from all those "free choices" .

Many of them would not even dare eating the junk common in our homes but see no problem in their Mc Do franchise milking deprived ghettos.

PS: I'd be eager for myself to be banned of many things and is very grateful for much of past strict rules....

N.O.R.F   

NGONGE;765366 wrote:
What's stubborn in asking you to slow down and ensure what you're asking for is right, saaxib? Casa an takraho shay'an wahowa khayron lakom miyaanad maqal? How about better the devil you know? There is nothing stubborn about what I'm arguing here.

If you want to ban Khat because you feel it is the responsible thing to do then you also have to be responsible in the way you go about doing it (in other words, don't leave a stone unturned before deciding it's the best option).

Sayid, like I told him is looking at a different argument. If that's what you're after, then we don't need any petitions. All you have to do is gather all the jilted wives, heartbroken mothers and angry fathers. Take them to Heathrow airport on everyday that Khat gets delivered and let them give the suppliers hell. Heck, you can even park outside the houses of the big khat importers and shame them into going into hiding or something.

There are too many ways to do this and none of them would involve a demand for a ban and the criminalisation of thousands of people. Lakin ma cid fakarysa baa jirta, waa 'get one good idea on facebook' and run with it without thinking of any consequences or problems that might arise from your 'good' idea. War naga daaya..dacar fooqal dacar.

You’re beating a dead horse warya. Sheekado dhan waad la socota. There are no problems in countries where khat is illegal. They don’t have scores of chewers sitting in jail. If someone breaks the law then they are criminals. Big deal! Your stubbornness is in looking but failing to see! You’re either for a ban or against it (you have the full info). Naga daa ruwaayada.

As for what Sayid suggested, that can be a good back up plan.

NGONGE   

^^ There are no problems in countries where khat is illegal? PROVE IT (for I don't know and, I'd wager that you yourself don't). War macqool ku hadal dee. I am not for a ban until I know (FOR SURE) that a ban will be WORTH IT. WAx fahan.

Abu Salman, I never knew you were this militant, saaxib. Still, if we follow your logic and oppose the "let live" liberalism, how are we to decide what is allowed and what isn't? AND, how do we know that most of the freedoms that we have (as an alien community) will not be banned or restricted because someone on the other side believes us to be a nuisance?

Let live is a great idea and way of life. The rest is all "self regulation".

A_Khadar   

NGONGE;764832 wrote:
Nope. Nor would I encourage anyone to sign this kneejerk nonsense.

Malika, what difference does it make is not really an argument though, is it?

He doesn't want to be ban it... Wax fahan.. Norf, I didn't read all pages and I you mention it can be faked some of the address in UK for those outside UK, can you give some sample address to modify/duplicate etc.. NO idea UK's address format.. Does p.o.box work?

A_Khadar   

Nin-Yaaban;765191 wrote:
Knowing UK has more Qat chewing Somalis than anywhere else, hope there is way for addicts to get help. Like a rehab center or something. U don't wanna ban it all of a sudden and expect Khat addicts to cope with it.

UKers are no good for business what bunch of reer Waqooyis.. If other places, this would be a good business to make money out of it to open rehab centers and solicit funding from governmental and none orgs to support... NG, think about this, it could fatten your retirement account..

Baashi   

Northerner, I know you mean good but here is something you need to consider. I got a call from Minneapolis about three months ago or so by a friend to inform me hebel (a relative) has been detained in Amarillo, Texas and charged with using and transporting narcotic (dried, crushed leaves of qat called garaabo by nomads in the states) weighing 4.5 grams -- a felony in Texas. He drives eight wheel truck for a living and makes a descent money.

They put him in a county jail. His bail was set to 10 grand. He was facing 22 years of prison -- still is. His bio looks like this -- divorced with two boys, about 31 years old, working and trying to make the ends meet.

Multiply hebel by factor of thousand Somali! Any Somali who gets caught consuming qat in Texas faces similar charges. How many of the new arrivals from Kenya and Ethiopia are aware of this hefty punishment?

Once you criminalize you give prosecutors a tool to round up the offenders. In a perfect and just world punishment ought to commensurate with the offence. The thing is folks like you and me do not have the influence or clout to determine what degree of punishment our folks should receive for eating banned qat. Awoowe careful what you wish for.

I have hunch that you don’t want to condemn a productive man with no prior history of criminal misconduct behind bars for that long because he consumed narcotic called qat.

I am interested in stopping the flow of money from Somalia to Kenya and Ethiopia. They’re draining us economically.