Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Somaliland Moving Library tour

Juxa   

Ibti so pleased to read this and of course very proud of the whole team.

maasha allah indeed ( i happily donate our cake sessions as you doing more worthy things with the time)

Ibtisam   

I am in Boram tonight, will have the event tomorrow.

Will post my review of Laas Anood and Borama tomorrow!!!!

LSK loading pictures is a bit tricky but you can follow the development on Red sea online and Cable TV (they have followed our Journey fully)

As for the books- Taalexi it is a general- we are just highlighting the importance of reading and writing- and providing 50 books to each town mostly health, enviroment or poetary related. So Dont get your knickers in a twist- this is not political related.

ElPunto   

^You and Taleexi are spoiling this thread. There is no history to contest. The only book mentioned was Animal Farm. Literature is what is being distributed not history. Good for the kids and good for literacy among Somalis.

Blessed   

The moving library is not a political institution so lets not politicise it. The books vary, from children's books to poetry and translations of classics from other countries.

Som@li.

I guess you're not a big book fan. A library is far more interesting than a boring internet website. As well as reading the actual books, people got speak to the authors and discuss the issues raised in the books. A library encourages sharing of books, ideas and Insha Allah increased readership back home will mean more youngsters will be encouraged to share and form their own opinions. Vast majority of people back home don't have access to the internet and / or can't afford to buy many books.

Keep up the great work, Ibts and team HBF. :)

Jacaylbaro;733874 wrote:
Don't mind him ,, he is just a boy from the dark part of the Somali peninsula where the good things are not appreciated.
:(

yea koonfurians don't understand the imbortance of education

I joined the moving library to Gebiley but didn't make it to Borama ..... I only needed cuppa tea to continue but damn the addiction :D

Taleexi   

Waryaa Oodweyne: I'm speaking from experience - I know the front runners of the caravan - be Dr. Jama, Author Bashe and others. And I and they have exchanged our views on numerous occasions. As a result of it we agreed to respect our differences. I was worried some of their biases may be imbued to the gullible masses. That is all there is to say. However, in the grand scheme of things, I fully support any endeavor that fights ignorance in all forms and shapes possible such as "Somaliland" Moving Library Tour. Don't try to run away from your own feet :)

Ibti: Thanks for the clarity and nothing to be agitated from. Btw, best to you all in the tour.

Som@li   

*Blessed;733983 wrote:

Som@li.

I guess you're not a big book fan. A library is far more interesting than a boring internet website. As well as reading the actual books, people got speak to the authors and discuss the issues raised in the books. A library encourages sharing of books, ideas and Insha Allah increased readership back home will mean more youngsters will be encouraged to share and form their own opinions. Vast majority of people back home don't have access to the internet and / or can't afford to buy many books.

Keep up the great work, Ibts and team HBF.
:)

I understand the issue of "Digital Divide" and Yeah it has to be addressed as well, but all over the world, Bookshops, Libraries will close down and move online. It is time to embrace the change, and not re-invent the wheel.

Anyway, Good job by Ibti and team.

Blessed   

I disgaree, digital books have a long way to go before they can compete paper publications, esp in the developing world. I can't see how a kindle can ever compete with artistic value of a children's books and then, you have the issue of battery life and potential loss of data which are a constant worry for the consumer. Books also have this special cultural value all over the world and are on the most part easier to maintain and far more mobile than digital books, I can see myself reading my book on the coast of Berbera as I sip on my shaah with sinjabiil or on the London underground. I don't see them going out of fashion anytime soon.

Secondly, libraries in the west have moved with the times and are taking reading and information sharing to a whole new interactive level, expanding the remit of the library. However, in the Somali context, we're lagging behind the rest of the world on so many levels that this digital age malarky won't even be an issue for us for a very long time. :(

Jacaylbaro;733997 wrote:
^ ^ Waar shuta fukup ....
:D

xishoodbaro Jacalybaro. we shud teach konfurians about y educashon imbortant and maybe they can have their own libiries.