Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Suxuur Spot

Aaliyyah   

To avoid heart burn stay clear of heavy foods & especially fried stuff which has too much herbs added to it. Ramadan is about self-restraint, that includes after you afur as well.

Good Saxuur foods:

Yogurt with a tea spoon of flaxseed

Cereal/Weetbix with banana or berries

Porrige with Agave nectar

Toast / sandwich (light toppings)

Pancake with dates (malawax from earlier on)

Fruit with frozen yogurt or ice cream (it’s really hot at the moment)

Slice of plain cake and milk

Soup with a bun or slice of toast (if you’re very hungry)

Or at least that’s what I would eat if I ever woke up for saxur, the prayer & cup of tea and a glass of water if there is time is usually enough. I am always astounded that people can eat full meals at that hour of the night. People eating heavy afur/saxur are doing themselves no favours.

Lily, thank you walaal for your suggestions. Someone needs to advice these guys (ayoub and Ob iyo kuwa sidoodu kale bariis aroorti cuna)...acuudubilaah we eat bariis for suxuur iyo chicken kulahaa!

Ayoub lol like lily said u are not doing yourself a favour ee walaal bal eat healthy :D..follow Lily's advice..she gave couple of nice suggestions there even if u don't like sareen iyo borash iyo waxaas (aniga aad uma jecli borash ama sareen laakin wa iska cuna it is better to be healthy)..kolay bariis aroorti saa markay early u tahay maba cuni karo..

salaam

P.s Lily u should wake up for suxur, to me it never makes sense to wake up for fajr but not for suxur! hada kolay saladi u kacasid oo ay khasab tahay in aa tukatid maxa cuntada uga boodi lol..bt I can understand wanting to sleep a bit more, maybe u should sleep a bit earlier than usual just a thought :D

Kool_Kat   

nuune;737905 wrote:
Ps: Hopefully tonight thinkin of having suxuur for dooro-kalliifkeed, I had the same for iftaar one time last year.

Dooro kaliifkeed, mee laki aamee, MUUFOO!!! Ciyaal maama yaashaan maa dooro kaliifkeed usheegee? lol

I usually don't bother with suxuur...I just can not wake up in the middle of the night to eat and go back to sleep...But do drink lots of water throughout the night...

Had my mom's famous kalaankal and malawax for afur yesterday...Mango shake-na waan ku dajiyay...:D Couldn't be bothered with the baasto iyo suugo iyo steak...No suxuur again last night, I'm seeing doubles now...Si bey maanta iiga wareersan tahay...

Aaliyyah   

^ oh coool...so kalaankal is the reer hamar way of saying suqaar. waan gartay..for a minute I thought it was a new dish I was excited :P

so she ate at her mom's house suqaar iyo malawax iyo mango..afur wacan ba kugu dhacay Ms.Kool Kat maybe that's why you skipped suxuur LOL...these days i cant stand rice muchhhhhhh..or baasto..suqaar ba jeclahay!..im gonna make it today again inshallah...

any other tips people..what do u guys cook?

salaam

A_Khadar   

Ooh my allah.. Had I not eaten Zambuusa yesterday Afur time, I wouldn't feel all this heartburns I am feeling today..

Thanks all for the nice tips...

Aaliyyah   

^yesterday I didn't even bother making samosa, I know samosa is what makes ramadan ramadan..bt I think dadka hada wayba sanifayaan..maybe I will make it one of these days bt I guess it is no longer the every day ramadan food that u need to have at your table!...

anyways ppl im gonna go thru this website...www.mysomalifood.com that was suggested to us on another thread by our lovely sister Blessed..hopefully I wil find something I can cook for Iftar today :D..and if u guys have any other suggestions add to it

salaam

A_Khadar   

^^ I am not sure if you eat suhur, but if you do try Soor with Ciir/butter milk... It helped me through the first day, no hunger, thursty or heartburns..

Aaliyyah   

^I used to be lazy..but alhamdulilah I have changed lol..now I do eat suxuur...but soor kama helo..soor waa shuuro somaha??..I would eat saren over it any day!..bt yeah thanks for the suggestion! It wouldn't hurt to try!

salaam

Kool_Kat   

Aaliyah, Kalaankal waa hilibka suqaarka, but not prepared the same way as suqaar! *Does that even make sense?* N'way, waa hilibka suqaarka oo saliid iyo basal kaliya lagu shiilay oo la gaduudiyay oo aan dheecaan iyo maraq iyo waxba leheen...

Today on the menu is sabaayad, tandoori chicken and qudaar gooni loo kariyay...I'm being asked to make sambuus, but all the hassle isn't worth it, so I'll just pick it up from the maqaayad on the way home later...

Kool_Kat   

A_Khadar;738307 wrote:
Ooh my allah.. Had I not eaten Zambuusa yesterday Afur time, I wouldn't feel all this heartburns I am feeling today..

Thanks all for the nice tips...

This is the main reason I avoid to have sambuus at my home...Hadii loo bareerona dee maqaayadaan uga doonaa...This is probably the only thing I would support AlShabab to ban! :P

Aaliyyah   

Koolkat, it makes perfect sense! I will give it a shot, so it is onion, hilib suqaar and that's it..all I have to do is fry and season it??! sounds so easy!

there were days I used to love sanbuus, but those are gonnnne! I don't like it ..i guess wuu iga batay!

Val check out that website I posted.. www.mysomalifood.com you can also look for tammy's somali home. She has plenty of recipes..I hope that helps!..

salam

Kool_Kat   

Aaliyah, kalaankal doesn't need a lot of seasoning, only maraq digaag (daadabarood?) ku dar and cook on low heat si uu hilibka u jilco...Markuu jilco basal kula shiil ilaa uu guduuto...

Val, you started it! :P

A_Khadar   

Kool_Kat;738312 wrote:
This is the main reason I avoid to have sambuus at my home...Hadii loo bareerona dee maqaayadaan uga doonaa...This is probably the only thing I would support AlShabab to ban!
:P

;);) I knew my day would be as bad as it's now, but I couldn't helped eating that triangle things when I saw them yesterday.. Maxaa igu watay baan ku jiraa hada.. too much gas is going;);)