Sign in to follow this  
A_Khadar

Ghost City, Inside Mogadisho - Video from PBS

NASSIR   

Mogadishu is like Baghdad : An expansive City defined by ancient civilization. Despite the religious and tribal wars, Xamar still preserves its distinct mark and advantage over the peripheral regions and it might restore the competitive rivalry with Addis Ababa & Nairobi. The capital of Greater Somalia will sooner than later bless its sons & daughters to overcome the external and internal obstacles to peace.

It might be a ghost city today in the eyes of foreigners but it is the permanent capital city of the republic.

Still looks beautiful...20yrs of war couldn't obliterate Mogadishu.We r resistant to certain disease(war).Alla ha u naxariisto dadka aan waxba galabsan ee ku dhintay.

Alderman   

The questions we must be asking are:

'Why did Somalia not develop world class infrastructure after the Italians left?'

'Why do the majority of women dress like ninjas?'

'Why are they still fighting, where are there brain cells?'

@Alderman: some women started dressing this way from late 80s on...brain washed !! Mogadishu was a classic city....this is when I find out ur not somali(not that I care,but you have little information when things get into nitty gritty).

Why they fighting??!! same as in Afganistan & Pakistan; these nuts believe keeping fighting will ultimately lead to their victory! Turtles!

They are nite gangsters.

Alderman   

@burahadeer The irony is that the original Muslims, Arabs, are laughing at these nut jobs in Somalia :rolleyes:

But seeing these ridiculous clothing makes me sick. Hopefully there will be saviour in the form of a political party which advocates secularism and equality for women.

Btw I am Somali, just not familiar with the culture :P;)

^ Such malaayacni reveals your ignorance. A party that preaches secularism and equality will change how women dress? Perhaps these women like their jilbaabs, why should it make you feel sick? If you have nothing intelligent to say, maybe waxaa kuu fiican inaad iska aamustid, because now we are laughing at YOU.

Muqdishu, despite burburka, is still pretty elegant. Good city planning is so important - the layout, wide boulevards and the clean, slightly Eastern architecture is still very discernable.

No doubt the city will recover but I hope strict measures are put place in terms of renovations and rebuilding so the classic style of the city can be restored. It would be a nightmare for Xamar to fall into the crude, haphazard, multi-coloured and downright garish architecture trap of other cities.

Great video. The old man at 8.13 made me laugh, bless him. It's like he's joking with friends over tea rather than in dhufeys. The young reporter, Ilaahay khayr ha siiyo, is so inspirational. Such conviction and clarity of mind at 17, having being born into the conflict and not seen anything else. In comparison, the fat, hijabified Al Shabaab fools look retarded - Ilaahay god madow ha ku rido balaayada oo dadka ha ka badbaadiyo.

@ Alderman: True that Arabs are laughing on the side walk...all the most radical states are non-arab!!! Afganistan,Pakistan,Iran,Somalia..............

Nina Fox   

Alderman;743820 wrote:
The questions we must be asking are:

'Why did Somalia not develop world class infrastructure after the Italians left?'

'Why do the majority of women dress like ninjas?'

'Why are they still fighting, where are there brain cells?'

Good Q's.

1. Not being familiar with the history and architecture of Pre-war Somalia myself, I was curious to read about it online. Apparently we had Castles, Fortresses, Stone Cities, tombs etc. This link might be useful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somalian_architecture(although Im sure there are more reliable sources available somewhere). All I remember from my short stay in Mogadishu as a child was that the Villa's were very white and some gates were very loud. A lot of pink and green if I recall.....not pretty if you ask me. I would lock the decorators in Abu Ghraib for life.

2. This Ninja business started after the war. Before that, its said that very little people called the Ikhwaan Muslimiin used to wear the Jalbaab. Al Shabaab had a major influence on the people regarding this matter. This is the only thing I agree with them on when it came to their Taliban-style regime. This form of dress-code is mentioned in the Qur'an and every Moslem woman is adviced to follow suit. Alhamdullilaah most women (even in the diaspora) have adopted this libaas.

3. As far as the fighting goes, Somalia suffers from a disease called TribaLgitis. 99% of the Somali people are diagnosed with this. The main symptom is believing in "My tribe is better than yours" notion. This disease has no cure unfortunately. The funny thing is everyone frowns upon this custom of being a Qabiiliste and pretends to be all for a "ONE SOMALIA". These people are either in denial, living inside a bubble or are lying to themselves coz subconsciously everyone is a hardcore Qabiiliste, some project it more than others.

I haven't done justice in any of my descriptions but thats how I see it :)

The Zack   

Alderman, Mocking the Sunnah is felony if not murtadnimo at its best. Xijaab and Niqaab is the Sunnah set by the Rasuul SCW.

Thanks to PBS for this video but they got it wrong, Xamar is not a ghost city.

Showqi   

Nina Fox;743919 wrote:
Somalia suffers from a disease called TribaLgitis. 99% of the Somali people are diagnosed with this.

I would say that was the old generation. Kuwaan yar yar Af Soomaaligii aabo dhib ku eh, Qabiil maxeey ka kasayaan!