Sign in to follow this  
Alderman

Why do Somali girls/women accept being treated as second class citizens?

Alderman   

By Somali girls/women I mean those who are in Somalia who 'willingly' seem to accept being treated little better than an animal. They have few rights, are seen as 'baby producing factories' and are forced to mutilate their genitals at young age. Also young girls around the age of six are forced to wear hijab/headscarve. Why is that?

That's is not all true.Somali women historically r the freest of all muslim women.Go to non shabab controlled parts & u be surprised. Genital mutilation is 3000yr old pharonic tradition that encompasses atleast 1/2 of africa.It has nothing to do with men & is almost non-existant nowadays except possibly remote country side.I know some people will make waves here..they need to go there & find out.If u go to most non shabab areas(ova 80% of country),less than 20% have hijab.TRUE.

NASSIR   

The FGM practice had been something prevalent in rural areas, but our women in general occupy a preeminent place in our society as they had been purveyors and decision makers of important things in public life. Don't be swayed by the media in concert with the ones who chose to portray their religion and culture unfavorable compared to the ones they embraced in return for fortune and fame.

Aaliyyah   

I think you live in the past, none of that really exist nowadays...

even back home many of my cousins only have four/three kids...khasab ma jiro! People choose to live their life how they want!.

gudniinkana dadku hada way fahmeen in uu wacneen..ka sunaha ka sakow!

As for a 7 years old wearing hijaab? so what? I left somalia much younger than that..and still wore my hijaab at 7. That has a lot to do with how the family wants to raise their kids up?...how come lugugaab yar ilmaha marka lo xidhi is freedom laakin hijaab ma aha freedom? both times you are teaching the child a code of dressing...so doesnt a parent has the right to instil in their child what they think is right? ofcourse 15 xijaab lugu khasbo ma aminsani anigu..laakin if u teach ur child the importance of hijaab at 7 theres more chance a girl by 15 yrs old would adjust to it and know her deen...

waligay ma fahmo dadka dhaha gabadhahdeedu xijaab waxay xidhanasa high school markay gaadho...ma waxyi baa kusoo dagaya...just like we send our kids to school from young age...whatever is important to u u gotta teach them at that young age...bari is too damn late!

With that been said, I think you should worry about the sad state somalia finds itself today..teh famine the civil war etc...

salaam

Nina Fox   

loool@second class citizens. Reminds me of the *Achuut* (Untouchable) Indian caste.

Alderman comes across as a non-somali. How accurate is me? *Aheeey*

its not second class, somali/muslim girls have their roles in society. leadership, work is for men. and women take care of home, children and give birth. there is nothing second class about that.

Alderman   

Axmed-InaJaad;739373 wrote:
its not second class, somali/muslim girls have their roles in society. leadership, work is for men. and women take care of home, children and give birth. there is nothing second class about that.

That would have rang true in the 19th century but certainly not in the 21st century. :)

I know eh? Aren't Somali 6 year olds such stup!d cowards? I mean, to subject themselves to FGM and hijaab at that age is unbelievable.

Alderman;739928 wrote:
That would have rang true in the
19th century
but certainly not in the 21st century.
:)

Women don't give birth or take care of home in the 21st century?

Femme...FGM is just horrible practice. Educating mothers will go a long way in eradicating this heinous thing.